Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Adelphos
Adept I

5950x - Constant High Temperature 80C to 90C - Gaming

Hello AMD community,

I am currently facing some temperature challenges on my new build.

When my processor is under load (gaming for instance), the CPU temperatures are oscilating between 80C and 90C.The fan curves for my AIO are set to PWM and to go 100% when temperatures go above 80C, but that does not seem to be enough to keep the CPU constantly under 80C. While checking the CPU usage in task manager, I oscilates between 15% to 20%. I have also tried to replace the thermal paste by removing the pre-applied one and replacing it with the Noctua NT-H2, but it did not improve my situation. Windows, BIOS and drivers are all updated. 

These are my current specs if it helps:

BIOS 7C35vA86
 AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
 Fractal Design Celsius S36
 MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
 G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
 Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
 Seagate FireCuda 520 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
 Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
 Fractal Design Define 7 Light ATX Mid Tower Case
 Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold
 (5x) 120 mm PWM Fan
 (1x) 140 mm PWM Fan
 AIO Celsius S36 - Fractal Design

I was wondering if you could assist me in any way, shape or form as I am running out of ideas on how to fix this.

Thank you for your help and time.
Adel
0 Likes
12 Replies
xlox
Forerunner

my first thinking is  about the  AIO and how it reads temperatures ... maybe try to run AIO at at 100% fans constantly to see what are the temperature when it is working @ 100% while gaming

0 Likes
trek
Elite

Coud you start hwinfo, do some gameplay and then take screenshot of hwinfo sensors with all values? You can make hwinfo sensors screen to show more columns with all values and take screenshot of that. It would shou max values of temperatures, fan speeds, etc.

0 Likes

trek - I've uploaded the screenshots of all sensors on Imgur

https://imgur.com/a/UnPWTLk

xlox - The AIO fans start to ramp up the moment I launch a game. Then, the moment I load a match, they reach 100% as the CPU crosses 80C, which is most of the time. Sometimes temperatures drop below 80%, but that doesn't last long. The normal fans are constantly at 50%, then 100% at 85C when things get bad. My normal fans I mean the case fans, and not the AIO fans.

0 Likes

From values you have shown it looks like you have defective AIO or maybe you shout reseat CPU cooler again and make sure you have good coldplate pressure and good thermal paste application.

You have everything nice and cool, only CPU is overheated, CPU current and power is nominal, everything look nice and fine so only explanation is there is something wrong with CPU cooler.

I don't see anything weird except maybe you could have 10° less with your AIO, that's what I get with a 2x240mm fans  radiator...

still , try to fix it at 100% and see max temps than ... are the AIO fans connected to motherboard or are temps read by waterblock sensor maybe and fans connected to AIO directly ?

trek - I will give it another try with the thermal paste. Hopefully by reapplying it I can see some improvement. 

xlox - the AIO I use has 3x 120 mm fans in the radiator. This AIO has its own hub, so the 3 fans are connected to the fan hub, then another plug into the motherboard. The AIO does have an auto function, but I use the PWM mode as the auto mode is too conservative. I will give it a go with the AIO fans at 100%, still, not sure what will change since while gaming the temps vary between 80C and 90C while the AIO fans are already at 100%.

0 Likes

Btw you have golden CPU, your are boosting over 5GHz with low voltages yet you have bad CPU cooling performance, worse than in my case with 15 year old Noctua cooler. Can you somehow check your AIO, do you hear excessive bubbling in pump etc?

0 Likes

saying to try fans at 100% is not the solution it's just to see if when they are always at 100% if the temps getting still so high or not ... if not it's just a problem of fan curve , and if yes it's a maybe a problem of AIO like trek said

0 Likes

understood - I'll try to reapply the thermal paste and make sure the pump is correctly placed on the CPU. Unfortunately my AIO came with that standard AM4 bracket with 2 screws. PErhaps the bracket with 4 screws would improve things. I will keep you all posted. Thank you for your help so far.

20% CPU usage in task manager on a 5950X means 6 logical cores are 100% utilized, running full blast. It can get a bit deceptive with so many cores-- a mere THREE percent means a full logical core at 100%. So basically you have stuff running in the background and you need to track that down.

I much prefer how Linux measures CPU usage over Windows. In Linux that would look like 600% CPU utilization and it would be obvious what's going on.

0 Likes

JoltCola - I was watching the task manager while playing. The game was taking at least 3/4 of that, with CPU usage oscilating up/down. Other than one, apart from the othe normal apps in the backgroung, only Task Manager, Steam and HWMonitor were opened. 

0 Likes

Ahhh OK. I missed that this was under load, not idle. If you have PBO active those temps are basically normal. PBO unlocks all power limits so it gulps as much juice as possible until hitting thermal constraints (cap is 90C by default).

If you're running at stock settings on the other hand, you definitely have a cooling issue of some kind.

0 Likes