cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

aqua985
Journeyman III

A8-7680 normal temperatures?

my little brother was asking for a gaming pc and i had an old fm2 motherboard from my previous computer. we were thinking of getting him a ryzen cpu i suggested to settle for the old fm2 motherboard for now considering the only game he plays is roblox and minecraft. so using my fm2 board i paired it with an A8-7680 I got for $20 online with a GTX 1650 (the gpu is a bit overkill for this apu but i bought it because he's getting a ryzen cpu in the future as i mentioned before). Minecraft and roblox are running absolutely fine but my only concern is the horrible temperatures. The cpu is cooled with an aftermarket cooler, an arctic mx-4, and four 120mm case fans ALL RUNNING AT MAXIMUM SPEEDS 24/7, with the best airflow of course.

And yet, the cpu is running at 60c when surfing the internet, 70c while watching a 1080p 60fps youtube video, and 80c while gaming. This is really bothering me considering there's not much I can do anymore. I have even re-applied the paste several times until it ran out using different application methods and still it's running at those same temperatures. Is this normal for the A8-7680 apu? 

I've also noticed that it's not even hitting its advertised "3.8ghz boost", it gets stuck at 3.680ghz-3.7ghz.

A8-7680 stock, 1.512v

GTX 1650 4gb stock

MSI A68HM-E33 V2

2x4gb 1600mhz

Ice Edge Mini FS V2.O with Arctic MX-4

3 120mm Exhaust fans @ 1300rpm fixed

1 120mm Exhaust fan @ 1300rpm fixed

1TB HDD, 120GB SSD

Integrated graphics disabled in BIOS

Idle - 50C

Browsing 60C

Video Playback 1080p60fps - 70C

Gaming - 80C

3 Replies
aqua985
Journeyman III

***3 120mm Intake fans @ 1300rpm fixed****

1 120mm Exhaust fan @ 1300rpm fixed

0 Likes

You are running hot under load, maximum temperature for this processor which is 72.4c. 

Chips not hitting their full boost potential is pretty normal. Even in the best circumstances. Sometimes the chips just barely pass validation for a certain speed, other times something with the MB they are paired with will affect performance vs another choice. Even though that board is older did you verify it has the latest bios?

This chip being older may have a bit of degradation on it and one area that tends to fall off as the chips begin their decline is boost speeds. This doesn't mean for sure this is your situation but is a good chance being what I assume is a used chip. 

Don't be scared by this either, you chip isn't going to fail anytime soon at least not likely to. It may go many more years without any issues. But you do need better cooling.

Now the bad news is that the CPU is just not a good pairing for gaming with your GPU. 

Regardless with that graphics card it is so cpu bottlenecked that a smidge more performance from the CPU would not make much of a difference. 

Bottlenecked GPUs can have some bad side affects like graphical hangs and stuttering and even worse FPS than if you used a slower GPU. 

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/A8-7680/GeForce_GTX_1650/0SA13M8A/8/100/ 

Even with the fastest chip you could put on that board it is too slow.

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/A10-6800K_APU/GeForce_GTX_1650/0vd13M8A/8/100/ 

If that Ryzen CPU is on the table still then I would very much consider it. Maybe it can be a Christmas or Birthday present early. 

A less expensive B450 board with a R5 3600 or better and 16gb of 3200 ram or better is plenty to get him gaming for a long time to come. 

Good Luck!

0 Likes

The Maximum Operating Temperature for your OEM APU is 74C.

So it sounds like you didn't install that 100 Watt CPU Cooler correctly. Make sure you didn't put too much Thermal Paste nor too little. Make sure the CPU Cooler heatsink is making a good tight and even contact with the APU's surface and it isn't loose in any way. 

Does the CPU Cooler fan run at Maximum when the temperature goes above 60-65C?

Is the CPU Cooler's Fan being obstructed in any way or any cables or wires hitting it?

To rule out poor air circulation in your Computer case, remove the side panel where the CPU Cooler is and see if Temps go down or stays the same. If it goes down that would indicate poor Air Circulation in your computer case.