cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tecnition
Adept I

5950X Random Crashes--Pulling Hair Out!

I’m incredibly aggravated at this point and have almost no stamina left me in to continue troubleshooting. With that said, I’d like to write out the specs and the issues I’m having and what I've done to fix it.

• CPU: AMD 5950X
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX3080 GV-N3080VISION
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
  • Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
  • PSU: GIGABYTE GP-P850GM
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • HDD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME

I’ve been having serious instability issues with the system. If I’m lucky enough to even get into Windows, it will BSOD or just completely randomly restart without any error of any kind.

The errors include (from what I remember):

• KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (dxgmms2.sys failed)
  • REFERENCE BY POINTER
  • SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

I’ve tried to clean install Windows from a USB but it freezes at some point or another, usually when I’m deleting Partition. Or freezes for no reason at all.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far that did not solve my problems:

1. XMP IS NOT ON IN BIOS. Everything is default.
  2. Took Gigabyte GPU out and put it into my personal system. No issues, plays games fine.
  3. Bought new GSKILL 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 RAM and put it into system. Same problems.
  4. Bought a whole new motherboard from Microcenter to see if it solved the problem. (Same motherboard by the way). Same problem.
  5. Updated BIOS on both motherboards
  6. Bought new PSU (Corsair RMx 850)
  7. Used a random 256GB SSD to install Windows, still freezes

At this point, the only thing I haven't done is change the CPU.

I’m really at a point where I don’t know what else to do. I’ve spent way too much time on this already and the worst part is: the system was working completely fine for two whole days before **bleep**ting the bed. Nothing was changed. No new hardware added. Nothing. Just my buddy playing Call of Duty and then calls me up and asks if my system has ever "mysteriously restarted while playing a game."

This is a system I convinced a close friend of mine to spend money on. I told him I would build it and it would be great for gaming and streaming. I’m really kicking myself and I feel really bad for my buddy who's trying his hardest to be patient.

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem. 

So I finally solved my issue... I RMA'd the $799 5950X and bought a 3950X for $679.99. 

Lesson learned, if I ever buy AMD products again, I will do so with a grain of salt

I'm still a little shocked that we haven't heard anything from AMD on the matter as to why some of their chips are BSOD'ing and getting random reboots.

Here's a hardware company that happens to be selling one of the most 'sought out after' products during both Christmas/COVID pandemic. Who has not acknowledged that there are serious repercussions to using their new CPUs.

I would love to tell you guys that I RMA'd the CPU, got another one and it worked 100% but seeing as how I'm building this for work, for a friend, it was a small nightmare of a process. 

What should've been a fun little adventure (getting the hardware, staying up all night to get on the Microcenter line) became use annoyed and peeved with the constant process of troubleshooting. 

Oh well, live and learn. 

Thanks again to everyone!

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Stop pulling your hair out. 
Try https://www.rogaine.com/
to repair the damage. 

Are you sure the RAM is o.k?
Fit one stick of RAM at a time in the primary RAM slot on the motherboard and test it using MemTest86 on a USB Stick. 
https://www.memtest86.com/

I assume you downloaded this BIOS: 

Version 3001
2020/12/08 19.98 MBytes

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) BIOS 3001
"1. New CPU support
2. Add a ReSize BAR shortcut for AMD SAM support"

860lacov
Adept III

Hot5950x
Adept I

As others have said, first thing would be to make sure the motherboard BIOS update to support the CPU has worked fully and properly.

I had some system instability also and just like you, I went through and swapped a lot of kit out only to find out in the end that it was (likely) badly seated DRAM. After 30 mins of removing/reseating the DRAM, ensuring the matching pairs were successfully in the right slots, the system just seemed to start working OK. However, during that time I also performed several CMOS resets too, as advice online was that BIOS settings corruption could also be playing a part. 

I didn't have BSODs but I had random PC restarts during usage, as well as many failures of the PSU to even power on in the first place (would get some initial power to fans then it would all shut down until a switch off/on was performed). All of this researching online pointed to DRAM seating.

Sorry, I know its not great. I spent approx 20 hours across two days troubleshooting the above and emotion played far too much of a part, so I feel your pain. Just take things one step at a time, right back to basics and reseat/step through each time, marking off what you've checked as you go. It helps to focus the mind.

Good luck!

I'm having issue about it restart when i play my game but it happen once per day so far so I don't know what the problem im up to the recent date for it

Thank you for your link @colesdav.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I mean seriously. 

I need this system up and ready as soon as possible since the person I'm building it for needs it for work with editing/content creation. 

I'm going to try and get another CPU. If I can't, its BYE BYE AMD and HELLO INTEL. 

I mean, I'm starting to think these AMD processors were rushed out faster than the COVID19 vaccine. 

TRIED A NEW MOTHERBOARD: THE MSI MAG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI. SAME ISSUE. SYSTEM STALLS COMPLETELY WHEN TRYING TO INSTALL WINDOWS FROM USB.

@deepcuts Thanks for this, very interesting and kinda crazy that this isn't getting more coverage.

