Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Zycc
Adept I

AM5 iGPU Support with CSM Enabled

[TLDR Version]
I ran into a random issue on a new AM5 build that I have so far been unable to fix. I noticed that my iGPU was not showing up in Task Manager and the Device Manager showed AMD Radeon (TM) Graphics with an error code of 43.

After extensive testing, I found that enabling CSM support in the BIOS was enough to break iGPU support regardless of Windows installation or how drivers were installed (DDU/AMD Fresh Install).

I want to find someone else with an AM5 system (iGPU + dGPU) that can enable CSM in their BIOS and see if they are able to get video out from the onboard graphics of their CPU.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Non-TLDR]

I did a recent AM5 build to upgrade my Ryzen 3000 series processor to a 7600x. While I was still using my old PC, I attached my GPU and a UEFI Windows 11 installation to a new motherboard and was able to fully install and test everything. After verifying that everything worked, I proceeded to transfer all of my main storage drives to my new PC. Everything was replaced during this build with the exception of hard drives and SSDs.

My main hard drive for this PC has a Windows 10 installation with an MBR, so CSM support is required. After finishing the build and using the system for a week, I found that my onboard graphics would not show in Task Manager, and they also did not show in Device Manager. The red VGA light would also never shut off after POST. I DDUed the drivers that I had installed for my RX 6600 XT and ran the Adrenalin 22.11.2 installer from AMD's website. These drivers were originally installed using my motherboard's software.

After I did that, I rebooted the system to find the iGPU listed under Displayer adapters, but it had an error icon. I checked the error and it lists "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)." I read online that this can be fixed by using the fresh installation option in the Adrenalin installer, so I did that with the reboot option. This removed the icon, but the iGPU could not be used and the error would come back on a restart.

I thought this was strange because I had already tested the iGPU before I built this system, but I found this same error when I booted up my UEFI Windows 11 drive (with CSM enabled). This made me go down the rabbit hole of trying just about anything that I could find online for this unique set of issues.

Here is a list of some of the things that I tried:

• Set RAM back to auto
  • Disable Above 4G
  • Decoding Disable Re-Bar
  • Change dGPU from 6600 XT to 1660
  • Change PSU cables (8 Pin only for CPU vs. 8 Pin + 4 Pin)
  • Reseat dGPU
  • Upgrade BIOS
  • Change iGPU options in the BIOS from auto to forced + manual configuration
  • Boot with only an iGPU
  • Use an HDMI cable with iGPU
  • Use a DP cable with iGPU

Then I decided to disable CSM and boot my UEFI Windows 11 installation to mirror the BIOS options that were enabled by default during my initial testing. The red VGA light turned off and I was able to get video out from my onboard graphics. I reverted all of the BIOS settings to stock, booted the UEFI Windows 11 installation, and verified everything was working. I then changed ONLY the CSM option and booted up the drive again to find the VGA light on and the onboard graphics not working with the error code 43.

That leads me to believe the iGPU in the 7000 series has an issue with CSM, or my motherboard has an issue with this combination.

Here are my system specs:
CPU Ryzen 7600x
GPU RX 6600 XT
MB B650 AORUS ELITE AX (F3b BIOS)
RAM G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB (16x2)
PSU Corsair RM1000
OS Windows 10 MBR / Windows 11 GPT

Windows 10 shows several errors for AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics (errors that would usually be fixed with DDU/Fresh Adrenalin Install)

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_164E&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_C3\4&16012499&0&0041 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem107.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amdwddmg
Lower Filters: 
Upper Filters: 
Problem: 0x15
Problem Status: 0x0

0 Likes
28 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Thanks, Zycc. This is a good explanation of at least some of the side effects of CSM. AMD documentation does not always tell all, so maybe somewhere they say Disable CSM. Please open an AMD Support request and ask them, also tell them you think there is a problem with the 7600X (I doubt it). I have warned several users to fix the cause of the requirement for CSM (like MBR). I suggest the same to you. I also advise all to get their AMD drivers here ONLY. I would never use "... using my motherboard's software...". MB vendors tend to install self starting "performance enhancement" applications which often cause havoc. The only files I DL for the MB vendor is BIOS and manuals. But I also never use DDU because I never see a need for it.

Thanks again for the detailed trouble description of CSM use. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

@misterj wrote:

Thanks, Zycc. This is a good explanation of at least some of the side effects of CSM. AMD documentation does not always tell all, so maybe somewhere they say Disable CSM. Please open an AMD Support request and ask them, also tell them you think there is a problem with the 7600X (I doubt it). I have warned several users to fix the cause of the requirement for CSM (like MBR). I suggest the same to you. I also advise all to get their AMD drivers here ONLY. I would never use "... using my motherboard's software...". MB vendors tend to install self starting "performance enhancement" applications which often cause havoc. The only files I DL for the MB vendor is BIOS and manuals. But I also never use DDU because I never see a need for it.

