Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

amd 8780p extreme edition 4C,8G

Jump to solution

Hello to everyone!

Recently i bought an hp laptop with an amd processor. The system is running windows 10 home.

Since i am new and happy amd user i would like to know how many processing cores does the 8780p extreme have...

Windows for some reason detects the cpu incorrectly. Specifically it says that the cpu have 2 cores and 4 logical processors.

Cpu-z says that 8780p is a 4core/4thread cpu. Which one is correct?

If windows cpu detection is wrong, does this affect the overall performance of the cpu?

thank you in advance

George

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: amd 8780p extreme edition 4C,8G

Jump to solution

Yes, each module (referred to as a core) has 2 integer processors instead of 1, it was AMD's response to SMT (Hyperthreading) Intel used by actually having a full second processor so there would always be performance scaling instead of a possible 0% there can be with SMT. Sadly non server applications didn't take advantage of it, and AMD didn't slave the two integer processors together, which is where the 2 core 4 thread description comes from.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

The A10-8780P has 2 Excavator Modules each composed of 2 integer and 1 floating point processor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

2 Excavator Modules = 2 integer + 1 floating point = 4 integer , 2 floating points in total?

I cant understand i am sorry. In my mind its like a dual core cpu but inside every core they are 2 integer and 1 floating processors. Is this somehow right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Yes, each module (referred to as a core) has 2 integer processors instead of 1, it was AMD's response to SMT (Hyperthreading) Intel used by actually having a full second processor so there would always be performance scaling instead of a possible 0% there can be with SMT. Sadly non server applications didn't take advantage of it, and AMD didn't slave the two integer processors together, which is where the 2 core 4 thread description comes from.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Thank you black_zion for the explanation

0 Kudos