cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Perfect_day
Adept I

AMD 5900x & ASUS Board Temp Problem 80°C Over Temp

hi, can someone help me. I have a 5900x with a Hydro-Series ™ H150i PRO RGB 360 mm cooling. The problem is when I reach over 80 ° C in the benchmark (Cinebench, Prime 95 etc.), my system reboots and the CPU over temperature is 80 ° C is still safe and my vcore 1.26 is fixed - with Cinebench R15 max 77 ° C is still not a problem, but with R20 with AVX the temperature is too high (approx. 82 ° C)
Mainboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Vcore 1.256
CPU 4.65 GHz almost 80 ° C OK
CPU 4.7 GHz just over 80 ° C restart over temp according to the mainboard

With my same amd 3900x I had 1.36 vcore and max at the benchmark 86 ° C with the same cooling
The question is, why does the system switch itself off when the temperature is above 80 ° C, or do you have to change it in the Bioswar?
I'm a little at a loss

13 Replies

Are you using Ryzen Master to get your CPU Temperatures or some other Monitoring software?

The Maximum Operating Temperature of the 5900X is 90C. So the computer shouldn't reboot when the CPU temps goes above 80C. In fact it shouldn't reboot if it goes to 95C in my opinion. If it goes higher than it most likely will ;shut off to prevent overheating damage to the CPU.

When the CPU Temps reaches 90C the CPU automatically starts to throttle (slow down) to keep the temps at or below 90C.

So either you have a defective CPU sensor or you have some other hardware that is overheating or is defective when it gets hot.

Could also be a bad thermal sensor on the Motherboard so I would open a Asus Support ticket and see if they believe the motherboard is defective or not.

I would suggest you open a AMD Service Request -Warranty (Official AMD SUPPORT) and asked them if they believe the CPU needs to be looked at (RMA) or not: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

no, I read the temperature with CoreTemp and later with HWINFO.
To be sure if CORETEMP is faulty.
I have operated the 3900X, 3900xt and 3950x with the same mainboard and cooling, without any problems

0 Likes

I have an Asus an dit does the same thing with my 5600x if i try to run an all core OC. I used to run 1.275v and 4675 (4700 got unstable in Aida) on an AsRock board. I switched to the Asus because the BIOS had the proper SMU of 56.46 vs. 56.43. This allowed me to go to 3933 RAM and 1966 FCLK 1:1. However, no matter what I try, I can't get a table manual OC and had to settle for PBO +100, which is only ~100 points lower score in some benchmarks. Yep, right around the 80-83c mark it reboots or stops responding in CB23 with a fixed vCore of anything. I did find that increasing the LLC to 4 and using about 1.3 vCore i was able to hold CB23 at the 4675 mark on all cores longer than an instant crash but temps don't seem to be it. 

In theory, for the brief time your stressing in CB23 or CB20, the CPU hits 80-85c and levels off, hopefully the cooler has soaked enough that temps even fall to ~77 or so and no crash or throttle happens. Not on the Asus board. So, I don't have a clear answer except to go back to finding the highest PBO you can do without the crash in CB23/20 and be happy. I recommend not using Thermal Grizzly Kyonaut, as I did and my temps quickly spiked to 80 or higher all the time, caused me a lot of grief. I went back to using old ThermalTake TG-7 and my temps are fine. 77c testing, 34c idle, 60-70c gaming. Here's pics of my results, so yours will be higher with a 5900X for sure.3_18_21.pngcachemem 3_18_21.pngTS 3_17 3933_PBO_100.png

"It worked before you broke it!"

I was able to determine the fault.

I set the LLC to 2 (otherwise the same setting as described above) and then in Cinebench R15 I had 77 ° C over Temp = completely illogical.

So LLC set to 3 again, Vcore this time to 1.28 and as usual 4.50 GHZ = no over temp 80 ° C
Second attempt with 4.7 GHZ and Vcore 1.31 = Max Temp 86 ° C no over temp

Conclusion:
The BIOS gives me wrong information in this regard, if the system crashes and my question is, is it the BIOS or the mainboard?

From my point of view, it's extremely interesting.

