Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Criticalxp
Adept I

7950X Boot problem

Hey,
I have recently completed my new Ryzen 7950X build and everything seemed fine at first. I installed Windows and the PC worked perfectly. However when I powered on the PC the next day, it didn't boot and the red CPU LED on the motherboard was on. My monitor didn't get a signal and the lighting on my keyboard and mouse didn't light up either, the fans and lighting inside the case worked fine though.

I then held down the power button to forcibly shut down the PC. After shutting down I turned the PC on again and it booted into safe mode and I could access the BIOS. When I exited the BIOS the PC booted into Windows fine, and I could continue to use the PC  without a problem.  

This boot problem happens everytime when I turn on the system. Restarting the system from within Windows all works fine by the way. I didn't tweak anything in the BIOS, other than EXPO, that could have messed something up.

I've searched the entire internet for a solution, but I could not find anyone else with the same problem. The weird thing about this problem is that I can use the PC normally after booting into safe mode. Does anyone know a fix for this problem.

Parts:
- Asus Prime X670E Pro WiFi (BIOS version 0821, 4.11.02.829 chipset driver)
- AMD Ryzen 7950X
- Corsair RM850X (850W)
- No GPU (yet)
- G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 32GB (with EXPO on & off)
- Windows 11

7 Replies

Let me see if I read your post correctly.

If you restart your PC through normal Windows Restart it boots back into Windows without issue. But if you power down the PC and start it from a cold start is when you have the boot issues.

Sounds either like a PSU going bad or Motherboard hardware issue. Since it happens BEFORE Windows loads up. So no 3rd party start up or driver would be causing the problem.

Could be a Windows Boot Manager is corrupted (BCD). Run in a elevated Command Prompt or Powershell to check your Windows OS the following command line : SFC /scannow  see if any errors shows up after finishing.

I would first rule out your PSU.

To check your PSU, Download the freeware OCCT Stress testing app and run all three Stress tests. See if your PC shuts down during the PSU test or not or any of the other 2 tests.

When running the OCCT PSU Test and all other test keep a close eye on Temperatures, Fan speeds and especially your PSU Outputs (3.3/5.0/12.0 Vdc). Make sure nothing looks out of the ordinary.

It could be the PSU is not supplying sufficient power when you first power up from a cold start since, I believe, during a Restart the PSU doesn't need the initial power to power up the PC. Just guessing though.

Just in case it is a RAM incompatibility issue. Remove all RAM sticks except for A2 DIMM slot and see if the problem still happens. If it doesn't then add another RAM stick in B2 and so forth.

This will rule out your RAM not being 100% incompatible with your Motherboard or CPU.

Yes, you read the post correctly. The issue only happens from a cold start. 

I ran the command line: SFC /scannow in the Command Prompt as you said and when it was done it said that Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and succesfully repaired them. I then ran it again and it did not find any integrity violations.

I also did all the tests in OCCT. The PC did fine in all these tests and did not show anything out of the ordinary. The temperatures were normal for an 7950X during testing, and the PSU Outputs reported 3,296 V (3VCC) / 4,980 V (+5V) / 11,884 V (+12V) and were all stable. Only the 3VCC fluctuated a very tiny bit. I'm not that knowledgeable on PSU's, but I think those are normal numbers.

I will remove the RAM sticks tomorrow except for the A2 DIMM and see if that fixes anything.
Thanks for replying and trying to help!

I'm also wondering why you are using integrated graphics with this computer.  But since you are, there might be some BIOS setting regarding which display adapter to use, and you'll want it set to the integrated graphics.  

I just checked for an updated BIOS for your Asus Prime X670E Pro WiFi, beyond BIOS version 0821, but that is the latest one.  Problems with new motherboards are often associated with the BIOS, as you probably know.  You might consider clearing the CMOS settings, by pulling the battery and shorting the pins for a minute.  Sometimes settings can get messed up when a BIOS is flashed.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I am currently using the integrated graphics from the CPU, because I wanted to wait for the pricing and performance of the new RX 7000 cards before pulling the trigger on a GPU. 

