Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

CyberKid
Adept II

5800X3D in X370 MOBO

Hi There!

This is my configuration:
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero X370 ( BIOS 8601 )
Ryzen 1700 @ 3,8 GHz / New CPU 5800X3D (SN - 9K05135U20077 )
64gb (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 @ 3200MHz / Kingston Fury Renegate 3600MHz 2x16GB kit

I bought a new 5800X3D CPU, the "old" one, but I think it can still be used in my desktop machine. I thought I could develop my machine with this both in terms of applications and games at the same time. My problem is that the rams do not want to work only in single mode. As soon as I put the RAM in slots 1-3 or 2-4, the machine does not start. The coolers turn on for a second and stop, the vga cooler works, and the HDD also works. The error code is C5 and 2-minutes later 0d. The latest 8601 bios has been installed. Tried to reset the bios, also tried to remove the battery for 15 minutes, but it is the same... According to Userbenchmark.com, several users are successfully using such configurations:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder?searchTerm=crosshair%20vi%20hero%205800x3d

Yesterday I bought a Kingston Fury Renegate 3600MHz 2x16GB kit, but the problem is the same. I have put my old CPU back and everything works fine! Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Many thanks,
Norbert

0 Likes
33 Replies

Good chance the RAM is not compatible with your 5000 series processor.

Asus QVL List is very out-dated from 2017 so it won't be listing RAM that has been tested for the 5000 series processors and it doesn't mention if the list has been updated.

Here is AMD current QVL RAM List for the 2000 to 5000 series processors: https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory-ryzen-2000-to-5000-series-processor

I inputted just the first CMK32 Part number under Search and only one Corsair RAM part number came up:

Screenshot 2022-11-02 081708.png

went to Corsair Website and the Part Number you inputted it just shows being compatible with Intel Motherboards: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2B3200C16#tab-tech...

Went to Corsairs Memory Finder: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/c/Cor_Products_Memory?type=motherboard&manu...

Under your Asus 300 Series Motherboard it does show several RAM Part Numbers .I used the filter to just show 32GB of RAM with 2 Sticks for the 300 series Motherboards.

None had the Latency start with 15. Most except for 2 Part Numbers the Latency started with a 16. Here is part of the 24 Part numbers. Just the first page:

There was a total of 24 Part Numbers that are compatible. The only 3200 2x16 Vengence LPX was showing only one. All the rest were a different speed or Model.

So AMD RAM List doesn't show your RAM as being listed nor does Corsair Memory Finder. Plus Corsair under it Specs show the Part Number you have as being compatible only with Intel Motherboards.

I would go to Asus Support and download their Ryzen QVL  List and see if by chance your part number is listed or not. Most likely it isn't since your RAM is probably newer than 2017.

I would open a Corsair and Asus Support ticket and ask them if your RAM is compatible with the 5000 series processors.

NOTE: The Asus Digital Error code C5 is related to RAM Memory.

0 Likes
CyberKid
Adept II

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I just bought 2 kits of Corsair CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18, it is coming on Friday.....

Many thanks,

Norbert

I just finish editing my previous reply. I had some wrong information which I corrected.

Please go to Corsair Memory Finder from the link I posted in my previous reply and use the filter to remove all RAM that isn't like the one your just purchased.

Check to see if your RAM is listed or not. For 2x16 32GB RAM there are only 24 RAM Part Numbers that are compatible.

If you got something different than above than input that in Corsair Memory Finder under your Asus Motherboard Model and check to make sure it is listed as being compatible.

NOTE: I would put more emphasis on Corsair's Compatibility list since they have tested those RAM on your 300 series Motherboard.

But AMD does list that part number as being compatible but you need to see if that part number is compatible with your Motherboard or not.

Hopefully it will work with both your Motherboard and Processor correctly.

0 Likes

I can cancel my order if necessary...

According the Userbanchmark the users used the following rams in a same mobo as mine:

G Skill Intl F4-3200C14-8GFX 2x8GB

Patriot Memory 3200 C16 Series 2x16GB

G Skill Intl F4-3200C14-8GTZSK 2x8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x16GB - CMK32GX4M2B3000C15

I do double check now..... Thank you again!

It is so weird! My ram (64gb (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2B3200C16) is in my pc almost 5 years now. It is working fine, no issue at all. I was surprised that it's only for Intel...

I have checked the links you sent and found only 1 G.Skill - F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX - ram which is good in all respects. Very expensive so I looked at all the options. I didn't know it until now, but A-DATA provides "many" options to choose the RAM you need:

https://webapi.adata.com/xpg-compatibility-search

I just ordered the ram below, it is coming tomorrow. 45% cheaper than G.Skill:

ADATA XPG GAMMIX D45 32GB (2x 16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 RAM / AX4U320016G16A-DCBKD

I can hardly wait for tomorrow.....

It is compatible with Ryzen also but possibly what they mean is that it is optimized for Intel processors.

Yes I found that strange also that they mentioned it is only compatible for Intel.

