cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dw97
Newcomer

amd 2700x over heating & spiking

I have an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU. When idle the CPU is running at 50c+ which in my opinion is way too hot to be idle. When playing any games the CPU spikes and causes freezing. I checked temperatures and noticed the CPU reading (from AMD Ryzen Master) say 71c+ sometimes up to 75 degrees celsius!

I've tried re-applying thermal paste. Adding better exhaust fans at the top of my case. I just bought my case and put everything together so there is no dust. I really need help understanding why I am getting these temperatures. I can't play anything or do any strenuous task.

BUILD

CPU ^

MSI B450 Tomahawk

G.Skill 32GB 3200mhz

MSI Radeon RX 5700xt

EVGA supernova 750 G+

CASE: Phanteks P400a stock fans w/ 3 exhaust (top/rear) 2/ 140mm fans at the top.

I have a video of me playing BF4 and having my PC beep and stutter. So I painted the CPU and GPU graph on-screen and notice the CPU spiking way off the screen. The temperatures were also alarming. Task manager said that only 35% of my CPU was being used. I am really confused about this.

UPDATE: The volts are really hight 1.45 and while gaming some cores rise and drop rapidly.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Your idle and gaming temperatures are absolutely fine for this chip.  

These Ryzens do idle and spike up to 55C regularly.  

During gaming 75C is normal too.  

It doesn't start thermal throttling until 85C.  

You can set a more aggressive CPU fan curve in your BIOS to cool it a bit if you want.  

Not sure why you're getting freezes in Battlefield 4 though as it is an old game now.  

Your 35% CPU usage is normal as well due to it not being intensive.  

I used to get stutters and CPU spikes in Battlefield V as it is poorly optimised until I installed the excellent Intelligent Standby List Cleaner program which stopped them.  

Battlefield 4 was always smooth though.  

This was with my previous Ryzen 2700X and my current 3700X.  

What are your GPU temperatures like during gaming?

Also is your RAM a single stick?

Andy

0 Likes

Thanks for the response umm i normally see about 65-68 as max temp for GPU

0 Likes

Ok well no temperature problem there either.  

Is your RAM a single stick?

0 Likes

I have dual RAM kit (16 gb each)

0 Likes

Ok well performance wise tour hardware seems to be running fine.  

As you are getting huge CPU spikes try running Intelligent Standby List Cleaner.

open the program then just click on its Start button.  

What are other games running like on your system?

Also leave Task Manager open to see if anything is hogging your CPU.  

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion if I have this problem again I will try that. As I said I am a noob at this so my case has a top magnetic filter. I have to top exhaust fans. The filter was ruining airflow and trapping heat around the CPU. Removed the filter BF4 works and MW works no problem. Thanks again.

0 Likes