cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ccac3
Journeyman III

5950x USB controller issue

I just built a new system with the specs below. I am having a ton of trouble getting the USB ports driven by the CPU to work. On the back of my motherboard the ports not working are the 4 USB 3.0 ports that are driven by the CPU (one white, one blue and the two red ones below them), not by the chipset, per Gigabytes specs. The USB 2.0 ports above the 4 ports work. USB 3 ports plugged into the motherboard header also work.

Could the USB controller on my CPU be bad/failed?

In windows device manager, when I plug anything in, the device gets an exclamation mark next to it and this error is reported by windows: 

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

The USB hub failed to reset.

I have tried all of this with no success:

Fresh install of windows 10

Disable C states

PCIex16 slot set to 3.0

If I boot into safe mode and plug anything into the ports it immediately causes a bluescreen crash

Specs:

5950x

Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 (using latest bios version, F33c)

G. Skill 128gb RAM

Samsung 980 pro M.2 NVME drives x2 (1 in each of the top 2 M.2 slots)

0 Likes
3 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

There's a known issue but not answerable here. Read this and there's a link to AMD's official Redditt where they want input from users like yourself that have this problem. Could be an Agesa update needed or something. Many haven't experienced this issue, myself included. It has affected random Ryzen anything Zen 2 and 3 so far. Here's the link and sorry, no specific answer yet:

AMD To Probe Potential USB Connectivity Issue on Ryzen Systems (anandtech.com)

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

Thanks! I have been reading quite a bit about that. The one thing that concerns me is that in some ways my issue seems a bit different than others. Having said that, many people are reporting different types of issues with different hardware setups. Based on the advice on reddit and elsewhere I opened a support ticket in case AMD wants more info from me that could help resolve the issue.

It's not much different. The CPU aspect of communicating to the chipset happens via BIOS, specifically the AGESA portion. If you look a the diagram on that page, you can see the data path for the signal. For a rapid fix, flash the BIOS back one, see if the problem goes away. Soon the new AGESA 1.2.0.1 comes out and that may fix it. I can say it's not the CPU because you would have more than just that going on. The same part that deals with USB, handles PCIe, and RAM.

However, if you want to jump in on the "RMA bandwagon" because everyone is blaming the 5950X for every problem, go ahead. Put a request for RMA in via AMD support directly, not in this forum. They don't issue RMA's here. The wait time is long for a replacement, be forewarned, if you can return to vendor it might be quicker. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes