cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Psynchro
Journeyman III

Re: 5950x Cache Hierarchy Error

I've tried the optimized defaults and it seems stable.
Also tried simply applying DOCP (3600) and FLCK 1800 with good stability.
Also tried enabling PBO with good stability.

I've since updated the bios to 2702 (released Nov.24) and it's running stable so far even with PBO enabled.
Bios 2702 has changed in that if you enable PBO, Max CPU Boost Clock Override is greyed-out.  I have a hunch that the 200Mhz value I set here previously was causing me grief, along with the Ryzen Balanced Power Option in Windows (just a guess).

I did have a bit of a scare though, as during the bios update (from BIOS UEFI via USB), it appeared to be a success, the system rebooted itself and went through the final update process after post.  At the end of the process where I'd expect another restart, the system powered off.  I couldn't power it on again until I turned off/on the PSU (like the problem I mentioned in my first post).  The system then started up and all was well.

I'll keep the system running and see how it goes. HOPEFULLY this new bios has fixed it. 

Also looking forward to Precision Boost 2 becoming available.

Hot5950x
Adept I

Had this too. 

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 2

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Two restarts so far, on a brand new build from the ground up. Random.

Didn't happen during a large Aida system stress test, or even CPU-specific. Just when I was downloading some games via a PC client, and running Windows Defender scans.

bluelu
Adept I

Hi,

I tried quiet a lot. Disabling boost, disabling XMP, loading bios defaults, underclocking Ram, etc..

I did remove and readded the CPU and reduced my ram timings (underclocking) from the advertised 16-19-19-39 to 18-20-20-40, and I haven't experienced any crash now in 2 days.

Seems to be a ram/board/cpu incompability.

swaccelerated
Challenger

Be sure to disable write-caching on hard drives until the power states in bios get updated.  Small annoyances meh w/e.

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Try DRAM Calc and be sure to run Memtest 64 for a few hours or until an error. Aida64 or CPUZ will give you all the sub JDEC's of you RAM. Somethings never change with AMD Ryzen and that RAM compatibility. i have a 3600x, same issues until I dropped my IF to 1800 from 1866 and reduced my RAM speed to 3600 from 3733. They claim these 5000's can do 2000 on the IF, no way, 1900 is a tough one. Most I read about are stuck at 1800-1866.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
ctnfoster
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issues, I've been able to mitigate it to some degree, but it's not completely gone.

- 5950x
- Gigabyte X570 Master
- PNY 3090 (non-OC edition) 

These are the settings I've gotten to "work"

• Downgraded to the F30 Bios, the F31l BIOS was almost entirely unusable
  • Set the CPU Clock Ratio to 36.00 (unsure if this had any real impact)
  • Set the CPU VCore to Normal, considering setting it to a manual voltage, but I'm worried 
  • XMP to 3600 enabled on RAM, doesn't seem to have much impact either way

Default settings are really unstable, instant unplanned reboot in under 30 minutes typically.  With the settings above, I was able to maintain a synthetic load for over an hour with no issues. 

As of now, the only time I'm experiencing instant unplanned reboots are with low/no load. Like downloading files (not even steam files, as they are compressed & put a load on the CPU). 

If these changes are actually having an impact, I'm hoping a future BIOS update will fix the issues. The target market for 5950 & 3090 is content creators, and a huge part of their workflow is at low/no load. If they lose enough work in progress, you'll have an army of angry creative types, and no marketing department wants to deal with that. 

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Temps ok? Running at XMP 3600 is fine. CPU clock ratio should work in Auto, kill the PBO and any overvoltage. Try manually setting the IF to 1800 vs. Auto. Auto IF can make things wonky. Best set at half the full RAM clock, no higher than 1800. Still unstable, drop IF to 1600 but you'll lose some performance that you might not notice. Memtest 64 should run for hours without an error, overnight if possible. Lastly if you have 4 RAM slots and 2 sticks they need to go in A2/B2 or the second and fourth slot from the CPU.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
NoSinder
Journeyman III

I was getting the same errors on mine. Tried many different BIOS settings and still kept getting reboots with the same Cache Heirarchy Error code. Finally got it stable by turning on the Asus TPU II OC setting that keeps my CPU at 4.1ghz speed. It actually runs cooler now and doesn't have crazy temp jumps like before. Haven't had one reboot in the last week. 

MOBO: Asus B550 F gaming
CPU: 5950x 
GPU: PNY 3090

PSU: 1000 W Corsair

joao_ladeira
Journeyman III

I'm also getting the same issue, have brand new system with default settings and this happens randomly, sometimes after 72 hours, sometimes after3 hours...

Did you find any solution?

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 14

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor, 3401 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)

BaseBoard Product PRIME X570-PRO

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

0 Likes
deepcuts
Adept II

If you ruled out RAM, just RMA the CPU and stop wasting your time. Messing with voltages and overclocking the darn thing is not a solution.
The CPU is busted from factory.
Visit https://www.overclock.net/threads/replaced-3950x-with-5950x-whea-and-reboots.1774627/ to see how many fixed their problems with a new CPU.