cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rocketsurgeon
Journeyman III

5900x & B550 USB Issues

I recently bought a 5900x and a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC to upgrade my old rig with with my RTX 3090.  I was hoping to be able to use this new CPU for improving my stream quality since my old quad core was having issues being able to run multiple programs at once (typically running Facerig when I stream which uses a lot of CPU).

The one thing I noticed that, even when I am not streaming, if the CPU usage become high, that all of the USB 2.0 stop functioning, or keep turning on and off.

I've tried almost everything I can think of since it seems like this issue is pretty widespread doing a google search. I've updated to the latest drivers for the b550 boards, updated my bios to latest version and changed some of the bios settings for pcie from 4.0 to 3.0, disabled c-states, and set the idle state to typical idle. In addition to that, I also went into the windows settings to disable windows from turning off USB for all the slots to conserve power.

I thought I had fixed the issue as it went a whole day without having issues while I streaming, but now it just appears to be on or off issue and either I'll boot up and my PC will work fine all day or it will just randomly decide to turn off whatever devices I have plugged into USB 2.

Is there anyone who knows an actual fix for this or am I better off just returning the chip and buying a functional cpu?

0 Likes
1 Reply
Giri-Piri
Journeyman III

I have the same USB issue on by MSI B450i + 5600x. Random freezing and need to unplug and plug in again. Ball ache!

Plus, when I charge a device off the USB ports, it doesn't charge the device sufficiently... Power delivery to the USB ports seems to be the problem.

I didn't have these problem with my old 2400G with the same mobo etc. except I've got an RX570 GPU instead of iGPU.. I've updated to the latest BIOS version which includes the Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.2. and the problem remains. My PSU is rated well above the power demands so it must be the shiny new 5600x.

0 Likes