It's probably not the vCore being over temp per se. It's the rate of thermal increase, like how quickly the temp rises may trigger some CPU safety AMD doesn't disclose. Some silicon can't take the max temp of 95c (208F), let alone 77c (170.6F) on all cores. The temp we see as vCore is not the same as the die temp, which I've found reading higher. It could be the RAM speed stressing the memory controller in the CPU too hard temp wise. AMD assumes we're running 3200Mhz RAM at stock voltages and no PBO when they say 95c max. Outside of those parameters, we're on our own, so logical or not, AMD's max temp is based off a stock config. Anything else is unknown.

Temp measurements are always "off" via BIOS, OS, sensors, etc. There's lag involved with polling of the sensors, software reading them, etc. Using a multimeter with thermal couples is the most accurate temp check one can do. I have an IR gun to use and that get's decent readings but you need the sides off the case obviously, so if you want the "real world" temps, use the meter. Temps we see in HWiNFO for example, are close to as the actual we get with software. 

So are you still getting a shutdown at those clocks/voltages in CB23? If you're stable in that your working temps in everyday use, gaming, are staying below 80c and no error 19 or 18, I think you're safe running the OC.

I thought about giving it another shot at 4675 all core at 1.275v or higher now that I have my thermal paste issue sorted, but haven't. My scores running PBO +100 are within 100 points or so across all tests with no crashes. CB23 runs at 4.5 all cores at a ridiculous 1.48v with temps hitting 86c on one pass, multi-core. The CPU seems to stabilize at about 83c, I guess after the AIO heat soaks, but I don't go past the first one. Single core is easy and it hits 4750 on each core at some point, temp is about 60c for the entire test. 

Everyday use, 3 cores run at 4750-4790, even in games, so I'm not seeing a benefit of much going for the all core OC. Now I did manage to get my RAM to run at 3933/1966 with tight CL 16 timings, so that made a huge speed difference. I'm hoping that this new April BIOS will finally allow for 2000 FCLK. I can run that but I get error 19's under stress, no crashes and it passes all RAM tests, but an error is an error. Microsoft claims one can safely ignore error 19 if you're not having BSOD's or error 18. But, I've heard a few say they lost their OS running like that , hence I dropped back to 3933/1966 for now.

Sorry some might be off topic there. If the system is crashing using the all core OC, there are many things that can cause it besides temps. It could be like above, silicon can't handle the temp of all cores at a certain speed, since voltage needs to increase for stability. Like running 4.7 at 1.31v will fail for me, with a similar temp but not right away, so it leads me to believe it's the fabric errors out and the PC reboots with no error other than improper shutdown. No thermal error or other useful diagnostic code. 4.7 at 1.325v, 1.41v, does the same and not much hotter. 4675 at 1.28v was a crash before the test ends, with temps under 80c. If I simply ran the OC, the PC ran fine at 4675/1.28v, RAM 3733/1866. Never explored with the RAM this high.

So it's not the BIOS or the mainboard, since both reside on the same thing. It could be the "board" reading wrong in general, the OC is just too high, the BIOS has a glitch, or these Asus boards are just fussy. Might be the BIOS since my CPU runs as hot if not hotter on CB23 using PBO +100 and it completes the test. Needs more research.

0 Likes

Seem to be having a very similar ASUS related issue on a 5950x also. I have voiced my concerns in another thread. With custom cooling I don't even get the rated boost speeds. Hopefully ASUS sees this thread and the other regarding the 5950x to resolve this.

My clear proof keeps being deleted though

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-9-5950x-running-very-hot-74c/td-p/423362/page/49

0 Likes

I also wrote it to the support
so far I have not received an answer

0 Likes

with a 600 euro board I would expect more

0 Likes

Possibly a new Agesa coming out soon will fix PBO, I doubt it. Your issue is across all boards since my AsRock sorta does the same thing when I had the 5600X in it vs. the 3600X. I can tell you that you'll never hit 4.9 on all cores using CB23,CB15,CB20 using the multi core test. It just won't. you'll wind up at some low-mid point like my 5600X peaks at 4500, trickles down to 4400 on CB23. Temps, well it hits 86c drops to 83c mid test using a Corsair H110i GTX (H115i). 

