Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Kay32
Adept II

5950x Random Crashes and BSOD

Specs:
MotherBoard: Gigabyte B550 DS3H AC BIOS on latest version 16a
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 Model-CMH64GX4M4D3600C18W
Storage: A-XPG SPECTRIX S40G RGB M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) AS40G-2TT-C
B-SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3c Samsung V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V8P2T0B/AM
Cooler: EVGA CLC 280mm All-In-One RGB LED CPU Liquid Cooler, 2x FX13 140mm PWM Fans, Intel, AMD, 5 YR Warranty, 400-HY-CL28-V1
GPU: Zotac 3070
PSU: 750w

I purchased the 5950x on 12/27/2022 and installed it on 12/28/2022
Since the install I have never had so many BSOD errors or crashes from a PC ever. Plus the crasy thermal jumps up and down.

My issue is now is that when ever the cpu is is under any heavier load and not full load my monitors turn black and most of my fans
turn off and PC is completely unresponsive. Only way to reboot is to unplug the pc from the PSU and plug it back in.
Also oncce I had it stable enough to run AMD Ryzen Master I seen that the CPU is running on maximum voltage at all times.
When using All Core or Per Core Curve Optimizer it does the exact same thing.
I know the CPU does run hotter than most people are comfterable with but idling at 60's - 70's is a bit high after reading other 5950x owners.

The BIOS is completely on default with nothing changed so I read all over the internet to change PBO's some times disable them this and that and I dont know what the issue is anymore.
So since i dont like to give up and/or rule out any human error I may or may have not done I checked the CPU to see if i bent any pins by accident but
that was not the case. I also reseated my AIO a few times to see if that makes a difference.

So I am assuming that the CPU is no good and if you or anyone in this community could help out a fellow AMD user that would be amazing.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Kay32
Adept II

So after a long time of testing, reading and researching I am 100% possitive that the B550 DS3h AC just doesnt have the VRM capability of running the 5950x boosted but can run on stock 3400 mhz clock. 

I ran stress tests on the cpu with the case open and the VRM's were just simply overwhelmed and over heating which is the cause of the black screening/ crashes.

So I am now in the market for a x570 board which from what I been reading would be the best choice for the 5950x. But not any x570 boards but those who have more VRM and good heatsinks as well. 

Just want to thank you all for helping me solve my issue on the B550 DS3h AC board and hope this helps others as well who are having the same issue. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
74 Replies

Well **bleep**. Any boards you can recommend that my case can be compatible with?
Case - Rosewill PRISM S White Steel Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower which is compatible with Micro ATX / ATX / Mini ITX 

0 Likes

Here is a VRM bench of B550 motherboard:  

https://youtu.be/JxczZChFaZI?t=910 

Or you could get some decent X570 like Asus X570 TUF or better:

https://youtu.be/m8d4C80Ub_o?t=725 

0 Likes

IS A 65 WATTS AND 24 PSI LINE PROCESSOR POWERFUL???!_)))

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

tryed to read to whole thread rapidly ,

i would check by unscrewing a little bit the motherboard could be a problem with some sort of short circuit with the case if the mb is badly mounted in it ?

this mb is supporting this cpu .. strange that gigabyte ask you to send them whole pc , did they mounted it at start ? (the thnig that you change cpu doesn't cancel warranty then ?)

0 Likes

I have disassembled the entire pc including all cables and hardware incase of a seating issue. I have reseated the CPU in case i bent a pin or something like that. But everything was on solid. Screws on the board are on good and havent over screwed them in as well as the AIO. 

I know for 100% that it is not a mounting issue, PSU issue, or even wiring issue.

Its either a piece of hardware which cant be the RAM because it is working just fine or the GPU which leaves the motherboard or cpu

or it can just be entirely a bios problem for me or a software issue

Kay32, what happened to all the replies and especially mine????????   John.