Yes that RAM shows to be compatible with your specific Crosshair VI HERO motherboard.

Your original RAM might be compatible with your old Ryzen 1700 but not be fully compatible with the new AMD processor 5800X3D.

That is why Motherboard Manufacturers have different RAM QVL Lists for different CPU Models.

If the new RAM doesn't fix the issue I suggest you open both a AMD and ASUS Support ticket.

EDIT: ADATA website for your specific RAM Part Number even has a link to AMD RAM List showing as being compatible:

Screenshot 2022-11-03 080841.png

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Same error code '0D'...

I put back the old 1700 cpu. Everything is perfect. I also tested the ADATA rams with the 1700. It works, but only in single mode. I think it's because ADATA is 'SS' and Corsair is 'DS'....Unfortunately, I have no choice but to declare that the CPU is a factory defect... I'm sad, I've wasted days. But at the same time, I was enriched with new information...

Thanks again for your help!

Yes, the original Ryzen memory controllers were pretty bad at running dual rank/dual channel.   I would agree that the memory controller on the 5800X3D is likely defective.

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that. but to rule out incompatible hardware is the first step in determining if a certain hardware is defective or not.

Please post back if AMD replaces your Processor and if it fixed your problems.

Hello again!

I have tried it with a new 5800X3D. The problem is the same... I do not understant it...

Is it possible that mobo is broken? I have used it with my old cpu and 4 rams since I sent back the cpu. It was tested with 3DMark, PCMark, Cinebench, Userbenchmark, Memtest86 and Aida stresstest. Any advice?

0 Likes

I have tried with the 8503 beta bios. Same.....

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hello!

The fact that the older Ryzen processor still works without issue seems to rule out the motherboard.  It is possible that there is simply an issue with the memory controller on the 5800X3D and it may need to be replaced.

Also, there isn't really such a thing as Intel or AMD compatible RAM.  All DDR4 RAM should work at the JEDEC default settings of 2400MHz and CL15.  Certain DDR4 RAM will include an XMP profile that raises the RAM speed, which is often the speed the RAM is sold as.  Given that XMP is an Intel thing, there is no guarantee that an AMD chip can hit the rated speeds or even read the timings correctly. 

So make sure the RAM is set to run at default speeds (2400MHz, CL15, 1.2V) with the old processor.  Try to swap in the new one, and if the issue persists, I would start to suspect the memory controller on the 5800X3D.

0 Likes

Hi!

Thank you for your help! I have tried it.... Read my new post.....

0 Likes
mazi
Adept II

Hi Kid

the C6H is a problematic mobo at times. I knew of another guy that tried and tested each and every Ryzen gen but failed, only 1st gen worked on his C6H no matter what.

The issue on yours is most likely in the quality of the signalling lanes to the memory slots. It looks like when training the memory the mobo gets stuck. Every Zen generation has a reworked memory controller AGESA, that's what makes the difference. The mobo stores some settings that survive bios flahes. You can try to do the following.

1. pulling out the battery does not a full BIOS reset, there are some settings stored on the flash memory. You have to use the CMOS reset button on the backside of the mobo and hope it does it's job.
  2. make sure the BIOS flash worked completely. Do at least a 2nd flashback - after BIOS reset - from USB and load the defaults in BIOS screen. The flashback is described on the web. There is a flasback button at the backside of the mobo. (You might also consider to try alternatively the very fisrt BIOS version supporting Zen3 v8503).
  3. if that didn't help for dual dimm boot - use for a start only a single memory dimm. You can try each of the 4 slots one after another. Best chances are counting from CPU: 2nd, then 4th, then 1st, then 3rd slot.
  4. use the safe start button on the mobo to force default settings at startup
  5. in case your Zen3 can start into the BIOS then there is the chance to manually set configurations to help the memory to boot with more than 1 dimm. Use higher DRAM voltage at startup, set higher procODT. Keep it at 1333Mhz (2667 DDR)
  6. in case you succeed to Windows  use the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen and find safe settings to manually set those for 2667 DDR, keep Voltage and procODT on the safe side, try more than 1 dimm. Set all the memory config options that are recommended for safe mode.

In case you have the Zen1 installed atm you can also try first to use the DRAM Calculator to find the settings for a Zen3 and a dual dimm config you want and then pull up the procODT and the DRAM startup voltage at max as defined for safe mode there. Then install the new Zen3 and hope it starts up, or try as above while you have already a better idea of max voltage and procODT. Go for 4 dimms only after a dual dimm works well.

In case you found a working setup for 2667 DDR try higer rates only afterwards. The mobo will then have a working setup to fall back. Don't go wild for highest settings the V-Cache should compensate for most fallbacks on memory settings.

You also could consider a mobo upgrade to 5xx series chipsets. AFAIK some upcoming software feat. will be limited to that chipset series and beyond, there was some sayin like that around the RDNA3 presentation, also it's n upgrade to PCIe4 then. Not sure AMD will enhance backwards support again like they did with Zen3 on X370.

