cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Sp0tted0wl
Journeyman III

5950x Passes Stress Tests / Random Spikes to 90?!

Riddle me this Batman...  My 5950x idles at 43c, Prime95 at 72, GPU benchmarks in the 70s, general gaming 70s, but at odd times it spikes to 90c for very brief moments.  Oddly, one way I can repeat it is by starting Minecraft of all things.  As the game starts is spikes to 90c then settles down to 64c while playing.  BF4 does not spike and runs at 71c.

I have reseated the cooler, reapplied my Artic Silver 5, and no change.  I know my cooler is not the best but I wouldn't think it would allow for random spikes.

I have been reading posts but they all seem to sustain high temps.  My system does not  do that.  Just an occasional spike.  The longest I have seen 85+ sustained is about 5 seconds.

Specs:

- AMD 5950x at stock settings
- EVGA 3090 RTX FTW3 Ultra (not OC'd)
- Gigabyte x570 I Aorus pro wifi (min-itx, current bios)
- NZXT K.raken M22 (120mm radiator, single fan)
- G-Skill Ripjaws V 3600 32bgx2 Ram (XMP)
- Samsung 980 pro PCIe 4 M.2 2tb
- Cooler Master NR200 case (sides off)
- Cooler Master v850 SFX Gold
- All fans Noctua, 1 on radiator, 1 exhaust on rear, 1 exhaust on top

Also note, my previous i7 8086k 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid system ran fine in the same case.  Thoughts?

Thanks ahead of time.

0 Likes
1 Solution

If you notice Ryzen Master does not expose that temperature as it can be a bit misleading and not reflective of the true average temperature.

It's not useful to compare CPUs as Ryzen is completely different to Intel in many ways and this is one example of that.

You can either safely ignore it, like I do. Or you can limit the temp to a value you would prefer to see in the BIOS. Although this is unnecessary as it will not in anyway damage your processor, but you will then not see such a brief spike in the CCD1 temperature. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

It's normal you can ignore it. My 5950X behaves similarly when i run 3DMark for a split second. 

What are you using to monitor temps? I see it for a fraction of a second on HWINFO64 one the first CPU CCD1 when running 3DMark.

If you look at the CPU Die Average temp though in HWINFO64 or Ryzen Master, it is always much lower for me. 

If you are concerned you can set a max temp under the PBO section of the BIOS and set the Max Temp option to 85c or such and that should stop the brief spike to 90c.

Hi AmdMatt,

I started noticing the issue with CoreTemp, then loaded HWINFO64, and confirmed it with Ryzen Master.  I did play around with the Bios based on what I read and can limit it but was hoping for it to manage itself with default settings.  Not use to such high temps.  Been a Blue Team fanboy for the last few years and have not seen spikes like this.  Guess it just takes a little time to get use to.

I just tested opening Minecraft again on HWINFO64.  CPU Die (average) gives me Min: 42.5c  Max: 87.8c  Avg: 59.0c

Thanks again.

0 Likes

If you notice Ryzen Master does not expose that temperature as it can be a bit misleading and not reflective of the true average temperature.

It's not useful to compare CPUs as Ryzen is completely different to Intel in many ways and this is one example of that.

You can either safely ignore it, like I do. Or you can limit the temp to a value you would prefer to see in the BIOS. Although this is unnecessary as it will not in anyway damage your processor, but you will then not see such a brief spike in the CCD1 temperature.