cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tecnition
Adept I

5950X Random Crashes--Pulling Hair Out!

I’m incredibly aggravated at this point and have almost no stamina left me in to continue troubleshooting. With that said, I’d like to write out the specs and the issues I’m having and what I've done to fix it.

• CPU: AMD 5950X
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX3080 GV-N3080VISION
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
  • Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
  • PSU: GIGABYTE GP-P850GM
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • HDD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME

I’ve been having serious instability issues with the system. If I’m lucky enough to even get into Windows, it will BSOD or just completely randomly restart without any error of any kind.

The errors include (from what I remember):

• KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (dxgmms2.sys failed)
  • REFERENCE BY POINTER
  • SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

I’ve tried to clean install Windows from a USB but it freezes at some point or another, usually when I’m deleting Partition. Or freezes for no reason at all.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far that did not solve my problems:

1. XMP IS NOT ON IN BIOS. Everything is default.
  2. Took Gigabyte GPU out and put it into my personal system. No issues, plays games fine.
  3. Bought new GSKILL 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 RAM and put it into system. Same problems.
  4. Bought a whole new motherboard from Microcenter to see if it solved the problem. (Same motherboard by the way). Same problem.
  5. Updated BIOS on both motherboards
  6. Bought new PSU (Corsair RMx 850)
  7. Used a random 256GB SSD to install Windows, still freezes

At this point, the only thing I haven't done is change the CPU.

I’m really at a point where I don’t know what else to do. I’ve spent way too much time on this already and the worst part is: the system was working completely fine for two whole days before **bleep**ting the bed. Nothing was changed. No new hardware added. Nothing. Just my buddy playing Call of Duty and then calls me up and asks if my system has ever "mysteriously restarted while playing a game."

This is a system I convinced a close friend of mine to spend money on. I told him I would build it and it would be great for gaming and streaming. I’m really kicking myself and I feel really bad for my buddy who's trying his hardest to be patient.

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem. 

So I finally solved my issue... I RMA'd the $799 5950X and bought a 3950X for $679.99. 

Lesson learned, if I ever buy AMD products again, I will do so with a grain of salt

I'm still a little shocked that we haven't heard anything from AMD on the matter as to why some of their chips are BSOD'ing and getting random reboots.

Here's a hardware company that happens to be selling one of the most 'sought out after' products during both Christmas/COVID pandemic. Who has not acknowledged that there are serious repercussions to using their new CPUs.

I would love to tell you guys that I RMA'd the CPU, got another one and it worked 100% but seeing as how I'm building this for work, for a friend, it was a small nightmare of a process. 

What should've been a fun little adventure (getting the hardware, staying up all night to get on the Microcenter line) became use annoyed and peeved with the constant process of troubleshooting. 

Oh well, live and learn. 

Thanks again to everyone!

View solution in original post

20 Replies