cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ocram
Adept I

AGESA 1.2.0.2 not fixing USB problems in my X570 5800X system

I have just built a new system (R7 5800X + Asus Prime X570-PRO + 32GB DDR4 3200 Crucial Ballistix + 980 Pro 1TB + old GeForce 9800 GT + Win10 x64 20H2) and since the first sessions I "discovered" those USB issues which, as I later learned, have been reported by many users.

I had frequent unexpected cursor "freezes" which forced me to disconnect/reconnect the mouse (up to 5 times in sequence) to get it working again. Moreover, I was not able to use some programs because they suddenly lost connection with the license USB key and crashed.

After investigating I found some reassuring information about AMD admitting the existence of the problem, investigating it and providing a solution. To be honest a kind of solution should already have been active on my system, because the first thing I did on the new pc, before installing anything else, was to update the BIOS to the latest version available in the Asus website, which included AGESA 1.2.0.1 whose changelog said "Fix USB connectivity issue".

I then found out the AMD official statement ("we believe we have isolated the root cause and developed a solution...") about a further upgrade, AGESA 1.2.0.2, which in the mean time had appeared also in Asus website as a new (beta) Bios update. So I decided to give it a try and for a few hours after that, until power off, everything seemed ok: no mouse freezes and software licenses permanently detected. The morning after, however, after an hour or so, the mouse cursor freezed again and in a few seconds the USB key protected software issued an error message and exited.

I can't say there is no difference, because the problems actually appear reduced, lightened. But they are still there. They occur less frequently, but when they occur they are the same as before. Sometimes I get cursor freezes even just after launching a web browser. If I open a Virtual Machine and try to "pass" some connected USB devices to it, I get cursor freezes most of the time. And I still have to connect other USB equipment, like scanner, printer and so on.

At this point I'm seriously starting to fear that this USB problems are very difficult or even impossible to solve (maybe hardware related?). As I plan to use this pc for many years I'm wondering, sadly, whether I had better cancel this motherboard+cpu purchase.

**UPDATE. Just now I had a... newcomer: mouse cursor absent just after system startup. It reappeared after disconnecting and reconnecting the mouse four times in a row. Then another freeze when I opened the web browser to get here (just one plug-out/in this time, though). Maybe the problem is triggered after a certain number of events of a certain type?

12 Replies