You should be able to hit the rated boost on 2-3 cores while gaming or other multi-threaded apps that don't call all cores alike CB does. I'm running my 5600X at motherboard, LLC 3, PBO +100 and 3 cores will hit 4750 at the same time consistently while gaming or even typing this. Temps in game seem to stay about 65-70c. Idle or low tasks like this, might go to 40c. 

Voltage seems to like to stick around 1.31 and spikes to 1.48 on the vCore. Much different then the 3600X which was milder in the fluctuation using PBO. All core OC on this ASUS board I haven't retried at 4675/1.28v, since the last BIOS update. I'm waiting for the one after 1.1.0.1a that's supposed to be coming out soon.

ASUS will never read these threads. Go onto their new Discord and you'll have slightly better luck but don't count on anyone from ASUS to be on. It's "unofficial", yet has mods that are ASUS affiliated? Very confusing but at least your voice can be heard and there's a slight chance someone will get something to ASUS. However, this is truly more than just them.

" I can tell you that you'll never hit 4.9 on all cores using CB23,CB15,CB20 using the multi core test."

I don't think anyone is expecting this. What I can tell you though with my 5950x I'm not hitting rated speeds (4.9GHz) with single core either.

What is quite clear though is there is an issue, You go to the "Processors" section of this forum and you see countless threads each with the same or similar issue with higher end Zen3 CPUs. By the sounds of it your 5600x is running fine and I'd be happy with those results.

Then there are people like myself who have full custom loops and have never seen their rated boost speed and their temps are 25-30c higher than the numbers seen in reviews. something is not right here.

I can confirm it's not the board, it's Agesa. I reassembled my AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4S with my 3600X and it has the Agesa 1.2.0.0 BIOS. It tosses way too much juice during boost, PBO off and it affects the peak boost. I get nearly the same boost but still temps hitting 77c simply running CPU-Z bench with PBO off. PBO on and it has the same high temps and running +200 it only goes a little higher than stock. That CPU used to boost to 4.6 and hit 4.4 on 3 cores most of the time. Now with this BIOS it is down to about 4.3 even with +200. Vcore voltage spikes to 1.499 a lot. Before with 1.1.0.0 it would hit 1.456 and boost to 4.6 easily and temps were 60c under all core loads like CPU-Z, CB23. I'm using a Corsair H100 v2 AIO on that, so it's got plenty of cooling. 

Setting voltage in BIOS to "motherboard" or "auto" has no effect on the voltage period. Turning PBO off helps temps and boost suffers very little with this Agesa version. I updated that board because I had put my 5600X in it, but then put that CPU into an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS board hoping to get to 2000 FCLK because ASUS is using a newer SMU. It did allow for me to go to 3933/1966 but not to 4000/2000 without error 19's (no crash, noticed it in Event Viewer only). 

My 5600X does run on the hot side under load, even with the new Corsair 750D Airflow case and H110i GTX cooler (same as H115i). I used to be able to all core OC to 4675/1.275v but can't do that with this BIOS version because it BSOD's or freezes on CB23 no matter what voltage I set. Could be the RAM/FCLK OC stressing the memory controller at that clock but yet with PBO/+100 it hits 4750 on 3 cores all the time, passes CB23 and other tests. Temps get a bit crazy, spiking to 86c and settling to 83c during CB23 multi core. Single core is fine at 58-60c.

So there it is, 2 boards, different brands, same chipset, 2 Zen versions and the same heat/voltage issue with no cure. Both happening post BIOS update. I'm hoping the new Agesa that's coming soon will fix the wild voltage and boost algorithm affecting both Zen 2 and 3. 

0 Likes

when i changed my memory from 3600 to 3200 mhz
and set the vcore as described above, then I have the same error message
or load line calibration from 3 to 2, the mainboard believes at 76 ° C CPU over the temp.
it is a fact that the change will cause the CPU to run out of power and the system crashes.
LLC on 3 higher Vcore 1,272 all core 4.7 ghz Ram 3600 mhz
and my system runs stably even the stress test max tem 86 ° C

0 Likes

it's about the mainboard giving wrong information.
if the Vcore is too low and the system supports it, the mainboard reports CPU temp too high.

0 Likes