0 Likes

Its been compressed. If you look up you can see it says Load Previous Replies. We had so many that it had to do that lol 

0 Likes
Kay32
Adept II

image_2023-01-30_222339473.pngALSO! I have noticed something. When I go into Ryzen Master and set to default profile 1 which sets the Mhz to 3400 and voltage too 1.21875v max everything seems fine. I even managed to run VMWare along with some stress testing with Cinebench and run some games that always have been black screening on me after a few minutes. Any thought?

0 Likes

with this settings : less power draw , less demanding usage on other components ... doesn't eliminate some questions,  but well , it's a good start to begin from this point and play with parameters one by one and see which one causes a bsod ...

did you check RAM @3200 ? as you have 4 sticks sometimes regarding bios version it can cause problems , sometime need a little Vram overvoltage (but better try @3200 to check if it helps , and if you're not sure of what to do by overvoltage)

checking ram with memtest or occt doesn't mean stability in real life ... in can indicate faulty ram but not even that is always relevant regarding bad ram settings

Ill test it out @3200 on the ram and will let you know wat happens

Thanks, Kay32. You have setup a Manual overclock. If that suits your needs, then you are good to go. Thanks for "Load Previous Replies". Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
subdread
Adept II

Have u tried disabling C-state and AMD cool&quiet?

0 Likes

No I havent I will have to take a look at that and see where to change that

0 Likes

Hi you solved your problem? Have same issue

0 Likes

When disabling turbo/boost in the bios with everything else default the cpu and PC become stable and I am able to run everything just fine. BUT I am limited to 3400 mhz on the cpu and will not exceed that frequency.

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

@Kay32  do you see your RAM supported by this motherboard?

Gigabyte B550 RAM Support.png

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

RAM is not supported on the list for AMD Vermeer CPU
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_am4_4L4D_vermeer.pdf?v=390bb5e1cba06dbd4601a...
BUT
Here on corsairs site it says it is compatible 
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-RGB-PRO-SL-White/p/CMH64GX4M4D360...
So who may be wrong in this situation 

The support list shows the compatibility as verified by that specific manufacturer. Gigabyte didn't verify the RAM as compatible, but it is possible that it will still work.

Corsair has verified that their RAM works on that chipset with that processor, but the linked page does not show that Corsair has tested it on that motherboard specifically. This means that neither is wrong, because neither claimed their parts run that RAM at that speed in that motherboard. The speed that you should get out of the box is 15-15-15-36 at 2133MHz. Anything faster is an overclock that isn't guaranteed to work by either company.

Your motherboard design (primarily the chipset and VRM) largely determines the clocks and timings you can get with your RAM. Your motherboard has one of the least capable VRMs for the B550 chipset, so you may not get the advertised speed of your RAM with your motherboard if the RAM isn't verified by Gigabyte.

Your RAM uses Samsung memory chiplets, likely B-die.  These chiplets are very good but very sensitive, and running 4 of these sticks at high speeds or tight timings could be very difficult with a poor VRM.

0 Likes
SVHawk13
Adept I

You are crashing because of an issue related to your RAM overclock, CPU overclock, or BIOS. Your first screenshot was showing WHEA errors with IDs of 18 and 46, along with the unexpected shutdown events. WHEA ID 46 is a memory error, and WHEA ID 18 is related to the CPU cache and possibly infinity fabric. The BSOD you shared is also a common BSOD that happens with an incorrect RAM overclock. It can be extremely hard to test RAM overclocks accurately, and not all RAM issues will cause a shutdown reliably! It may be VERY intermittent! The screenshots you shared of your event logs showed several WHEA errors, while the exported logs did not. They may not have contained all of your logs!

The issue may be your motherboard, BIOS, or RAM. Using XMP settings on Ryzen-based motherboards doesn't guarantee stable RAM speeds, especially when you are also overclocking your CPU. XMP with Ryzen only sets a few RAM timings, the RAM's clock rate, and the RAM voltage. This can result in poor performance or instability depending on how the motherboard sets the remaining timings. Some motherboards also have BIOS settings that overclock the CPU by default. Some motherboards need a BIOS update when they are first used.

