cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

codehex
Journeyman III

AM3+ cpu cooler on new Ryzen AM4 boards

Hello everyone, i have a little trouble.

I already have an old PC running an AMD FX 6300, OC @ 4.2, with a good aftermarket cooler, and now I have ordered spare parts to assembly a brand new PC with Ryzen 5 1600x. In this order I have placed an AIO (Arctic Liquid 240) and yes, this is not compatible with AM4 sockets, but will do when Arctic will send me a new detection ring Kit for AM4 sockets. Now I have incoming all stuff ordered, and I cannot build my pc why this detention ring it seems to be shipped around May 31...  Anyway I have already the original AMD old cooler from the FX 6300 AM3+ and I ask myself, can I mount this one on the new AM4 Ryzen temporarily? So ask you, I can? (without OC, of course).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
globus5000
Adept II

Re: AM3+ cpu cooler on new Ryzen AM4 boards

you can on som motherbord the only on out ther i now of is the ASUS Crosshair hero 6

0 Kudos
conraire
Adept III

Is it one of the wraith coolers?  Or is it the older model which is slightly smaller, but still has the copper plate and heatpipes?  If it's not at least that version I wouldn't try and use it.  If it is that version, yes it will mount using the standard clips.  But don't expect to do any heavy gaming, stress testing, etc.  And are you sure your Ryzen CPU doesn't come with a cooler of its own in the box?

0 Kudos
codehex
Journeyman III

The  cooler of mine  is not a Wraith version. Wraith versions was bundled with FX 6350, I have FX 6300 and this CPU come in bundle with a square form factor cooler. Anyway, this cooler is bundled with a CPU (FX 6300) that have a tdp of 95 watts, the same tdp of new Ryzen 5 1600x that I have ordered (1600x doesnt have a bundled cooler, the 1500x have that) so wraith or not, they have the same system of clip and should be fine. Is only a temporary solution to awaiting for the arctic liquid freezer. The cooler bundled with FX 6300 is the follow

AMD FX cooler.PNG

0 Kudos
conraire
Adept III

Re: AM3+ cpu cooler  on new Ryzen AM4 boards

Since they're the same tdp, you may be able to get away with using it.  It's gonna run hot though. 

0 Kudos