cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zyondurex
Journeyman III

amd a-10 8700p in laptop can it be replaced with a newer chip a-12, or a fx or is the apu I already have the most I can hope for?

I  just recently got this laptop HP Pavilion 17-g121wm Laptop AMD A10-8700P 1.8GHz 8GB 1TB 17.3in W10

can  a apu upgrade be  done?  and how do I know my options  for what line of cpu is able to be supported ?

0 Likes
5 Replies

Re: amd a-10 8700p in laptop can it be replaced with a newer chip a-12, or a fx or is the apu I already have the most I can hope for?

Laptops cannot be upgraded.

0 Likes
techguy
Forerunner

Re: amd a-10 8700p in laptop can it be replaced with a newer chip a-12, or a fx or is the apu I already have the most I can hope for?

You'd need to contact HP to see what if any upgrade options are available. Some laptops can be upgraded but any upgrade depends on what the laptop maker offers for a faster processor option on the exact laptop model as the BIOS must support any faster processor option desired/offered. There are also thermal limitations to be considered so no significant processor upgrade is typically worth the effort. A small performance gain on laptops is possible with an SSD to replace the very slow 2.5" HDDs used in many laptops.

0 Likes
zyondurex
Journeyman III

thanks, but do you know if the socket board would be in general able to

support an fx chip or amd12. i mean would in general a new board be

needed or would the cpu fit on it?

0 Likes
zyondurex
Journeyman III

thanks, but I guess I wold want to know if the socket board would fit

in general amd a-4 up to fx cpu? or is each board different? like if i

needed to replace the cpu desktop or laptop Im just curious

0 Likes
techguy
Forerunner

Re: amd a-10 8700p in laptop  can it be replaced with a newer chip a-12, or a fx  or is the  apu I already have the most I can hope for?

Only HP can answer the question as they are the ones who designed the mobo. Unless their is published info. some where online for the exact model and Rev. mobo that you have in your laptop, there is no way to know other than asking HP. With consumer desktop mobos the manufacturer supplies the mobo specifications and supported processor info. on their website.

0 Likes