Your motherboard model does pretty poorly in overclocking tests, including RAM. XMP is just an overclocking profile for RAM. Your motherboard may not be able to handle your RAM at the rated speeds.

First troubleshooting steps:

1. Reset your BIOS settings

2. Update your BIOS to the newest version (F16a)

3. Test stability

4. Check Event Viewer for any WHEA errors

5. If stable, use Ryzen Master to adjust CPU overclock/undervolt if desired.

6. Repeat steps 3-5 until you are fully stable and satisfied with your processor's overclock/undervolt

7. Either enable XMP or manually overclock your RAM. If you don't know how to overclock your RAM, I would recommend just using XMP. It takes a LOT of time and effort to overclock RAM manually! For reference, your RAM is rated for an overclock with the following primary settings: 18-22-22-42, 3600MHz, 1.35V. Your motherboard has NOT been verified by Gigabyte to be compatible with these speeds with your RAM kit! You may not get that level of performance.

8. Test stability

9. Check Event Viewer for WHEA errors.

10. Repeat 7-10 until your RAM OC is stable

If XMP is causing the failure, you need to disable XMP and run stock settings or manually overclock your RAM instead. 

The following programs can be used to test your RAM XMP/overclock. These programs may throw errors/crash/BSOD with a bad RAM overclock. If they do, your RAM XMP/overclock is likely the problem:

• xmrig
  • y-cruncher (BenchMate has an easy GUI for this)
  • TM5
Kay32
Adept II

So after a long time of testing, reading and researching I am 100% possitive that the B550 DS3h AC just doesnt have the VRM capability of running the 5950x boosted but can run on stock 3400 mhz clock. 

I ran stress tests on the cpu with the case open and the VRM's were just simply overwhelmed and over heating which is the cause of the black screening/ crashes.

So I am now in the market for a x570 board which from what I been reading would be the best choice for the 5950x. But not any x570 boards but those who have more VRM and good heatsinks as well. 

Just want to thank you all for helping me solve my issue on the B550 DS3h AC board and hope this helps others as well who are having the same issue. 

0 Likes

I use a ASUS X570 Prime-PRO with this CPU and Corsair 3600CL18 2x16GB memory. I do OC and it is very stable with both Windows 11 and 10. Other boards like the Gigabyte B550 are just to bad equipped for this 16 core. A 3900X is already a limit for this board and not stable with PBO.

Here are a couple of links MSI and ASUS.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboards/Products#?tag=MEG-Series

https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/motherboards/all-series/filter?Category=AMD&SubSpec=...

Several of the members like the ASROCK boards and have had no complaints.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp#AM4

Check them out and decide which best suits your needs.  I prefer the MSI and have my 3900X running on a MEG X570 ACE.  ASUS has the DARK HERO which should meet your needs.

mmh not convinced by this "solution" and explanation as there has to be bios setting that can limit pbo to motherboard limitations (PBO LIMITS set to MOTHERBOARD on my mb, that sets  PPT TDC EDC according to mb ...etc) and so , should not crash .. hoping changing your mb will solve your problem

0 Likes

Limiting Powerdraw might help, but also set the llc at the right value. With a little bad luck the VRMs are to slow in reacting on power demands, what happens with a higher core count, pulling the voltage below the needed minimal lower limit of what is stable for the CPU and causing a BSOD.

VRMs are more than just power providing, the diagnosis of them and choice of components must match the demands of the CPU. 

Unfortunately  the solution is what it honestly comes down too after many trial and errors.

And yes you can set motherboard limits which I have tried but the cpu is just built to push its frequency regardless which 100% will result is a BSOD

You can turn off turbo boosting which pushes cpu over its set limits and will have a hard limit of 3400 and will not go over that and PC will be stable. But you are sacrificing the CPU's power/ potential which you are just better off getting a 5600  then. 

I came to my conclusion/solution when someone mentioned VRM's and after many tests and BSOD's, the VRM's were extremely hot if not almost sizzling. I know for a fact that should not be happening.

So in conclusion yes the 5950x can run on the B550 DS3h AC board at a hard stock limit. Anything past that your VRM's will start cooking 

Good day!

