Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

slaindevil
Adept I

6 cores of 5900x suddenly at ~560Mhz after boot

Hey guys,

maybe someone can help me on here. I own a 5900x since January 2nd and I never had any problems with it. It worked great, until yesterday.

Yesterday and also today suddenly the 6 cores of the first DIE were fixed at ~560Mhz after boot.

A restart fixed the issue on both occasions, but thats not gonna work for me, if this problem continues.

Anyone encountered this problem as well? Anyone got a solution?

The mainboard is a MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi.

GSkill 32GB RAM @3600MHz by XMP profile.

Newest chipset drivers from AMD are installed.

I am running Windows 10, all updates installed.

I had Ryzen Master installed once, because I was curious. But I didn't like it and uninstalled it right away.

The CPU is configured in the BIOS as following:

95W mode, Curve Optimizer is set to -30 on all cores, -0,075V

The CPU worked rock solid with those settings for the last 3 weeks.

Best regards,

slain

0 Likes
1 Solution

I tried around a lot, but it seems like I now finally found the solution.

Changing a hell lot of settings in the BIOS did NOT solve the problem.

But disabling the fast boot option in the energy settings of Windows 10 solved the problem.

Its now been two weeks without any multiplier problems, since I disabled the fast boot option.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
ScotchFury
Challenger

I experienced a similar issue with my 3700X.. 

It would only run any of the cores to around 400 - 600MHz and would return to normal after a restart.

For me, it ended up being the odd time I turned off the power supply upon turning it back on the first start would run at those low speeds. I removed the cheap-ish UPS I had connected to it and it runs fine at full speed even if power supply is switched off.

Ended up reading that some power supplies especially Gold + & high efficiency PSU's don't like simulated sinewave and was triggering some form of 'limp Or protection' mode. 

So I've retired the UPS to modem / router backup and just run a surge protector on the  PC.

Probably unrelated to your issue but thought I'd mention it as it's uncannily simular.

## PSU is a EVGA G2 750W.

0 Likes
mrsense
Adept II

Did you flash a new bios before the problem occurred for the first time?

Why are you doing negative offset in the curve optimizer and negative Vcore offset together?

The negative offset in the curve optimizer alone already lowers the voltage. 

Also, negative 30 seems excessive.

What this youtube to learn PBO2. https://youtu.be/dU5qLJqTSAc

0 Likes

Thanks for the video, I will check it out, if I can learn something from it.

I did not change the PC in any ways. This just suddenly approached. The only thing that could have changed itself is Windows with an update. I did no driver updates, no bios flashes, no hardware changes, no Windows setting changes, nothing.

I am doing negative CO and VCore offset, since the CO is at max with -30 and the CPU is still okay with less voltage running stable.

I was aiming for lower temperatures and a therefore quieter PC.

Like I said, the PC was running fine for over 3 weeks. I tested the settings and performance multiple times with Cinebench R23, used Prime95 and both simultaneously with Uniheaven for more heat testing. I also did normal working and gaming with multiple games.

And if the CPU runs fine with -30 all core, why not have it there?

Due to this problem reoccuring two days ago I changed the CPU bios settings to 105W, -30 all core, -0,1V.

Since then the bug did not reappear, but I will keep my eye open

0 Likes

This is just a guess, but try this maybe you can get your pc back to operating normal this way.

Turn off the power
remove power cable ( or turn off on switch on the PSU )
hold in the Power button for 10 seconds ( this will decharge the system )
Open your pc and remove the battery on the motherboard.
Wait 15 or better 30  minutes and instert the battery again and boot your pc.

When you boot your pc the first time
press and hold Reset key
press power key and turn on pc.
Release Reset after example 3-5seconds.
This will reset your bios
( remember to go into bios and turn on XMP for your ram and other settings afterwards ).

Personaly i had issues my self some years ago but my problem was my old nvidia graphics card would not boot/post a picture after a firmware update.
I tried for many houres and finaly i did the above and then my computer worked again.

0 Likes

Thats sound very interesting. I will definitely try it out when the problem happens again.

0 Likes

I tried around a lot, but it seems like I now finally found the solution.

Changing a hell lot of settings in the BIOS did NOT solve the problem.

But disabling the fast boot option in the energy settings of Windows 10 solved the problem.

Its now been two weeks without any multiplier problems, since I disabled the fast boot option.

0 Likes