cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kaptenkaktus
Journeyman III

9 3900x overheating 89 celsius when gaming

Hello, my 9 3900x goes rly hot from just gaming and using something like discord, as high as 89 celsius when been gaming for a while. 

While looking in a program called core temp it says that my cpu volt is at 1.5v but sometimes (mostly) when active or running programs it lowers itself to about 1.42.. something and then moves up and down to 1.5 from that. But when the computer isnt doing anything its a steady 1.5v.

I tried to download Ryzen Master to have a another source to analyze the temp but when trying to start ryzen master it says ''ryzen master unable to initialize'' and none seems to have  a trustworthy solution for that just yet. 

I am using the wraith prism cooler and the latest bios for my motherboard asus tuf b450-plus gaming. 

Should i just lower the volt settings in bios? But I dont want worse performance, I wanna be able to apply the highperformance in bios but now I dont dare cus the temps alrdy to high without ''overclock''. 

Or can the update of a chipset driver solve this? Everything else seems to be working fine except the scary temps and high volt.

0 Likes
2 Replies
hyevltg3
Adept II

Dont go touching volts if you have no idea what you are doing.

Can you tell us more about your system ? component names of MB, Ram, AMD 3900X, GPU (could be helpful)

1.4v is normal I think the 1.5v could be Power Plan settings ? if you are on Windows, check your Power plan.

Does it stay 1.5v at idle ?

0 Likes

I would try a stronger CPU Cooler than the Prism.

Also your Prism has a tiny switch on the body. One position is for performance which makes the Prism run faster for hotter processors or for heavy loads or Overclocking.

Your Processor has a TDP of 105 Watts. So you would need a strong powerful CPU Cooler of 150 Watts or higher TDP.

Noctua or Coolermaster Air CPU Coolers or something similar or just install a AIO 240MM or larger CPU Cooler if they fit in your computer case.

The Maximum operating temperature of your processor is 95C so you are getting close before the processor starts to throttle or reduce speed to maintain temperatures at 95C or below.

NOTE: To eliminate poor air flow in your computer case remove one side of the computer case panel and see if temperatures are cooler. If not then most probably it is your Prism or CPU Cooler.

AMD Prism is a good CPU Cooler but 3rd party CPU Coolers being sold are better and stronger than the Prism.

0 Likes