cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Wolverine2349
Journeyman III

7950X3D - Want a 7800X3D - Disabling 2nd CCD in BIOS is all I need to do correct and should be same

I scored a lucky good deal on a Ryzen 7950X3D in trade for probably $100 less than MSRP after factoring in components worth I traded so now wnat to put it to use, but as a 7800X3D as I only want to cool 8 cores and I primarily only game. But 7800X3D is not out yet and is not for at least 3 more weeks and tired of waiting.

From what I have read, disabling non-3D cache CCD at BIOS level the 7950X3D with 1st CCD enabled only in BIOS should be exactly the same as upcoming 7800X3D correct? I do not want to deal with the scheduling issues of both CCDs  and XBOX Game bar and such and had the 7800X3D in mind as I mostly only play games and do not run any intense background tasks except basic background tasks like AV and temp monitor and FPS counter. Problem is 7800X3D is not out yet and I want to build ASAP this new setup and cannot wait.

So am I correct that structurally there is 0 difference between the actual 7800X3D and 7950X3D with non cached CCD disabled. And also there is no special BIOS mode or special XBOX Game bar or driver and such to use the 7950X3D 2nd CCD disabled or 7800X3D. Or is there? Cause if there still is, I may just sell it as I do not want to deal with those issues. If it is fine with just 3D cached CCD and no others as should be case with 7950X 2nd CCD disabled or single 3D cached CCD upcoming product named 7800X3D, then I am all good.

Anything else to be concerned with or all good if I disable 2nd CCD and should be able to use 7950X3D no different than 7800X3D and once again even any concerns with the later besides of course I know productivity apps that favor high clock speeds will not perform as well, but they still perform easily far more than enough for me.

I have researched and it seems this is the case, but wanted some other opinions to be sure.

Though especially important to ask on the AMD forums themselves as they should know better than anyone.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Wolverine2349
Journeyman III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iif8AR7E8x4

David McAfee does state that all Ryzen 7000 X3D chips were on schedule and reason why 7800X3D is being released last is because they wanted to focus on the special engineering that went into dual chiplet parts for productivity. And they stated 7800X3D was made like 6800X3D so they knew what to do and thus it is being released later as all energy or something went into the 7900X3d AND 7950X3D. Well I mean the only extyra effort was engineering the design right. I mean isn't the 3D cache chiplet in the 7950X3D the exact same one as what will be a single chiplet in 7800X3D? So why would they have that released later and what extra to focus?

I take it more focus on supply to ensure there is enough X3D CCD for 7950X and it has nothing to do with some technical difference for 7800X3D that would make it better for gaming having only 1 physical X3D CCD present as opposed to 2 physical CCDs present with one supposedly being exactly the same and the non-3D being disabled? David McAfee comment does make me want me questions answered.

0 Likes