Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

luk1
Journeyman III

AMD 3900x system crashing after restart or change of CPU configuration

Hello,

my Ryzen system has multiple crashes in a row (up to 7, some event logs here, imgur) after a restart prompted by installation of software (I always restart after installing a single program) or after making changes in Ryzen Master (SMT on/off, disabling CCD...). Crashes are sometimes accompanied by glitches (program shutting down right after starting it). And no overclocking whatsoever. It goes back to normal after I let it 'cool down', usually overnight.

The multiple crash sequence does not happen after installing every program and restaring, but a lot of them still. For example, it happened after a GPU driver update, the next morning and beyond it handled all I threw at it (games, rendering, stress tests...)

Coming from an Intel CPU (I upgraded from 6700k), I was able to fool around there with disabling cores and HT without the system even flinching in over 3 years. Not a single crash unless caused by a virus (one time after dowloading and opening an infected -.exe).

Here are the full system specs:

Asus Prime X570 Pro | AMD R9 3900X | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb 3000MHz CL15 | Asus Strix GTX 1080 A8G | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM750x | Noctua NH-D15

All the remaining components (in bold) have been working flawlessly on the previous system (with Asus z170-a and 6700k) for the past 3 years.

Also the RAM SKU is listed on the mobo QVL.

I did a clean install of Windows after upgrading, downloaded the AMD drivers immediately and also updated the BIOS to the latest version.

Otherwise, the experience is outstanding. 3ds max renders completed in 1/3 of the time, stable framrates during gaming... this thing FLIES.

Just asking if anyone else has similar experience and what to do about it (wait for a BIOS update (agesa 1004), driver update, RMA...)

thank you in advance

0 Likes
0 Replies