cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

arramzy
Journeyman III

A8-7680 Motherboard support

My mother wants to breathe some new life into her company's workstation PCs, currently running AMD A4-5300 in a FM2A58M-DG3+ motherboard.

Now the A4-5300 is quite slow and outdated, so I was looking for a new FM2+ processor to replace it with. As luck would have it I saw AMD announce the new A8-7680, but it isn't included in the motherboard's supported CPUs list. Will support for this CPU be expanded? Or will it only work for the short list of supported motherboards that you can currently find online supporting it?

Or maybe this is a question I should ask ASRock?, I don't know I'm quite inexperienced with old hardware (especially new hardware for such an old socket haha)

If anybody knows how I could find more information on the matter/where I should even ask, please let me know.

0 Likes
21 Replies

It's a question to ask ASRock as new CPU support is totally in their realm to implement, AMD can't force them.

0 Likes

AMD can't force them, but did they at least hint to the manufacturers about writing a new BIOS otherwise how are they going to sell the A8-7680 ???? No one will buy a processor that runs on only 5 motherboards, this is idiocy, it is necessary that all motherboards FM2+ has a NEW bios for A long time. Processors are lying in warehouses and stores do not take them due to the fact that there is no support for the socket FM2+. Thousands of people would be happy to upgrade from old processors to new ones, but they can't. I have a motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer and I would be glad to a new processor, but ASRock can not raise from the couch and make the BIOS to 700Mb, which would WRITE and the STUDENT in the presence of the necessary data.

Unfortunately, Motherboard Manufacturer's have an End Of Line date on all their Motherboards. This EOL means it is not supported anymore with any BIOS updates and drivers. Considered to be obsolete.

I have an Asus AM3+ Motherboard that I found out is considered to be EOL. Asus won't supply any updated BIOS for the CPU flaws discovered last year for my FX 8350 CPU. 

AMD doesn't provide BIOS to motherboards. Only the motherboard's manufacturers do. All AMD does is provide the Data needed for the companies that create BIOS to create new updated BIOS for the various Motherboard manufacturers.

The only exception to this rule, depending on the Motherboard's manufacturers, is if a new CPU comes out on an old CPU Socket like FM2. Then the manufacturer may post an updated BIOS on the old motherboard to support the new CPU.

EDIT: ASRock only has two FM2+ socket Motherboards that has new BIOS that supports the A8-7680:

For FM2 Socket there  are none. Which indicates the FM2 Motherboards are not compatible with the new APU.

Your Motherboard last BIOS version is 2.70. So until ASRock updates the BIOS for your motherboard, you are out of luck. It is possible that simply your motherboard hardware is not completely compatible with the new CPU thus no BIOS Update.

You can always open a ASRock Support ticket  to find out why there is no BIOS update for the new CPU from AMD.

0 Likes

ASRock only has two FM2+ socket Motherboards that has new BIOS that supports the A8-7680,  and I have a completely different motherboard.

0 Likes

I know, that was the point of showing you what IS SUPPORTED by ASRock.

That all of ASRock FM2 socket motherboards aren't compatible with the new CPU. Only two FM2+ Socket are and have updated BIOSes.

You're taking your frustration out on the wrong company and wrong Forum. You need to talk to ASRock about providing a new BIOS for your motherboard. Most likely they will say the new CPU is not compatible with your motherboard.

It isn't AMD's fault that their new CPU is not compatible with your motherboard, it is ASRock's fault since they were the ones that created your motherboard and provides the BIOSes needed to make newer CPUs compatible.

I understand financially, it is a hardship, to upgrade. Try buying one of the 2 FM2+ motherboards that support the new AMD CPU. That way you only need to spend money on a new motherboard and CPU. Hopefully the RAM Memory you have will be compatible with the new CPU. If not, then you are stuck with your FM2 socket motherboard until some major hardware goes bad and forces you to upgrade.

0 Likes

last BIOS version is 2.90

0 Likes

ASRock Support ticket 

unsubscribed as you

ASRock only has two FM2+ socket Motherboards that has new BIOS that supports the A8-7680

0 Likes
trongs
Adept I

so now the same situation a new CPU comes out on an old CPU Socket like FM2+ in November 2018 and until today around the world support for a new processor made on 5 or 6 motherboards, is it funny what AMD is thinking ??????????? or they think they can sell the processors to collectors and they will hang them on the wall .

0 Likes

They're thinking it's better than destroying them, but there are so very few people still using a Socket FM2+ setup who want to upgrade considering the massive performance advantages of Socket AM4 that the motherboard manufacturers do not really care to develop updated BIOSs for a dead socket for every model. Socket AM4 also requires all motherboard manufacturers to support all Socket AM4 CPUs on all Socket AM4 motherboards.

trongs
Adept I

What does AM4 have to do with it ????? here we talk about FM2+ . I'm not an American to buy a new computer every year, we buy a computer for 15-20 years, we still use the socket AM2, and you're here about AM4.

0 Likes

Most of us don't buy a new computer every year, but once a socket hits the end of its life, you must upgrade, and many people do upgrade once new tech is 100% faster than their existing tech.

0 Likes
trongs
Adept I

This is what you do, and we have to buy a new motherboard , processor and RAM DDR4 need two years to work and there is nothing and do not buy anything, just like that, but if you collect money, then just in 10-15 years you can collect to upgrade to AM4 .

0 Likes

If you buy a computer to last that long, then why don't you buy higher end parts so they last longer? Even now you're wanting A8 instead of A10 parts, parts which are faster and supported.

trongs
Adept I

The A8-7680 is stronger than the A10-7890K and has a new architecture

0 Likes

In Bizzaro World yes, but in what we call reality, the 7890K is much stronger than the 7680.

0 Likes
trongs
Adept I

and so you know we have the most common processor is Phenom II x4 955 on socket AM3, so about new products we can not talk, the AM4 platform will be available in 10 years, when completely outdated and prices will fall by 20 times

0 Likes
kurios
Journeyman III

You need a68 chipset. You have a58 so that processor will not work even you update the bios.

0 Likes
trongs
Adept I

You need a68 chipset. You have a58 so that processor will not work even you update the bios.

I have ONE OF the BEST

a88

Asrock fm2a88x killer fatal1ty

0 Likes
trongs
Adept I

when there will already be A8-7680 processor support on  Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer ??????????

where new BIOS ????????????????

0 Likes

YOU ARE ASKING AT THE WRONG PLACE!

The people who supply BIOSes to the motherboards are the Manufacturer's of the Motherboards. In this case, ASROCK.

You are wasting your time expecting AMD to provide a BIOS for your motherboard. All AMD does is provide the information for the Motherboard manufacturers to create a new BIOS, which it has done already.

If ASROCK doesn't want to create a new BIOS for your new AMD APU for your motherboard, go yell at them!.

0 Likes
trongs
Adept I

so all and kick each other, but no one moves AMD has made the BIOS to the most miserable and cheap motherboards, and on top of BIOS there for six months, and if AMD will not allow them to voice leg they won't start to do anything

0 Likes