Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

newcapricasean
Journeyman III

AMD 3990x CPU longevity question...

Hello,

I can't believe I'm just now creating an amd website account, considering I've been using AMD processors, back since the K6-2 days. I mean, not every computer I've had, has had an AMD cpu, but all of the computers I've built myself, or had custom built, have. But, anyways, on to my question... I really would love to hear a response from an administrator/technician, who could give me a definitive answer... First, I'll list my system config...

>>>

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG

MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha
RAM: F4-3200C16Q2-256GTZN
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990x
CPU COOLING: NZXT RL-KRX72-01
SSD: MZ-V7S2T0B/AM
HHD: WD60EZAZ
OPTICAL: 14X LG WH14NS40 Blu-ray Disc Burner 3D
Playback
GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GDDR6 PCI-E DP/HDMI
(Major Brand)
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair AX1600i
<<<

Now, keep in mind that, I'm primarily concerned with stability, reliability, nominal temps, power efficiency, and longevity... mostly the stability, reliability, and longevity...

In the BIOS, I have manually disabled PBO, and turbo. That, effectively, locks the processor at its base clock, which is intentional. From my thinking, the processor's greatest asset is it's number of cores, and SMT... not PBO or turbo... Both of these latter ones suffer from the law of diminishing returns...

I have the liquid cooling system set to keep the liquid below 50 degrees celcius, at all costs, since I'd read that above that temperature increases the chances of a leak.

I have added 3 additional hard drives, to it, as I'm an avid avisynth x265 encoder, of my movies and tv show collections. I enjoy tinkering with various scripts and filters, out there. I primarily designed this custom PC for encoding. Why so much RAM? Because, I decided to use a ramdrive, to do all of my encoding, and/or compiling, on... This saves wear and tear on drives.

The RAM is actually running at 3200, but at JEDEC standard timings, and not the tight timings it was designed for. Furthermore, I have set the RAM voltage to the JEDEC standard voltage for 3200. It passed days of memtest86 without any errors.

This has been BY FAR the most stable computer I've ever had!!! Numerous times, I've had it running for MONTHS, without a power down, nor reboot, with no crashes, whatsoever!!! The desktop has been on, almost 24/7, since I received it, some 3 years ago. A great deal of that time, it's been encoding.

Even under full load, for hours, days, weeks, or months... the highest temperature I'll see, from hwinfo64, for the cpu, is below 70 degrees celsius.

In my younger years, I was more about overclocking, and pushing the system as far as I could, but in my "older" aged years, I'm all about longevity and stability.

According to HWINFO64, the cpu's voltage is between 0.984 volts, and 0.912 volts...

Now, to my question... I am definitely keeping the CPU temps well below dangerous levels, with the liquid cooling system. I'm not over-volting. I have PBO and turbo disabled, effectively limiting it to stock base speed. Looking at HWINFO64, I see this CPU EDC Limit thing... It can easily stay in the 90%, and above, though never getting up to 100%, while I'm encoding a bunch of stuff, simultaneously. It says "current deliverable by voltage regulator in a peak/spike condition". SO..... Is it risky/dangerous/bad to have it running, indefinitely, in the 90%+ range? I've previously always run under the rule of thumb that voltage and heat were the primary factors in the longevity of a cpu, but this EDC thing has me a bit concerned, considering it says "peak/spike" condition. To me, that suggests that, it should only be occasional that it gets close to 100%... not sustained... So, I really want to know, preferably from an administrator/technician/amd representative a definitive answer to this... I don't want to fry my precious cpu out... This is BY FAR my favorite computer that I've ever had! Love my 3990x!!! Thank you, in advance, for your response...

Sincerely,

newcapricasean

0 Likes
0 Replies