cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

killroy2963
Adept II

AMD 5900X cooling question

So seeing how the 5900X is basically the same thermals as the 3900X, is it possible to use the AMD Wraith for cooling?

0 Likes
1 Solution

The 3900X has the same TPD wattage of 105 as the 5900X so with your room temperature at 68f, The Wraith Prism should do the same efficient cooling on the 5900X as it did on the 3900X.

When my room temperature is 78f and I stress test my Ryzen, the temperature doesn't go over 60c but when the room temperature is around 82-83f and I stress test my Ryzen the temperature goes up to but not past 70C.

So room temperature is an important factor in keeping your computer hardware from overheating or running hot.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
xlox
Forerunner

if you know what you are doing , there is nothing holding you from testing it ... if cooler is well mounted but not sufficent at worse cpu should throttle if too hot

That processor has a TDP of 105 Watts so it is a high wattage Processor.

If you install a Wraith CPU Cooler you will need to install the Wraith Prism or Max to be able to keep that processor within its Maximum Operating Temperatures.

I would suggest a 3rd Party CPU Cooler that is more powerful than the Wraith CPU Coolers. Like Liquid AIO 240 MM or larger Coolers or high TDP Air coolers.

0 Likes

yes you're right @elstaci  i was presuming we were speaking about at least wraith prism that is sold with 3900x, beyond that , is not recommanded at all

@xlox 

I mentioned that because some Users might want to install a cheaper Wraith then the Prism or a smaller Wraith to fit in their computer case.

In my opinion, it seems like the 3000 and 5000 series processors run a lot hotter than the 1000 or 2000 series processors.

Reason why I mention the above is because I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 3700X which is a 65 watt TDP processor. Yet I installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO which kept my previous FX8350 (125 Watt TDP) within it Maximum Operating Temperature under stress with one fan.

But with the Ryzen I needed to install a High Volume second CPU Fan to keep the processor below 70C under stress. Plus my temperatures constantly fluctuates between 45C and 60C depending on my room temperature during regular computer use.

Currently since I've owned the 3900X I have used the Wraith Prism that it came with. Year round I'm able to keep the ambient temps around 68f or even cooler during the winter. The 3900X manages to get boost clocks up to 4.5ghz, once in a while it will boost to 4.6ghz. The temps depending on the game go no higher then about 55c at most, once in a while it might see 60c but that is usually when running a benchmark.  I think when I get the 5900X I may give the Wraith Prism a try, the one strong factor going for me is the low ambient temps. I see people complain that their 3900X is running hot, and you ask them what the ambient temps are and they say 85f, well we found your problem.

regarding my usage with wraith prism , i think it's a pretty decent cooler in fact ... regarding it's "given" with cpu etc ...under heavy load it didn't get above 85°c by me , for a 12 core/24thread with oc.. pretty nice , in summertime i would not be surprised to see it reach 90°c , but again, under 100% load , in game i don't see it go above 80° ... with a 2 fan AIO you gain 5/10° average I think

The 3900X has the same TPD wattage of 105 as the 5900X so with your room temperature at 68f, The Wraith Prism should do the same efficient cooling on the 5900X as it did on the 3900X.

When my room temperature is 78f and I stress test my Ryzen, the temperature doesn't go over 60c but when the room temperature is around 82-83f and I stress test my Ryzen the temperature goes up to but not past 70C.

So room temperature is an important factor in keeping your computer hardware from overheating or running hot.