cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

5950x crashing, restarting, and getting BSOD - Help needed

I've been having a lot of issues trying to get my new system running stable. BIOS, drivers, and OS are all up to date. All hardware is brand new. RAM and MB are in both manufacturer's QVL/Compatibility lists. I have previous experience with Intel builds and never got any problems. This is my first experience with AMD, though. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate any help.

Specs:
- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
- Asus B550-F Strix Gaming (Wi-Fi)
- G.Skill Trident Z Royal Series (2 x 32 GB) F4-3600C18D-64GTRS
- M.2 WD Black SN750 500 GB
- EVGA Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti XC
- MSI MAG Series CORELIQUID 240R
- Seasonic 750W Focus GX 80 Plus Gold
- Windows 10 Pro

Short-Version:
- PC crashes and restarts when playing games. I'm also getting WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

Details:
- BIOS updated. Default/auto settings.
- Got through Windows 10 installation without problems.
- Within the first 30 minutes of use, I got two BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR code.
- Changed RAM settings to D.O.C.P. and it got better for a while until I started playing.
- Games crash happens after 5, 10, or 40 minutes. It's pretty random. I even got a couple of crashes in a game's menu. The screen goes all black and the PC restarts without any error code. Sometimes it shows a few glitchy saturated color spots before restarting.
- After the first games crashes and restarts, it began a BSOD loop. This meaning I was getting BSOD seconds after the desktop appeared on the screen.
- Turned off the PC for a while. Tried disabling Precision Boost Overdrive and that seemed to help. Now I can install software, browse the web, but games are still crashing.
- On day two, I re-updated BIOS firmware -just in case- and started over. I tried default settings at first, same results. PC is still crashing randomly but mostly on games. Tweaked RAM settings (Auto, DOCP, Manual), enabled/disabled PBO with no major difference. It runs "okay" with regular/office stuff but still crashes with games.
- After that, I applied an Auto Overclock setting from Ryzen Master software and now I'll see how it performs.

UPDATE #1:
Changing to the Auto Overclock setting in Ryzen Master helped with stability for a few hours but now I'm getting constant crashes again. I checked the BSOD files with WhoCrashed and found this:

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5E40)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFC48C08B6A028, 0xBC800800, 0x60C0859)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

This was probably caused by the following module: pshed.dll (PSHED!PshedBugCheckSystem+0x10)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFA1033A565028, 0xFC800800, 0x60C0859)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I also include some BSOD dump files and screenshots of temps and voltage:

FILES:

Minidumps
MEMORY.DMP

SCREENSHOTS:

CPU temp during Cinebench R23 (Auto OC setting)
CPU voltage during Cinebench R23 (Auto OC Setting)
CPU voltage with just CPUID and Opera browser running (Auto OC Setting)

0 Likes
9 Replies

Suggest you try asking for optimal (non OC) bios settings either on asus forum or an overclockers forum 5950x owners threads (overclockers.uk, overclock.net.). 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Thank you, I'll do that.

0 Likes

UPDATE #1:
Changing to the Auto Overclock setting in Ryzen Master helped with stability for a few hours but now I'm getting constant crashes again. I checked the BSOD files with WhoCrashed and found this:

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5E40)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFC48C08B6A028, 0xBC800800, 0x60C0859)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

This was probably caused by the following module: pshed.dll (PSHED!PshedBugCheckSystem+0x10)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFA1033A565028, 0xFC800800, 0x60C0859)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I also include some BSOD dump files and screenshots of temps and voltage:

FILES:

Minidumps
MEMORY.DMP

SCREENSHOTS:

CPU temp during Cinebench R23 (Auto OC setting)
CPU voltage during Cinebench R23 (Auto OC Setting)
CPU voltage with just CPUID and Opera browser running (Auto OC Setting)

0 Likes
EFermi
Miniboss

Reset BIOS settings to default, do not enable DOCP/XMP. Try it out like that. If it fails even like that, a hardware problem is likely to exist. 

0 Likes
oark
Adept III

Set PBO to advance then disable limits then set Carve to Positive 10 on all cores.

0 Likes

Thank you for your suggestions guys. I've been troubleshooting for the last couple of days, so here's an update.

UPDATE #2:
- I deleted/formatted everything and started from scratch.
- Clean Windows install, all drivers installed and updated. Got rid of Ryzen Master, Asus Armoury Crate and all the unnecessary stuff.
- Tried a different PSU. Disconnected/disabled RGB. Still crashing.
- Enabled/Disabled XMP (DOCP), tried 2666MHz, 3200Mhz, 3600MHz, same results.
- Looked into the dump files and I'm still getting: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5E40) WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.
- After hours of troubleshooting I finally disabled Core Performance Boost and that seemed to help as a temporary solution. I was able to run a couple of games for a few hours without crashing. I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is. I'm not planning on doing any extreme OC but I would like to use my 5950X without reducing its potential or performance.
- Today I'll tweak PBO and RAM voltages, also I'll run Prime95 and see how it performs.

0 Likes

I was able to use docp when i increased dram voltage to 1.41v. Now it seems stable. 

Also my first and last amd build.

0 Likes

@Jumu Have you tried disabling Precision Boost Overdrive or Core Performance Boost? Disabling the last worked for me but I'm aware this is not a permanent neither acceptable solution to this issue. I'll give it a try to increasing dram voltage.

0 Likes

"Have you tried disabling Precision Boost Overdrive or Core Performance Boost? Disabling the last worked for me but I'm aware this is not a permanent neither acceptable solution to this issue. I'll give it a try to increasing dram voltage."

PBO or any amd overclocking feature didnt work, crashing increased a lot. 

CPB is working with increased dram voltage normally.

Without increased voltage, system did crash while gaming, benchmarks and stress tests worked just fine. It might be something to do with low quality memory controller or bios is still crap.

Tested system leaving msfs2020 flying on autopilot for 5  hours.

Userbenchmark.com rates my cpu as 105% so it is doing really good right now.

5600x, Asus Tuf b550-plus, Corsair veng LPX 16gb.

Hope you get it sorted! 

0 Likes