Hi Mazi,

Thank you! I was busy, so I have removed everyting from the PC, including the bios battery and left it on the desk. I wil do a reset and 3 flashback tomorrow and let you know....

0 Likes

I tried what you described, but unfortunately the result is the same. I feel like I've wasted too much time on this. I bought a new motherboard, ram and a graphics card:

Gigabyte X570S AORUS ELITE AX

Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 4400MHz Performance Memory Kit - PVS416G440C9K

MSI Radeon RX 6950 XT GAMING X TRIO 16GB ( I say goodbye to my Zotac Blower 1080Ti )

( The 5800X3D already here )

If they arrived and there is a problem, I will come back to ask questions. Thank you very much everyone for your advice!

PS: Maybe someday, I will spend some time on the old configuration...

Volkdude85
Challenger

I'm guessing its a chipset compatibility thing, the 370 chipset is old in AM4, the product page is talking about AM3 compatibility.  I'd try another Mobo with a newer chipset. I love crosshair had a V and a 8150. I went to gigabyte( more IO for the $$) and have had good luck.  I'm running a 450 ROG Asus something or other now but my other micro atx is gigabyte and it is nice in a 450 chipset I would 570 now for 5800x3D just to keep the wheels greased.  but I think how a OG vs Omega AM4 multi lane has probably changed a little.

0 Likes

Hi Volkdude85,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, but according to ASUS and AMD it should work. In other words, someone is either wrong or lying.

It crossed my mind to buy a new mobo, but only when I feel like I've tried everything. These are the candidates: Gigabyte X570S AORUS Elite AX or ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WI-FI) or do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks!

0 Likes

gigabyte... my money. I have had a few minor things die on asus and crosshair is too much money these days. top end Giga is cheaper than most mid tier Asus and its about as nice as high end asus, not exactly as highend but its spitin distance for a much cheaper tag. and nothings died on it yet on 2 boards3-4 years, Aorus has been good to me.  Good luck 

Hi,

I just tried the 5800X3D with my old ram (Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 @ 3200MHz) in my new Gigabyte X570S AORUS Elite AX. Working perfectly. Something is wrong with the motherboard according to them(?). Quote from Mazi: "The issue on yours is most likely in the quality of the signalling lanes to the memory slots."

I also tried the Patriot rams and the 5800X3D in the Crosshair VI Hero (Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 4400MHz Performance Memory Kit - PVS416G440C9K). Same, 0d error code; this was the 4th attempt.

0 Likes

Chipset has nothing to do with the RAM. The mem controller is on the SoC.
I got every Ryzen gen working on my C6H, also plan to upgrade to Zen3 some time. Forum at overclock.net shares lot of xperience on that, also with Zen2 Ryzen 128GB should be possible.

0 Likes

My ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming does work correctly with the 5800X3D with the updated UEFI.  So the chipset certainly does work.

0 Likes

I just upgraded my Fatal1ty X370 to a 5800X3D after loading the latest bios. I'm struggling with dual channel ram. It doesn't want to boot with two sticks. Which ram are you, or were you using with this setup?

0 Likes

It was four sticks of the Corsair chrome special edition.  4x8gb.

0 Likes
Volkdude85
Challenger

like I said I had a v formula? and a fx 8150 those had there own issues..  It was highend. stuff still died on it like the nic card and I lost 2 usb 3 ports but it was like 8 years old when I handed it off and it still mostly runs.  But 370 is 5 years old ... alot can die in that time.   

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think hyperx ram did have problem with ryze cpus before. did you see manual for your motherboard?

0 Likes

Hi, Yes I did...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have hyperx predator and hyperx renegade 2x8 3200 + 2x8 3200 but with b450 tomahawk max and 2700x only problems I did have is some connection between gpu drivers and ram speed.

I plan to upgrade my 2700x with 5800x3d.

I like wraith prism cooler but I am not sure will that be enough to cool 5800x3d.

0 Likes

Hi, the wraith prism cooler is too small. My Noctua NH-D15 works hard to maintain the 85 celsius. I use MX-4 (old) paste but the Noctua NT-H2 paste is coming soon.

https://youtu.be/qntVQmLHDhI?t=485

https://youtu.be/7VzXHUTqE7E?t=444

These videos can help...

0 Likes

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wraith prism is doing great cooling my 2700x and I think it can cool 5800x with no problem. But I did set max rpm for wraith prism and case fans. I clean dust filters every day because arctic P14 fans at 1600 rpm move big amount of air. Wraith prism at 3500 rpm I think and I dont care about noise and I want max performance. I plan to buy dark rock pro 4 when I upgrade to 5800x3d. I use thermal grizzly kryonaut I think thermal grizzly paste is best and I recommend arctic p14 pwm pst fans.

0 Likes

Not sure if you are aware that the Wraith Prism has a tiny switch on the shell to select two types of functions:

One is for quiet running and the other is for gaming (Maximum Fan speed).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did notice it, small switch with 2 position low and high.