cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

matty1961
Adept I

5950x WHEA erros GGGRRRRRRHHHHHH had enough now.

Ok, A long time intel user that has switched to AMD with Gigabyte Extreme X570 board with 5950X and 32g DDR3600 memory.  all water cooled with a dual 480 rads dual pump system. also using a 8Pack 2000w PSU. Power is not an issue.

I have built PC's for many years since the old athlon days and P2 systems. My last system before the 5950x was a 9900k which sat at 5ghz all core for a year with out 1 error. I waited for the ryzan 5950x as it promised so much.

So i purchase the above and build my system, all i am waiting for is the 5950x on launch day. I manage to snag one and after flashing bios i install the 5950x and WAM my troubles begin. I have used every bios gigabyte have issued but none of them have cured the WHEA error's. Some bios have been better but never 100% stable. for 1 month plus i have tried to get the system stable and have spent many hours reading all the forums and posts on this issue to which i might add there are many.

I have tried 4 sets of memory, 2 stick 4 stick combo's and all this memory worked fine in an intel system.  I even swapped out another 5950x from a friend which turned out worse than my first one on infinity fabric, Flck was worse. I have spent far to long on this system. It should be plug and play with out issue's. both CPU's should be able to run the same but this was not the case. One could reach DDR3600 speed the other could not. with out rebooting quite often on the exact same settings as the other 5950x. this alone proves to me its a silicone lottery to get a CPU to run at advertised speeds alone. they are obviously not being tested properly at there advertised speeds.

So i am at the crossroads that i will RMA my 5950x and M/B for a refund and go back to intel, yes it might be slower for encoding and work flow but at least it will be stable. Its a shame AMD cant offer any resolution's for this issue. either bad silicone which if thats the case to many CPU's have got through with out checking they actually run as advertised.

If its a chipset M/B issue then AMD should have the supplier's of M/B's sorted after 6 weeks. business user's cant wait for poor AMD support as AMD rely on board makers to provide the platforms for there CPU's and as a business user i cant put any more time into a Flaky unstable combination of M/B and CPU. 

For AMD i feel its either time to be honest and say you have some bad silicone out there or FIX the issue with board makers as the problems are wide spread and any company looking to upgrade or replace computer systems that look into AMD ryzen as an option will come across all the issues people are having. Company's do not need unstable systems even if when working are faster.

So after a 6 week period of trying and spending many many hours i have to say good bye to AMD systems as far as my work place and home PC is concerned. the CPU's are just to inconsistent and have issue's that internet forums are full of.

So in the end its been an expensive waste of time and money on water blocks for AMD cpu's but i live and learn and i will now build me an intel system as i have done many times with out issue with WHEA error's.

21 Replies