cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

oldgazer
Adept I

A-10 7860K processor and Auss A88AM-A mother board run like molasses.

I replaced an aging Asus M3A78-EM mother board and an Athlon 7750 Dual-Core 2.7gHz processor with an Asus A88AM-A mother board and a AMD A-107860K processor.  The old board had 4 gigs of ram and an ATI 4600 series display adapter with 2 gigs of ram, the new board has 16gigs that is shared with the GPU. I used the same case, power supply monitor, and hard drives.  I did a clean install of Windows 10 and let Auto Update do its thing.  I did not make any changes in BIOS or attempt to over clock the system.

On the previous system I had been running Steam and playing Company of Heroes (Yeah, its old but its the best game I've ever had, and that includes what's on my Xbox One). 

I installed Steam and the CoH files.  CoH would appear to hang on the opening movies.  Opening Task Manager I could see the CPU load from CoH decreasing and the bouncing in the low teens...  I never could get CoH to run properly.  I'm thinking its a Steam issue, so I uninstalled CoH and Steam, I ran CCleaner to clean up the registry, and then installed CoH, Tales of Valor and Opposing Fronts from the DVDs.  Still no joy,  On a hunch I took the ATI Radeon 4600 from from the old system and stuck it on the new MB.  The system seemed to run better, but CoH still failed to launch.

At this point I uninstalled CoH and Steam.  I ran Ccleaner to clean up the registry, and then I tried to reinstall CoH.  I say tried because setup would sorta kinda finish, but CoH still would not launch..

I broke out my google-fu and hit the 'Net.  Come to find out this "Accelerated Processor" isn't so accelerated.  I ran a bench test program called UserBenchfmark, and it said this "Accelerated Processor" was not at all good for doing any kind of graphic intensive work and that included playing games..  So WTH?  I have a 2.7 ghz quad-core Athlon 7750 that out performs a 3.6gHz quad core A-10?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/83781/AMD-A10-7860K-Radeon-R7-12-Compute-Cores-4C-8G

So. what I'm looking at  is a 4gHz Athlon x4 880K.  What would be good match in video card?

0 Likes
0 Replies