Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jncfessel
Journeyman III

5900x wont run with 3600mhz memory

Spec's:

Processor: 5900x

MB: Gigabyte Auros x570 elite v1.x formally ASUS x570 Tuf Gaming Plus. Swapped to try and solve RAM issue.

RAM: G. Skill Ripjaw 3600mhz  4 sticks 64gb total

PSU: 1100 watts (It's 7years old)

GPU: ASRock Taichi 6800xt

I have set the RAM speed to 3200 which has made it stable. Anything higher and depending on what I do or don't do, the system or program crashes (mainly games). If I leave the CPU stock programs crash and the RAM gets "HOT". If I remove 2 sticks of RAM It works fine. If I use precision boost overdrive, either the program or system locks up. If I overclock the CPU to were I know it is stable at the 3200mhz RAM speed and up it to 3600 using RYZEN Master, I get instant crash. All this is with DOCP enabled. I feel like I am losing performance. I have tried increasing the voltage manually to 1.35 on the RAM which is where it should be and it instantly crashes. Any thought's?

I should also mention that this has been going on for over a year. I upgraded my CPU from a 3700x and installed 2 more sticks of RAM. Which is when the problems started.

5 Replies

You need to go to Gigabyte Support and download their QVL List for Vermeer Processors. It is possible, depending your RAM Part Number it might not support 3600Mhz speed using 64GB of Ram.

Here are all 3600Mhz G-Skill RAM Numbers that have been tested by Gigabyte to be compatible with your motherboard. This is taken from Gigabyte Motherboard QVL list:

Screenshot 2022-06-11 234746.png

Your Motherboard does indicate that it supports 3600Mhz (OC) using XMP profiles. You mentioned you installed an addition  32GB of RAM Sticks. You didn't upgrade by purchasing an entire 64GB RAM Set. It is possible the 2 RAM sticks you install additionally is not compatible with the other 2 original RAM sticks.

When upgraded RAM it is best to purchase an entire RAM Kit for the amount of RAM you want installed. That will take care of any incompatibilities between RAM sticks.

But just to rule out a bad RAM stick since you mentioned it was getting very hot is to run MEMTEST86 or Windows Memory Test and see if all 4 RAM stick passes the tests.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I bought 2 Corsair LPX kits and had issues right away, then I returned them for a 4 DIMM kit and haven't had issues since. Some kits just don't mix.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Personally, I would just keep the RAM settings at 3200.  You should also look into a BIOS update if one is available.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
NaquinSonarikh
Journeyman III

I'm facing the same issue like this, i have tried to set my ramkit on 3600Mhz through DOCP Standard, but pc crashes, restarting, But once i set it for 3400Mhz it runs smoothly, Memory kit is Tridant Z Royal 3600Mhz (8GB*4), 5900x processor, ROG Crosshair Dark Hero VIII..

disable DOCP and just manually set the RAM Speed to 3600Mhz and FCLK to 1800Mhz in BIOS and see if the same thing occurs.

I have a newer Asus Motherboard X570 and in BIOS it is very easy to set the above two settings (Pull down menu of speeds).

I have similar RAM as you do Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz.

Didn't BIOS automatically reset your RAM Speed after it crashed using 3600Mhz?

Also I would run MEMTEST86 or Windows Memory Test to eliminate defective RAM first.

0 Likes