cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

THOROUT
Journeyman III

AMD 5950 CPU Motherboards, which is the absolute best??

Latest Best high end motherboard for 5000 series chip-sets?

I was going to order the 5950 CPU, then thought I would ask for professional opinions. 2 x 3090 RTX CARDS.

Can anyone share some light please

0 Likes
7 Replies
Hot5950x
Adept I

My opinion on this is that there's a good answer ATM. All manufacturers are updating mobos with BIOS updates and all, that I've seen anyway, are having trouble along the way. Whether its around RAM speeds or, as we're seeing a lot of around here, high 5 series CPU temps.

Most of these sorts issues appear to be stemming from immature BIOS updates, so its more a case of seeing how things pan out in the coming weeks and months. 

0 Likes

If you want a pretty good board but not the most expensive a Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi). 

If money is no object and you want the very best a couple good choices are  X570 Aorus Xtreme & MSI X570 Godlike

A lot of people with Gigabyte Aorus X570 Xtreme have big problems with 5950X. Reboots and WHEA errors.
Not a good day to suggest it is "absolute best"

0 Likes

Thanks for the share. I don't know on any of these that it is the board causing issues. We see the errors on just about any board out there with some memory and any board sporting the microcode that came out over the summer in preparation for Zen3. Many who could regress the bios and that problem disappears. You can't do that though if you need the Zen3 support. Many are finding that lowering their memory speeds down to 3600 or below helps this greatly. I hope AMD will fix this but its been an issue for a while and boy a lot of the Zen3 customers are complaining. 

I can't imagine spending 1600 bucks on a motherboard though. I am more in the 125 bucks range. LOL

0 Likes

5950x and 2x3090 means you're not building on the cheap side, so limiting your motherboard budget to 125 bucks seems a bit far fetched ... 

You'll want to stretch that to at least the 250$ range for decent options (x570 chipset as you probably want native pcie 4.0 for those cards with this cpu)

Don't have any exact models to recomend, been using an Msi X570 Tomahawk that's within that price range myself but wasn't exempt of WHEA issues either (unsure if they fixed it with a new bios, my cpu is awaiting rma for a couple weeks now) 

0 Likes

@tatane wrote:

5950x and 2x3090 means you're not building on the cheap side, so limiting your motherboard budget to 125 bucks seems a bit far fetched ... 

You'll want to stretch that to at least the 250$ range for decent options (x570 chipset as you probably want native pcie 4.0 for those cards with this cpu)

Don't have any exact models to recomend, been using an Msi X570 Tomahawk that's within that price range myself but wasn't exempt of WHEA issues either (unsure if they fixed it with a new bios, my cpu is awaiting rma for a couple weeks now) 

The OP isn't limiting to 125 bucks I said my board was 125 bucks. They didn't give a price just wanted to know the best boards so I priced a few good boards at different price points. All way above 125. 

0 Likes

my bad indeed, should have read better 

0 Likes