cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Patrick7
Journeyman III

A new compatible Processor

My current processor is (AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-core) in an Alienware 51 system and Microsoft is saying that is not compatible with their new OS Windows 11.

If you can suggest a compatible processor even if its Ryzen 9.

Regards 

Patrick...

0 Likes
2 Solutions

If your Dell Alienware R51 has a OEM DELL Motherboard installed than you will need to ask Dell to see which threadripper processors are supported on that specific Motherboard.

If it uses a 3rd party Motherboard like MSI or Gigabyte or Asus then please post the Make & Model otherwise there is no way to suggest which processor to update if a propriety DELL Motherboard installed.

According to Dell your Model PC comes with either 8,12, or 16, core Threadripper TR4 socket processors and the 1950X is a 16 core Threadripper processor.

I was  unable to find out the motherboard installed in your Ryzen Dell Alienware but by the shape of the computer case it most likely is a OEM DELL Motherboard.

The only thing you can do is open a DELL Support ticket and find out which TR4 processors your Alienware 51 Threadripper supports and which BIOS version you will need to install and to be recognized and supported by your DELL OEM Motherboard.

EDIT: download and run CPU-Z and see the Make & Model of your Dell PC and post an image under "Main Board"

View solution in original post

ryzen_type_r
Challenger

If you're talking about just a CPU swap, no, a Ryzen won't work, Threadrippers use a completely different socket as the CPU package is much much larger.

The only possible CPU swap you can do that will be Win 11 compatible is to a 2xxx series Threadripper.  3xxx series Threadrippers use a different socket than the one you have now (physically identical, but electrically incompatible).

Check with Dell before purchasing anything.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If your Dell Alienware R51 has a OEM DELL Motherboard installed than you will need to ask Dell to see which threadripper processors are supported on that specific Motherboard.

If it uses a 3rd party Motherboard like MSI or Gigabyte or Asus then please post the Make & Model otherwise there is no way to suggest which processor to update if a propriety DELL Motherboard installed.

According to Dell your Model PC comes with either 8,12, or 16, core Threadripper TR4 socket processors and the 1950X is a 16 core Threadripper processor.

I was  unable to find out the motherboard installed in your Ryzen Dell Alienware but by the shape of the computer case it most likely is a OEM DELL Motherboard.

The only thing you can do is open a DELL Support ticket and find out which TR4 processors your Alienware 51 Threadripper supports and which BIOS version you will need to install and to be recognized and supported by your DELL OEM Motherboard.

EDIT: download and run CPU-Z and see the Make & Model of your Dell PC and post an image under "Main Board"

ryzen_type_r
Challenger

If you're talking about just a CPU swap, no, a Ryzen won't work, Threadrippers use a completely different socket as the CPU package is much much larger.

The only possible CPU swap you can do that will be Win 11 compatible is to a 2xxx series Threadripper.  3xxx series Threadrippers use a different socket than the one you have now (physically identical, but electrically incompatible).

Check with Dell before purchasing anything.

Patrick7
Journeyman III

Thank you for the reponses, I had thought as much just wanted to be sure. Looks like I will have to break open my piggy bank.

Thank you again for the help....

Regards 

Patrick7...

Which Alienware Area-51 Threadripper model do you have, the R3 or R6 version?

I noticed that the Alienware Area-51 Threadripper R7 uses the 2000 series Threadripper CPU (Windows 11 supported processor).  Maybe if you can get Dell to sell you the motherboard from that model so that you can replace the one for the 1000 Series Threadripper.

That is if the R7 Motherboard will fit in the R3/6 Computer case and the RAM Memory is still compatible with the 2000 series CPU.

ryzen_type_r
Challenger

Just FYI, with the pre-release builds of Windows 11 at least, the installer only checks for Secure Boot, TPM, and sufficient RAM.  It won't block installation based on the type of CPU.  These installer checks can be bypassed - I was able to install it on an 8-year old Ivy Bridge system (no TPM or Secure Boot) and Windows works fine.

Microsoft has not explained exactly why older CPU's are not supported other than implying they are less secure.