I have the same mobo as you, except the x570 pro wifi with a 5950x. I too had been getting random restarts and crashes. I had been troubleshooting for 8 hours+, running memtests, up and downgrading bios versions, nothing seemed to help. Then I disabled the performance cpu boost in bios and the C states and it seems to be running now (don't want to jinx it). Steady for 8+ hours, will update when it keeps on going. This isn't default bios settings though so I expect more stability fixes with new bios updates so I can go back to the old settings. Currently the cpu won't boost to 4.9ghz because of this. 

It definitely needs more coverage so I put together all of the urls related to this issue in reddit. I hope they pay attention!

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/kfyst7/random_bsods_with_amd_5000_series_processor/

I think this video may help, video title is Guide: What to do AFTER building your computer. In the video computer also build on a  X570 mobo, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYoCXh2gtw

your computer is better than this one, but things to boot the new system are the same.

• CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Overheating cause random crash.

Air cooling not enough.

Require liquid cooling. 

Cmon, if you are clueless about this particular issue, just do not post replies.
Just replaced my 5950X with a new one and the new one is rock solid so far.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem. 

So I finally solved my issue... I RMA'd the $799 5950X and bought a 3950X for $679.99. 

Lesson learned, if I ever buy AMD products again, I will do so with a grain of salt

I'm still a little shocked that we haven't heard anything from AMD on the matter as to why some of their chips are BSOD'ing and getting random reboots.

Here's a hardware company that happens to be selling one of the most 'sought out after' products during both Christmas/COVID pandemic. Who has not acknowledged that there are serious repercussions to using their new CPUs.

I would love to tell you guys that I RMA'd the CPU, got another one and it worked 100% but seeing as how I'm building this for work, for a friend, it was a small nightmare of a process. 

What should've been a fun little adventure (getting the hardware, staying up all night to get on the Microcenter line) became use annoyed and peeved with the constant process of troubleshooting. 

Oh well, live and learn. 

Thanks again to everyone!

How long was the RMA process. I just purchased and installed my 5950x after my 3950x was running perfectly fine. 

The only thing that changed was the CPU and now the cpu crashes and runs hot 🔥

Mind you, I'm on a full custom water cooling loop.

I can't even get roblox to run without the whole system crashing. 

I also have everything set to auto and core boost performance disabled. 

I disabled core boost performance and Temps dropped dramatically at idle, like 10 to 20c. 

Unfortunately, nothing that I've done keeps my PC from crashing right on the start of a game. 

I've submitted an RMA request to AMD, so we'll see how long it takes for them to get back to me. 

Okay, there is definitely something up with these chips because I bought one from microcenter as a test to see if it was a chip issue, that one worked fine but the one I got back as the RMA replacement has the same issues?!!?

How is the RMA process? I'm having issues with my setup as well.

I have a 5900X. My system will boot just fine and load Windows 10 with no problems. I can open browsers and view plenty of tabs no problem. I can load and play COD Warzone and Diablo III just fine but here's the weird part... After I exit the game and software, the system immediately starts to freeze up; first with exiting open browser windows and moving windows, then the start menu starts to freeze up and I can't start a new program. Eventually the mouse freezes within a few minutes. This behavior has been discussed in other communities. Could my chipset be from a bad batch?

The only thing I tried so far was turn on DOCP in my BIOS and that didn't fix the problem.

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
AMD 5900X
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING Video Card
Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Corsair RMx 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
aramaz
Journeyman III

Hi tecnition.

I have had an issue of Motherboard Error Code 00 that happens randomly with absolutely no trace of BSOD anywhere.

I changed the motherboard, and I RMAed the 5950x three times!

Everything works perfectly everywhere except in one game. And I am wondering if others have this issue or not.

The game is called Nimbatus - The Space Drone Constructor which is a fantastic space physics game. I get the halt anywhere between 1 minutes to 10 minutes in while clicking on some buttons.

Funny enough, I tried 5800x and it never ever has this issue.

It must be a defect that AMD is still not aware off.

I thought it is because i have MSI B550 Unify and not a X570. But now I think it could be like a manufacturing defect or incompatibility that needs to be address but i am not getting any traction other than the support trying to send me another 5950x CPU which also crashes again.

If you ever come across that game and have this issue please let me know.

Thanks.

Aram

MMXX
Journeyman III

Had same issues with Ryzen 5950X.
Just few easy steps to fix the issue:
1. Disable SMT from BIOS.
2. Disable one CCD at a time from BIOS. (try to see you if the problem is on only one CCD)
2.1. Disable one core at a time from BIOS.
3. Try to monitor temp. You can use any software (ex: I use Ryzen Master)
3.1. Maybe the CPU water block have flow restrictions in some areas causing some hot spots on the CPU water block.
4. You can try to underclock or undervolt.
4.1. Sometimes overvolting can fix the problem. - DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS !!! (you can permanently damage or kill your CPU and you lose the warranty)
5. If everything work's fine then try to enable things back one by one.

If you still having issues:
1. You can go down the rabbit hole if you have time available.
2. RMA.

jamiec1
Journeyman III

I had same issue.. use the bios to fix the cpu voltage at 1.3 or 1.4 volts .. dont set to auto ... 

0 Likes