Thanks again for the detailed trouble description of CSM use. Enjoy, John.

So what you are saying is install the drivers individually then and not use the vendor's self updata software or the disc that comes with the motherboard. I am correct. I  am using (as you know) Asrock  B550 Steel Legend, I have only download  what I think the drivers I need for win11, and I have the AMD chipset driver downloaded to the very latest one from AMD'S website. When I Looked at the Disc it said 2020!! So all the drivers on that disc will be outdated, in any case I don't  have a disc drive on my case anyway.   

0 Likes

Thanks, Jonoace, I have been advising user to get only the BIOS from the MB vendor. Enjoy, John.

Here is the latest 7600X AMD Integrated Graphics driver for your APU processor: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-5-desktop-processors/amd-ryzen-5-7...

The above AMD VGA Driver is compatible with both your Integrated and Discrete GPU cards.

Seems like your AMD is corrupted or you didn't download a VGA driver that is compatible with your 7600x.

Run DDU with the internet disconnected and deleting the AMD Driver Installation folder at C:\AMD.

Now install the 7600x AMD VGA driver.

NOTE: Downloaded your Motherboard BIOS Guide. Found these Graphic settings in BIOS:
Screenshot 2023-01-12 160502.png

You should be able to set your BIOS to CSM Mode and your 7600X Integrated Graphics should work unless it isn't compatible with CSM Mode.

In Device Manager under "Display",in both CSM Mode and UEFI Mode, did it show the same error for your Integrated Graphics?

IF it did that seems to indicate it is a AMD driver issue not connected to CSM or UEFI mode in BIOS.

After you install the 7600X AMD VGA Driver go back and check Device Manager for any type of errors again.

Thanks for the reply. Before I came to the CSM realization, I thought my motherboard (Gigabyte Control

I had the system boot completely to Windows with a black screen (I could hear the Windows boot sound). Even the generic Microsoft Display Adapter driver doesn't allow the iGPU to output a video signal. What's more, if I set the Initial Display Output to IDG Video (with or without a dGPU in PCIe 1, I can't get video in BIOS, which should eliminate any driver issues. 

The problem with enabling that option is that I had to reset the CMOS whenever I used it because I couldn't see the BIOS :[

As for your last question, there are no error messages for the iGPU when BIOS is set to UEFI mode. 

0 Likes

So you are saying with the Discrete GPU card install you do have video output in both CSM and UEFI Mode but with the Integrated Graphics only in UEFI Mode?  is this accurate?

So if BIOS is set to CSM Mode and you switched your Monitor cable from the GPU card to the Motherboard's Video Output port you have no video output?

BIOS automatically makes your DGPU the Main Display Adapter if the BIOS Setting for the GPU is set to Auto like in my previous reply. But your Integrated Graphic should still work but as a secondary Display not as your Main Display.

In CSM Mode with the Discrete GPU installed and having Video Output what does Windows Settings - Display show?

In my opinion, The Integrated Graphics should work whether in CSM or UEFI mode. But then again I am not that familiar with the 7000 series processors. But if MSI has a BIOS setting for CSM Mode that should indicate that it is compatible with the 7600x integrated graphics.

0 Likes

You are correct. I have two monitors, so I test this by just running a cable from each to the iGPU and dGPU at the same time. This made testing for this issue less annoying.

"In CSM Mode with the Discrete GPU installed and having Video Output what does Windows Settings - Display show?"

Display settings shows only one screen, or two if I attach my second monitor to the graphics card. 

It's a very strange issue which is why I hope it can be fixed, or confirmed as a known issue.

0 Likes

I believe you should open two tickets one with AMD Support (https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form) and one with Gigabyte Support.

It sounds more like a Gigabyte Motherboard BIOS issue than anything else. It doesn't make sense that a APU Integrated Graphics will only be compatible in UEFI mode.

Really the best way to eliminate the Motherboard is by installing the 7600x in another compatible Motherboard with CSM Mode enabled and see if they get video output or not.

Preferably not another GIgabyte Motherboard.

0 Likes

I have sent a request to both, but still holding out hope that someone on here with an AM5 system can confirm or deny that they have any issues. Getting another motherboard for this would be a big pain.

Thanks for the update.

I agree.

let me know what both Support ticket says about your situation.

0 Likes
jnjn
Journeyman III

Hey Zycc, Are you running with SVM enabled? iGPU won't work with SVM on my Gigabyte B650.

