cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Deltamav
Adept I

5900x throttling to 500mhz - HELP!

Hello, I recently built a computer (windows 11) with a custom water loop and the following relevant hardware (all drivers/BIOS updated):

AMD 5900x

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

GSkill Trident Z Neo 4x8gb DDR4-PC3600 14-15-15-35 1.45v (Samsung B-Die)

WD Black 1tb nvme

MSI RTX 3080 Suprim X 10G

My issue is that, at random points while doing everyday computing and gaming, my processor will randomly throttle down to 500mhz (around 532mhz, to be exact). I have been puzzled by this issue for several days. I have noticed in Ryzen Master advanced mode that when certain settings become red and maxed out (I believe it's PPT, CPU Power, SOC Power, TDC, and EDC), the processor's peak speed will drop to 500mhz. I am not sure if there is a connection there, but I figured it might be relevant to any possible solution. I have not played with the bios settings except to disable fastboot based on some suggested solutions elsewhere, and I recently changed my power settings in Windows from Performance (when this throttling was occurring) to Balanced. 

Does anyone have any idea why my processor is throttling? If it's connected to certain power settings getting maxed out as mentioned above, will enabling PBO fix this issue? Temperatures do not seem to be a problem, by the way. The water loop seems to be keeping the processor in the 30-35 degree celsius range. 

0 Likes
12 Replies

Yes if Ryzen Master is showing any Red Icons at the top of the page that means the CPU will be throttling.

Try changing Windows/Ryzen Master Power plans and configure it so the Processor Minimum State is 5% and Maximum Processor State is 100% and see if it makes any difference in Ryzen Master concerning the Red Icons.

Also make sure your Processor is overheating which can also cause throttling. The Maximum Operating Temperature of your processor is 90C. So any time the processor's temperature start reaching or surpassing 90C it will automatically throttle.

0 Likes

I will do the 5%/100% power plan change you suggested. As for temps, the processor is idling between 40 and 50C when it throttles, so I don't think that's the problem. 

The other interesting fact is this - this afternoon, I switched to PBO on the BIOS just to see how it would affect things while I was working. Of course, since it changed the maximum power ceilings, all the gauges in Ryzen Master went green except for the SOC Power gauge, which was red. I went back into BIOS and changed the RAM speed from DOCP to Auto, and then disabled PBO. Everything was fine, all gauges in Ryzen Master were green, so then I went back into the BIOS again and enabled DOCP for the RAM and enabled PBO. For hours thereafter, all the gauges in Ryzen Master were green. Then, when I finished working, I went back into Ryzen Master to check and PPT, CPU Power, SOC Power, TDC (CPU), and EDC (CPU) were all red and either maxed out or nearly maxed out.

What is the deal here? Do I have a bum motherboard?

0 Likes

Good question.

I would disable DOCP and manually configure the RAM speed and FCLK and see if it goes back to normal again.

I found out that Asus DOCP isn't very reliable at times. I also have a Asus motherboard and I manually inputted my RAM speed from SPD to 3600Mhz and then inputted FCLK to 1800Mhz.

Unless I missed it, In my original Motherboard BIOS version it had a DOCP setting. But after I updated to one of the latest BIOS version I noticed that DOCP was missing.

When I enabled DOCP my computer, I started having all types of Ram symptoms until I disabled DOCP and manually inputted the native RAM speed.

I also have PBO and all the other processor settings in BIOS on default. PBO is on Auto. My Ryzen Master shows all green all the time.

I would put your BIOS back to factory default either through BIOS itself or doing a CMOS CLEAR. Then check to see if the Ryzen Master is showing any Red icons. If everything is green, then manually overclock your RAM to its native speed. then check RM again.

If it still is green then go ahead and configure more BIOS Settings until you see RM indicate Red icons again.

This is just to eliminate BIOS from causing RM from showing the Red Icons and throttling your processor.

0 Likes

So I spent the weekend with the RAM on "Auto" in the BIOS instead of DOCP. Stability was much better, however, there are still occasional instances when the gauges in Ryzen Master get red and the processor speed throttles down to 500mhz. Any ideas?

0 Likes

Is there any chance that your Motherboard VRMs are throttling or anything like that?
0 Likes

I'm not sure. How would I check that? All I know is that all the dials in Ryzen Master tend to max out and get red, and that's when the speed throttles. 

0 Likes

In AIDA64, the VRM temp is like 39C at idle, so I don't think it's that. 

H3RA0
Journeyman III

Hello,

i got the same problem.

Asus Dark Hero VIII motherboard and Ryzen 5900x.

Screenshots of the values I get:

Temps and clocks

Voltages

Only total shutdown switches back to normal clocks for maybe 30 mins. After that it just randomly switches back to 500. Really wierd.

0 Likes

FFS. How many of these threads are there? I'm pulling my hair out about this issue.

Hi, I found a solution. It was due to the RAM.

I dont know why, but when i overclocked my ram to 3600 the SoC voltage was too low.

I went to bios and set the SoC voltage to 1.4V.

And now it works. Its some kind of CPU memory controller voltage. The auto overclock of XMP sets it to 1.25V and thats to low.

try it, maybe it solves your problem too. My PC is running since 2 Weeks without any problem, even overclocked.

good luck

0 Likes
edan0
Journeyman III

I faced the same problem and was able to resolve it by slowing the FCLK on my motherboard to 1600MHz while still maintaining my memory speed at 3600MHz.

0 Likes