cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

5900x temps while gaming

I have been doing a lot of thermal testing since I got my 5900X.

Ill go ahead and get my specs out of the way.

CPU: 5900X at stock settings. (PBO disabled)

CPU Cooler: NH-U14S (With the Noctua thermal compound that was supplied with the cooler.)

RAM: 32 GB (2x16GB) TridentZ Neo 3600 MHz

Motherboard: ROG Crosshair VIII Hero

Room temp: 70F/21C

Temps were recorded using Ryzen maser for the overall average temperature, and HWiNFO64 to get the readings from each CCX.

I have noticed that while playing some games, the temp for CCD 1 will spike up into the mid to upper 80s.

personally, I have only had MW2019/ CPD Warzone do this, but That's because I don't have any of the other games I have heard people reporting these temp spikes in. The other games were BFV and Red dead 2. I don't have these temp spikes in Halo MCC. From what I can figure out, The games that seem to be having these high temp spikes all have one thing in common. AVX workloads.

Im not 100% certain that this is the actual cause, and I'm also not certain that these temp spikes are entirely normal.

I have had a couple people tell me that the highest temp they get for CCD 1 in COD warzone is in the mid to low 70s.

What is everyone else seeing, and can I get an official answer from AMD?

17 Replies
ItsAlex
Journeyman III

Same here while gaming I have high temp, described in the following image:

Capture.PNG

I have a Kraken Z63 as watercooling, I'm asking if this is normal ?

0 Likes

Well it looks fine, you had 73C max temp. But I think there is more data needed for a proper evaluation.

You can try to answer the following questions:

- How long have you been gaming for? a good interval would be an hour or 2
- did you test it at 100% load? in your tests you had 55% max load. A good test would be a sustained 100% load for at least 10-20 mins.

0 Likes

I have run some test with Cinebench to test 100% load, this is my result with a room a little more cooler:

- Multi thread:

Multi thread.PNG

Single thread:

SingleThread.PNG

Is it okay ? Is it normal that the 5900x is always aroud 64° ?

Another problem is that my Kraken Z63 is always at 100% even when IDLE. Do you think replacing it by a Be quiet dark rock pro 4 will be good for a better ratio temp/noise ? Without harming to the CPU ?

0 Likes

66C isn't normal.

It's pretty much stone cold as Ryzen CPU's go.

@fyrel  My config is:

- Case NZXT H510
- Watercooling NZXT Kraken Z63
- MSI B550 Tomahawk Motherboard 
- Ryzen 5900x CPU

What can I do to find the problem then ?

0 Likes

@ItsAlex The forum seems to have mixed up my replies a little.

At 66C your cooling is performing great.

The CPU has a max temperature of 90C.

I'm not sure of the exact target temperature of that CPU but most of the Ryzen chips tend to run with a targeted temperature of around 70-75C

With regards to your earlier post of the Kraken running at 100% even when idle are you referring to the fan speed or the pump?

The pump should always run 100%.

You should be able to adjust the fan curve depending on temperatures.

@fyrel Sorry for the late answer, I'm refering to my fan speed. I wonder if I wouldn't replace my Kraken with a Noctua DH15S.

0 Likes

You shouldn't need to replace it.

Check you have the cables connected the correct way round.

Pump to the AIO pump header and the fans to the CPU fan header.

0 Likes

@fyrel  Yes I have it's just that Kraken Z63 need CAM to work and control fan speed (fan is not controlled by motherboard). Two problems:

- Fan noise (Run 100% with default setttings need CAM to override it everytime)
- On Linux CAM does not works, so fan are not working, I need to find a way to cool down my CPU

I think using a Noctua DH-15S or BQ Dark rock pro 4 I will solve theses two issues no ?

0 Likes

Yes a different cooler would solve the issue.

Kinda sucks that the Kraken doesn't allow the motherboard to control it.

0 Likes

BFV kicks my D15's butt (push/pull 140mm).

PBO is limited to factory settings: 142W, 95A, 140A

Case is R5 Define.
Fans all Noctua 140mm set to 800rpm.
intake (3x)
2 front 140mm, 1 bottom 140mm.
Exhaust (3x)
Side gpu 140mm, CPU rear 140mm, CPU top 140mm.

30mins session, 1440p ultra. 91.5C on CCD1 :/

image.png

0 Likes

Your BFV average temps aren't even that high. You wanna see what is high? Here is my 30 minute session:

Hey Namster17,

got almost the exact same measures on my 5900x ( around 90 - 91° running CB R23).

case: nzxth 510
fan: be quiet! dark rock 4
2 exhaust fans

i can reduce the temp for about 5-7° when opening the glass panel, which obviously is not a solution.
did you find anything to resolve the issue?

0 Likes

seems as if it was fixed by updating the bios to the newest version (currently 3.6 on my asrock X570 Pro4). now its 75°c max when running cinebench r23.

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

Those temps may seem a bit high but they aren't at dangerous levels.

Do you have good case airflow?

0 Likes
lmsae33
Journeyman III

They are almost always down stage. Please set all to default do a Clear CMOS and run Cinebench R23. Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) however no longer CB - just inform us the ratingsite. Tell us how a whole lot strength your video card makes use of. I would let others take a look at the brand new BIOS. Thanks and revel in, John.

0 Likes
thomasi7
Adept I

i have fix it by set the fans to run at 100%

0 Likes