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

When I tried setting igfx from Auto to Primary (did not have dgpu installed anymore), at first computer didn't boot and at second attempt (after clearing cmos) it claimed I had changed CPU and/or there is corrupted fTPM data to which I replied Y for yes and got machine to work again. Asus B650E-E and 7950X. Have not flashed BIOS, so it is 0420 maybe. Else is fine, but video playback crashes any software unless HWA disabled. Latest driver from amd.com 

0 Likes

This is with CSM enabled? 0-o

0 Likes

Nope.

0 Likes

Enable CSM and see if you still have video out.

0 Likes
Y060N
Journeyman III

I built a new system yesterday on AM5 and I am also having this issue. Same thing in device manager, Windows says that it cannot start the driver:

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_164E&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_C3\4&16012499&0&0041 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem15.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amdwddmg
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x1F
Problem Status: 0xC01E0438

Motherboard is GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX and CPU is 7700X

0 Likes

Y060N, where did you get the driver? Get all AMD drivers here. Please post all your system components. Thanks and enjoy, John.

I got most of them through Gigabyte, then updated them where needed. Do I just need Adrenalin? That's the only one I see under 7700x. I tried to download the checker tool and it said "File not found".

Full system specs:
MB: GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX AM5 LGA 1718
CPU: AMD RYZEN 7700X
RAM: G.SKILL FLARE X5 SERIES DDR5 6000 CL36
SSD: WD BLACK 2TB SN850X
GPU: ASROCK OC FORMULA RADEON RX 6950XT
PSU: CORSAIR RM1000X

0 Likes

I downloaded the Adrenalin from the link you sent and it downgraded the AMD Radeon Graphics driver. Loads fine now. Thanks

0 Likes

Thanks, Y060N. I always discourage getting anything but BIOS from the MB vendor. Some of their stuff comes with applications embedded that then run at startup and cause trouble. I do not know what the "checker tool" is. If it comes from MB vendor, then you do not want it. I see no such thing on the AMD site. Just click on your AMD product under Graphics and Chipsets and find your specific HW and Windows version. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Since we have the same MB, can you enable CSM in the BIOS and tell me if your iGPU can output video to your monitor?

0 Likes
Dryon
Journeyman III

Hi ! Just got a gigabyte 650 gaming x ax paired with 7700x and a rtx 2080 super, and I might have the same problem. I can't test with csm disabled otherwise I can't boot, but with csm enabled I haven't found a single way to make the iGPU work in windows. I tried all sorts of manipulations: re-install integrated graphics and chipset drivers (through amd website) with and without DDU and safe mode, disabling windows auto drivers, trying both "auto" and "forced" integrated graphics setting in (updated) BIOS,  even un-plugging my dGPU. But nothings works, iGPU stays totally inactive. I even got locked out of display once and had to remove the battery of the motherboard to reset BIOS.

It's no urgency for me because iGPU is only temporary mean while I get a second proper cable for my dGPU, but troubleshooting this has revealed to be quite unsuccessful.

Is there anything new on your side ?

0 Likes

No, it doesn't seem like it is supported. Thank you for trying though, you are the first person that ever attempted to verify what I wanted to know. At least I know it is not a software issue.

0 Likes

That fixed everything on my side, but since upgrading drivers it seems my GPU runs about 10C hotter and uses 10W more idling. Is that normal?

0 Likes

I have come to the same conclusion as you CSM disables the iGPU, not just at boot time and post but in windows as well.

I found that with CSM enabled I was getting constant Code 43 errors on the device under device manager in windows, I even went into save mode and tried deleting the drivers with DDU there to get windows to redetect on boot up but instead of getting the AMD device driver installed Windows defaulted to the Microsoft Default VGA adapter and even that had a code 39.

I have had a good complain about this on r/gigabytegaming weekly support threat and via support ticket to Gigabyte, I suggest you do so as well - my board for reference is the Aorus X670E Xtreme and while I have not checked any BIOS's earlier than F9 all BIOS's from F9 upwards I can confirm have the problem.

0 Likes

Yup me again, I have just been looking around and found this seems to be the intended behavior on the part of AMD and Intel, they have supplied UEFI drivers only for the iGPUs and no compatibility drivers for non UEFI stuff.

Bit of a pig really.

0 Likes
CriticalError
Journeyman III

Just had the exact same issue on my system When CSM support is enabled it causes issues with the onboard AMD graphics. As soon as rebooted and disabled CSM support issue fixed.

Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX, RYZEN-7800X3D, 32GB DDR5 5600 Mhz, Gigabyte Aorus RTX 4070 Ti, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Seagate IronWolf 500GB, Razer Black Widow V3, Razer DeathAdder.

0 Likes

Exactly the same problem as.

Asus tuf gaming b650m, ryzen 7600. 

0 Likes