CPU: RYZEN 7 5800X , max temp while gaming 75c

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

BIOS Version: 3302

GPU: RTX 3080, max temp while gaming 58c. Using verticle GPU mount Pcie 3.0

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZSK

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ Platinum

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 PRO 2004

GPU Drivers: 465.89

This has happened both while gaming and while browsing the web or watching youtube. If I am gaming the game will stutter then freeze completely. I am able to tab out of the game but I can't open Task Manager, close the game via ALT F4 / from the taskbar, or reboot via the start menu. I can open the start menu but windows will not reboot when I click reboot or shutdown. If I am in discord I can still hear others in the channel but they can't hear me.

If I am just browsing the web, videos will stop loading, I will be able to browse to specific websites, but if I go to youtube, hulu, netflix, etc the video will just not load, at that point if I try to open the task manager it won't open, and I can't reboot or shutdown via the start menu. Searching in windows also doesn't work.

At as loss as to what can make Windows sort of kind of crash, where I can still move and click around and even browse to certain websites, but can't open task manager, or even shut down the computer.

Things Tried:

- Fresh Windows install

- DDU'ed GPU drivers

- Bios set to optimized defaults, DOCP only thing thing changed

0 Likes
8 Replies
Jansgi
Journeyman III

I have noticed the same problem a few times. 

Specs:

Ryzen 5 5600X

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

BIOS Version 3801 (problem occurred first on Version 3602)

Chipset Version 2.11.26.106

0 Likes

Do you have Global C states enabled in Bios (believe it should be enabled by default)? From some other posts I have seen, I have seen that recommendation floating around, but its hard to nail down if people are having the same type of problem.  I may to disable it this weekend, I am trying to only make one change at a time so I can narrow down what is the source of the issue.

Having a hard time describing the issue accurately since it seems to affect Windows in such an odd way that I can't figure out a good way to search for others that may be experiencing or have fixed the issue.

0 Likes

Any errors in Windows Event Log?

0 Likes

No errors in Windows Event Log. The only error I get is the error generated from me having to hard reset the system. 

I haven't gotten any kind of app crash logs/blue screens/error messages at all which is making it pretty hard to track down. Windows seems content to keep "running" even though things aren't working correctly. 

0 Likes

I actually haven't yet looked at the C-states. I did have a suspicion that C-states might be one culprit because for me the soft freezes happen only while idling and parked cores.  I get no warnings in event log.

0 Likes

If you end up disabling it and it fixes the issue please report back. I have changed a couple things recently so don't want to change C-states until I determine that those fixes didn't work.

0 Likes

Just had it happen again to me while watching Plex, movie picture froze, sound continued. Youtube videos would play very stuttery and couldn't reboot.

Just disabled Global C states in bios, so hopefully this fixes it.

0 Likes
Jansgi
Journeyman III

DOUBLE POST

0 Likes