Anyway the weirdest thing happened this morning, cause when I turned on the PC from a cold start, it booted into Windows normally without any problems. This was the first time it worked properly.

I have no clue how this happened. The only thing I did was follow the steps @elstaci gave me. Could it be that the SFC /scannow in the Command Prompt has fixed the issue, as it did say it had found corrupt files?

Maybe this was just a one time luck, or maybe it fixed the issue. Anyway, I will keep you guys updated!

I just signed up to community.amd.com to let you know that I have this exact same motherboard and I have the exact same issues.

Some quick things:

Recovering from no boot scenarios:

-There's a reset and reboot button on the MB - in worst cases, you can use that reset button to reset the bios and get in the BIOS and check things (reset to defaults).

-Also, I find quite a few times I'll need to power off/power on until I reach a BIOS menu that says hit F1 to enter the BIOS due to non-boots and then I will go to Advanced, Exit, Reset to Defaults, Save, Exit and everything works fine.

-Regarding Windows: Windows will go into an automatic repair mode after 3x subsequent no boots via EUFI, so hence, you may think you have a Windows issue, but that's not the problem that I can see currently on this MB.  It's just Windows reacting to multiple noboots in a row.

BIOS Updates:

-2/3 BIOS Updates have become available since you posted this - you tell me if that shouts "stability" on this motherboard or not?  (Never mind, I just went to the support site and there are 5 including the latest BETA BIOS release ROFL!!!!!1111 - I didn't list the one from 2022/11/25 and there are 2x before that )

Serious:

Version 1222
9.18 MB
2023/02/24

Version 1223
9.18 MB
2023/03/17

Version 1406
9.2 MB
2023/04/07

Version 1408
9.2 MB
2023/04/13

Version 1410
Beta Version
9.21 MB
2023/04/14
My Issues with this MB:

-I have the exact same MB: PRIME X670E-PRO WIFI - with AMD Ryzen 7950X AND I DO actually have a video card: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX.  I did not particularly want to purchase this Motherboard (I would have preferred ASROCK honestly) but it was a bundle through Microcenter.

-I have AMD Adrenalin installed.  ANY Time - I make changes to settings there, I end up in a scenario where the Machine will not boot.

I also have Ryzen Master installed.  ANY Time - I make changes to settings there, I end up in a scenario where the Machine will not boot.

What am I saying on these last 2x statements?  It's hit or miss when choosing options in AMD Adrenaline like: "Overclock CPU" - this can sometimes work, if BIOS settings are completely default - if the BIOS Settings have EXPO II set, the machine will go into a state where it will never boot and I have to reset the BIOS to defaults, hence it seems: None of the OC Settings in AMD Adrenaline will work very well unless the BIOS is on complete defaults.

I was an Avid overclocker on prev. systems, I'll tell you I can't get much out of this one, because any little tweak or change requires the BIOS to be reset.  I could list all of the things I've tried on this MB, but at the end of the day; I've always had to reset this BIOS to defaults.  With NO  TWEAKs and EXPO II Set, the Machine will boot most of the time ... but there are still strange instabilities every once in a while.

Exact Specs:

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor, 4501 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1223, 3/2/2023
OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
Name AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX

MEMORY:
DDR5 G.SKILL 32G 2X D5 6000 C36 FX B (2x 16GB Pieces) - I suspect part of the issue, not sure (this came in the Microcenter bundle).

So, apparently we should install the beta BIOS update? Looks like I am one "stable" update behind after a few weeks - Will give the latest stable and probably BETA bios builds here in a bit.
Looks like Version 1408 2023/04/13 says: "Improve system performance and stabilize AMD Ryzen 7000 X3D series processors." ... hmm ..

tstec
Adept III

Hi

My 7700X on a MSI motherboard takes maybe 30 seconds to boot from a cold start

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You could probably change a BIOS setting for a 'fast start' if you don't like waiting.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes