Did you mean: 

Processors

tomkasz
Adept II
Adept II

Re: A8-7680 R7 driver problem (?)

Hello,
when it comes to answers:

0. When Windows already running with installed graphics card drivers, there was never a crash. Even during the OCCT test.
1. The CPU has been accepted for warranty claim. I sent the processor to AMD, and so far I re-installed the A4-6320, which works 100% correctly. There is one difference, the controller of this A4 supports memory only up to 1600. However, the same memory used to work with the A10-7800 processor at 1866 clock and there were no problems.
2. As far as RAM compatibility is concerned, in my opinion it has no idea at all. RAM chips meet certain standards at 1866 clock, and the processor itself has a controller that supports them. These are not overclocked memories or, as in the case of new designs, OC versions. I think that memory was not tested by Asrock, because it is a Polish manufacturer, perhaps not very popular outside of Poland.
3. As far as temperatures are concerned, in the case of APUs (and I already had 3 different APUs: A10-7800, A4-6320 and A8-7680) I do not trust what I see, I measure temperature manually. Here is an example:

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Does AMD believe the APU is defective from the information you gave them?

Glad you were able to RMA it back to AMD.  Hopefully they will test it and find it defective. At least when you get a new Processor it should work normally. If it doesn't you may want to look at your RAM Memory. Maybe temporarily underclock the speed in BIOS just for troubleshooting purposes.

Yeah, sometimes OCCT is not compatible with the motherboard's temperature sensors and either misreads the temperature wrong or not at all.

Anyway, let me know if the new processor works correctly unless they send you back the original one saying it wasn't defective.

0 Kudos
tomkasz
Adept II
Adept II

AMD asked me to change the Windows registry, which was also described in this forum. We extended the time when the graphics card was to be started at the start of Windows. It didn't help, so they asked me to send them the processor.

As far as temperatures are concerned, these sensors are simply not very accurate. E.g. in older APUs they worked correctly only from some threshold value, when we have e.g. 4 Celsius degrees in idle.

I'll let you know how the final of this case will be.

elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks.

Something just came to me while posting right now.

I remembered trying to help this owner (?) of a small Russian computer company that assembles and sells PCs.  He opened a thread concerning the FM2 processors. I was asking if anyone was having problem with those particular FM2 socket processor because his company has been receiving many defective FM2 Processors from their customers. I noticed now that you also have a FM2 Motherboard where possibly the processor is defective.

Anyway if you are interested here is the AMD Thread opened by that Russian company here at AMD Forums: Problem with FM2 processor (A4-A10 & Athlon X4) 

luybomyr
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Sadly, I have to confirm AMD A8-7680 GPU problems, which renders R7 video unusable at all.

My exact test platform is AD7680ACABBOX with ASRock FM2A68M-HD+ latest BIOS with 450w PSU and one MLC SSD all brand new. CPU serial number confirmed on AMD site.

I have desperately tested it with various memory modules on clean install of windows 10x64 builds from 1607 till 1809 with latest updates, home/enterprise and even Win10 Pro for Workstations during two months/

Drivers tested were from Crimson 2016 year till Adrenaline 2019 18.9.3 (latest stable) and 18.12.3 BETA.

There is obvious problem with amd drivers (most referring bug is "thread in driver stuck in atikmdag.sys"). In all cases system gets BSOD, the whole whole difference in stability depends on windows build - modern windows builds have better protection from memory corruption caused by bad kernel driver code and user even can get into the desktop for the minute or two, old windows 16xx builds crash during boot driver initialization. It is definitely hardware problem, maybe with powering internal GPU core.

Also I have heavily tested abovementioned configurations with different memory, voltage, frequencies, memory allocations for gpu -  with no luck. If only you disable graphic core of AMD A8-7680 - system works perfectly in any conditions with any load.

I have ended up disabling R7 video and using now old radeon 46xx PCI-E videocard which is very disappointing at all.

I have different crash dumps from different OSes and driver combinations and ready to fully collaborate with amd, because I have no other FM2+ processor to replace current CPU during RMA.

Also I have to confirm problems with stability with FM2+ socket at all, I receive complaints for BSODs (different weird error codes) for AMD A6-7400K(AD740KYBJABOX)+Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-S1+SSD+PSU500W all brand new bought since Autumn 2018 at production environment with typical heavily tested and constantly updated OS configurations with ESET commercial antivirus. There are no clear reason or timing for these BSODs, OS journals are clean, sometimes BSOD can appear few times a day, sometimes there are no problems during months. There are a lot of other workstations connected to the same power line, network, peripherals with same software configurations, users do not have administrative rights - non FM2+ socket computer work flawlessly. Replacing memory modules, PSU and other components between FM2+ and not FM2+ computers did not show any reliable difference. It is not possible to replace these components by warranty because where are no reliable way to escalate BSOD - sometimes is doesn't appear for weeks, sometime - few times a hour or day.

As for now I have to assemble 4-5 workstations for a next week and don't know what to do - looks like I have to break up with cheap AMD solutions for half of year or more and wait for some improvement on market.

BTW all components are officially bought in Ukraine, it is the same region as Poland and Russia.

0 Kudos
tomkasz
Adept II
Adept II

Hello, my complaint was accepted, I should receive a new processor from AMD soon.

0 Kudos
elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Glad to hear it. Must have been a defective APU.  I let the other thread from Russia know about this thread in case they are interested.

0 Kudos
tomkasz
Adept II
Adept II

In my case, PSU, RAM, SSD, HDD and DVD are the same and have changed:

1. Motherboard Gigabyte FA2A88XM-HD3P (chipset A88X) + A10-7800 = everything worked very well.

2. Motherboard Gigabyte FA2A88XM-HD3P + A4-6320 everything worked very well.

3. Motherboard Asrock FM2A68M-HD+ + A4-6320 everything worked very well.

4. Motherboard Asrock FM2A68M-HD+ + A8-7680 = integrated graphics card problem.

Therefore, I can't say anything wrong about 2 in 3 processors (official distribution in Poland).

There are rumors that the A8-7680 is the A10-9700 just released for FM2+ (it has a DDR3 and DDR4 controller probably). Looking at the graphics card clock on these tests:

AMD A8-7680 (FM2+) Radeon R7 Review - iGPU Gaming Performance Test Benchmark - YouTube 

AMD A8-7680 (New) vs A10-7860K. FM2+ iGPU Benchmark Test Comparison - YouTube 

A8-7680 | Any good for Gaming? | AMD A8-7680 Gaming Benchmark - YouTube 

AMD A8-7680 R7 (FM2+) - Apex Legends - Gameplay Benchmark Test - YouTube 

it is quite likely (the official specification on the AMD website still does not exist), because the graphics card is clocked ~1000 MHz and previous generations of APUs to FM2+ had graphics cards clocked ~700 MHz.

Looking at my charts from a distance, the graphics card often lowered the clock to 500 MHz, and never went up to 1000 MHz. This would confirm the problem with the card itself. Although I've written two things that interest me before: why Ubuntu (Kubuntu) didn't show any problems and why the graphics card was stable after running on Windows, I could play a demanding game like Siberia 3 and there were no problems, just like in Kubuntu.

Are you able to check the clock of your graphics card (your A8-7680) over time? Does it also not reach 1000 MHz and drops to 500?

PS If you have a second copy with a similar problem, it came to my mind if this is not Athlon X4 845 with unlocked graphics cards ... :-). Of course, both the above mentioned information about A10-9700 and this X4 845 are not confirmed by anything, because I do not have such knowledge as to whether it is possible.

0 Kudos
kurios
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

OMG I think its not like that. I'm currently using that Processor running Windows 10 Pro. I use Amd Radeon Adrenalin 19.3.1 to install driver.

A8-7680 with R7 (Cooler Master Blizzard T2 CPU Fan)

G.Skill Ripjaws X 4Gx1 PC-12800 (OC to 2133mhz)

Asus A68hm-K

WD HDD 160GB 

Im from Philippines.

0 Kudos