cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Izzbi
Journeyman III

5800x3d too high idle temperature

I have a problem, I bought a 5800x3d processor and a Gigabyte x570s Aero G motherboard. The processor temperatures are too high. In idle, they reach 50-60 degrees, after starting the Chrome browser, it even jumps to around 70-75 degrees. In games it does not exceed 90 degrees, which is acceptable, but in idle the cooling noise is unbearable. I'm talking about boost mode here, where the clock constantly jumps from about 3400 MHz to about 4400-4500 MHz. Without the boost mode the temperatures are ok, but the clock is stuck at 3400 MHz. My cooler is Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 with Noctua A12x25 fans. With 5600x on the B550 board, it was about 35 degrees at rest, about 60 degrees in games. Will a better AiO solve the problem? From what I've read online, the ones I have should be sufficient. I tried lubricating the paste in different ways, it did not give much effect. There are also pastes from several manufacturers. Help.

0 Likes
14 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Izzbi, your maximum specified temperature is 90C and will shut down over. Please post SSs of Ryzen Master (RM), no  other, in both Advanced and Basic Mode running CinebenchR23. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Single core cinebenchSingle core cinebenchIn CinebenchIn Cinebench

0 Likes

Thanks, Izzbi. You are definitely overheating. Please check your cooler mounting is aligned and tight. I assume you removed the plastic protector from the cold block and used a good thermal paste. One suggestion is to run the pump and cooler fans straight from 12 Volts (full speed, what I do for all fans in my box-noise does not bother me). Cooler does not say how many Watts it will remove. Do a search for a review on your cooler. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks, Izzbi. It is always possible that you got a bad processor, but I doubt it and have seen very few. You could try a new cooler. Please open an AMD Support request referencing this thread and see what they say. Please let us know what they say. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
Izzbi
Journeyman III

From what I read cooler is up to 200 TDP. I set the pump to 100% and there is no difference.

As I wrote, I tried different configurations and thermal pastes: Kryonout, NZXT, CoolerMaster Mastergel Pro, Gelid GC-Extreme, MicroSi (noname?) and something from SilentiumPC. I think the pressure is good, I don't think it can be better. I've used this cooler before on a 5600x and different motherboard (Asus B550) and it was perfect. I know 5800x3d needs more, but is it possible that I received a defective CPU or motherboard? And how about the voltages? Everything is as it should be on the RM screenshot?

0 Likes

Hi! Did you solve the problem? I have exactly the same situation...

0 Likes
Codov
Adept I

Hi! Did you solve the problem? I have exactly the same situation...

0 Likes

What is your cooling solution, the same? What kind of fans? What about location of the AIO? 

What is your ambient temperature? And case? 

We really need all the details. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

I am facing this problem for the 3rd time after reinstalling Windows. But all the times before I managed to solve the problem with AMR Ryzer Balanced Power Plan.

I have MSI Tomahawk Max B450 chipset

Dark Rock Pro 4 cooling system

I have 2 coolers installed for air inlet, 1 in the back and 2 on top for outlet.

The fan noise is just unbearable. The temperature jumps from 41 degrees to 71 just when I open any app or Google Chrome tab. 

As I posted above, I always solved this problem with Power Plan but now after installing a new Windows I installed the drivers for my chipset and I don't see this kind of power plan. There are only standard power plans there.

Go to power options and edit any of the current ones. Set minimum CPU to something like 5%

That should do it. Then let me know. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

Unfortunately it didn't work. GPU Z shows a temperature of 74-76 degrees.

1.png

0 Likes

Thats the peak or average? 

If you are certain that the power plan is the culprit use DDU for the chipset drivers and reinstall them again. Make sure you tick the power plan during the setup. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

Ryzen 5000 series do not need or use RPP. Use Windows balanced PP. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I think they do but at the same time they may not be the culprit for the issue above. That is why I asked if is it the peak or average. Also, the topic is for "too high idle temperature", hence my suggestion.

As for power plans go, the chipset driver for the new board did brought along the Ryzen Power Plan. After changing from 2700X to 7950X the idle temps and clocks just didn't drop as much as when I set CPU minimum state to something like 5 or 10%

They will hover around base clock, with the change they will drop to around 3ghz and sometimes even lower.

These are core clocks, not effective clocks.

johnnyenglish_0-1693153810607.png

The Englishman
0 Likes