Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

phtm
Journeyman III

5950x high voltage peaks in stock mode

Hello guys.

Sorry if my post sounds to you maybe a bit obvious - I just got my AMD 5950x workstation about week ago.

I am experiencing some high peaks of voltage usage in stock mode. In the idle processor shows sometime 1,45 voltage that changes quickly to 1,3 or 1.03. Core speed jumps from 3.500 to 4.500 Mhz in Cpu-Z

For games its is mostly "constant" 1,36 to 1,47 - depends what game. 

I am having my workstation for 3d work and in multicore it keeps around stable 1.1.

Before, I have been looking through ryzen master, I did a test with auto OC and some manual attempt - but I switched to default mode after 15 minutes of testing.  It was a moment that I started thinking about overall performance to understand how things work.

Is that high voltage usage and boosting performance something normal?  I am really new to this stuff.

For my Asus Tuf X570 G PLUS I have an auto setting for voltage that shows in Bios 1,4 value. Other options are normal or auto and I didn't change anything.

I would be really grateful if you could let me know is there anything I should do, or this kind of behaviour is normal to that processor. 

Many thanks!

0 Likes
3 Replies

That's normal behavior, the boost voltages are insanely high because they have to work across every chip binned at that level, but they are safe per AMD. As long as it's below 1.5v for extended periods of time, then the only thing you have to worry about is heat.

Many thanks for your reply!

Yeah I am looking at my temperatures and those seems to be ok in around 80 in heavy load. And I am not having liquid cooling system for now. 

My only worries were voltage and core speed jumps  and some work that processor gets when it stays in the idle mode. But what you explained it seems to be normal. 

Thanks again and have a great day

0 Likes

Can you share your source for 1.5v?

I find it disconcerting that the specifications page doesn't list recommended and max voltages.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5950x

This is documentation I've come to expect as standard after using Intel CPUs.

I can see many others have concerns about voltage levels, and for good reason. The 5xxx series processor run much hotter than what people are accustomed too. I was running a 6700k before switching to a 5950x, and if I left the mobo at "auto" it would deliver WAY more voltage then needed - which translated to temps that were approximately 20 degrees higher than they needed to be with no benefit.

0 Likes