Your post about VRM temperatures got me thinking and I've done some tests over the past couple of days. As a result, I got interesting results, and if I say that I'm discouraged, then it's nothing to say. And as a result, I have a question for AMD representatives, what temperatures is the x570 chipset designed for, what are its operating and maximum allowable temperatures? At chipset temperatures up to 65-67 degrees, more or less stable operation of the system is observed, but at temperatures above 68 degrees, interesting things begin, either ssd, or sata, or usb ports can fall off for a short time. Moreover, there is no pattern, only ssd can fall off several times, and in another case at the same temperatures only sata ports fall off, while ssd continues to work. All of the above can still be tied to the chipset (either north or south bridge). But then the most interesting thing begins, at chipset temperatures of 70-71 degrees, screen flickers are observed and bsod appears with the notorious black screen and error 124 in memory dumps. At chipset temperatures of 75-77 degrees instant "black screen" and automatic reboot of the PC without creating any memory dumps. In both the latter cases, we see a cache hierarchy error in the Windows event log, which is basically predictable in such cases. Temperatures up to 80 degrees are not so great, especially considering that the chipset is covered by video cards, which, in turn, can heat up to temperatures of 80-85 degrees or more. Tests were made on the motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus
master rev. 1.0, 3950x processor and sapphire 6900xt nitro+ graphics card. I would like to repeat the question to AMD representatives once again, is this the way it should be or is it a technical flaw?

0 Likes

Interesting case, but I never have seen such temperatures in my system. But I have a very good airflow. I still am wondered about the choice from many manufacturers about the position of the chipset on the motherboard. Like ASUS places the fan and chipset under the GPU. In my case with a 6900XT it is not that wise in my opinion. But due to the good airflow it is not as bad as it looks, although I noticed the ASUS sticker melted off the chipset cover, what is not exactly the best signal. 

But indeed, Next to VRM temperatures, the chipset temperature can be a pain in the … 

0 Likes

I usually don’t have such temperatures either, the usual temperature of the chipset is 58-60 degrees, the temperature of the VRM circuits is about 53-55 degrees and this is in the most difficult tasks.
But for the production of tests, I turned off the case fans, simultaneously loading the system more and more, and got such interesting results.

0 Likes

hi, i have the same problem on 5600x...

these chipsets (B550) for some reason do not withstand when the PCIe lines are overloaded...
you don’t seem to have an overload, but back to back, my PC turned off mainly when there was 2 m.2 SSD and a video card
there were bsodes, and a bunch of errors, including kernel 41
as a result, the motherboard turned off altogether and did not turn on again for a whole month !!!
I already went to the store spent a lot of money on buying a second motherboard
and I was surprised that these errors are there
in toga i pulled out one m.2 ssd and switched it to pci 3.0

now there are fewer errors
I partly agree that the problem is in voltage and vrm
but I see that these processors are completely incompatible with these chipsets and crooked drivers
ps today I started blaming AGESA
I think that's the issue
Tomorrow I'll try to put the old bios!
and if it doesn't work, disable ftpm
abitaev1992@gmail.com

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

Face it, you have a high performance CPU and you throttle it with a sub par chipset, (B550).  What do you expect to happen in this Top Fuel Nitro drag race.

Kay32
Adept II

I am looking at a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master anyone have experience with this board by any chance?

Looking at the specs, I don't see why you should have any problems. 

Excellent choice.

0 Likes
bobpi
Adept III

ASrock X570 boards really look good. I used to be strictly GigaByte, but they are not offering the best MB solutions now. My next AM4 build will probably be with an ASrock X570 Tachi Razor.

0 Likes

I managed to find a refurbished Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master on newegg for 299 so I purchased it. Says it should be arriving this week.

0 Likes
Kay32
Adept II

Well, after receiving my x570 aorus master I now have 0 issues.

I updated bios to most recent update with bios settings on default except I turned on virtualization and have not BSOD once. So pretty much it was the motherboard that just couldn't handle the cpu

0 Likes