cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cmermag
Adept I

5800x Worked Fine for 4 days, hard rebooted once and then caught in a boot loop after leaving Bios

Hello,

I'm relatively new to AMD world but landed a 5800x last weekend and wanted to give it a whirl. 

System: 

AMD 5800x
Asus Rog Strix B550-e (originally updated non-beta 1204 BIOS through usb)
G.Skill RipJaw F4-3600C16D-32GVKC 2x16GB
EVGA 850 GA PSU

Installed Windows 10 from USB stick, went fine. Switched over to 3080 from my 6700K rig, and had about 4 days of zero problems. Day 5, I had a game alt-tabbed and reading a web page and the computer randomly rebooted, then immediately proceeded to reboot after leaving the bios, first with a quick spin of the windows animated dots then reboot, then "windows automated repair" for a nanosecond, then reboot. I checked the PSU with a 1000W corsair I had from another system, same problem. I updated the beta to 1214 (beta), same problem. I pulled the memory sticks from slot 4, keeping in slot 2, same problem. The motherboard eventually got to a point where it wouldn't post with an error code 02 AP Initialization before microcode loading. I tried an older video card with the same problem. I returned the motherboard for a new one and got 2 new sticks of memory and just installed tonight with 1204 BIOS. Same problem. 

I tried re-installing from the same usb stick that worked originally, it would reboot immediately after trying to load the initial windows setup after the bios without errors.

I've tried re-installing from a different USB stick, both MBR and UEFI capable using RUFUS. I get errors when the stick tries to load windows: IRQ not less or equal, or KMODE_exception_not_handled.

Temp on idle in Bios - 40-44c
Freq: 3800MHZ
Core CPU Voltage: 1.472 (have notice a 1.488

I'm somewhat at a loss, having tried swapping just about everything for everything else? RMA the CPU? Everything worked fine for 4 days.. *Shrug* Temp under gaming loads ~ 70-72C.

Thanks for any help

15 Replies
Hot5950x
Adept I

@cmermag wrote:

Hello,

I'm relatively new to AMD world but landed a 5800x last weekend and wanted to give it a whirl. 

System: 

AMD 5800x
Asus Rog Strix B550-e (originally updated non-beta 1204 BIOS through usb)
G.Skill RipJaw F4-3600C16D-32GVKC 2x16GB
EVGA 850 GA PSU

Installed Windows 10 from USB stick, went fine. Switched over to 3080 from my 6700K rig, and had about 4 days of zero problems. Day 5, I had a game alt-tabbed and reading a web page and the computer randomly rebooted, then immediately proceeded to reboot after leaving the bios, first with a quick spin of the windows animated dots then reboot, then "windows automated repair" for a nanosecond, then reboot. I checked the PSU with a 1000W corsair I had from another system, same problem. I updated the beta to 1214 (beta), same problem. I pulled the memory sticks from slot 4, keeping in slot 2, same problem. The motherboard eventually got to a point where it wouldn't post with an error code 02 AP Initialization before microcode loading. I tried an older video card with the same problem. I returned the motherboard for a new one and got 2 new sticks of memory and just installed tonight with 1204 BIOS. Same problem. 

I tried re-installing from the same usb stick that worked originally, it would reboot immediately after trying to load the initial windows setup after the bios without errors.

I've tried re-installing from a different USB stick, both MBR and UEFI capable using RUFUS. I get errors when the stick tries to load windows: IRQ not less or equal, or KMODE_exception_not_handled.

Temp on idle in Bios - 40-44c
Freq: 3800MHZ
Core CPU Voltage: 1.472 (have notice a 1.488

I'm somewhat at a loss, having tried swapping just about everything for everything else? RMA the CPU? Everything worked fine for 4 days.. *Shrug* Temp under gaming loads ~ 70-72C.

Thanks for any help

I know you've replaced some kit but hear me out.

I had almost exactly the same issue. 5950x. I think even halting on the 02AP POST too. What I did was, after about 20 hours of solid troubleshooting, reseat the RAM. It sounds odd, I know, but I went through several attempts to reseat. The first threw a DRAM error on POST. The second the same. I took all DRAM out, reset CMOS, powered down fully, then populated only the primary two slots and powered on. Then powered down again, put the second two sticks in, making sure they were properly seated and powered on again and it worked.

Ran Memtest through these stages too, to make sure what was seated was working and made notes as I went, to make sure I could refer back.

I feel your pain. Aching arms and legs after so much time troubleshooting but here I am, answering your post on the same PC that, yesterday evening, was a shambles just by reseating as much as I could and each time, testing the results.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! I will be sure to check seating (I also read people reseating video cards fully) after I'm finishing some memory testing. I'm not sure what people are using these days, I could boot into memtest86 from a thumb stick but reading a few google searches seems to say that's not necessarily the thing to run; having said that, I'm through 2 hours and 46 minutes of memory testing on pass 3/4 and 0 errors. 

It just seems to me some type of bus error when the driver tries to load initially off of thumb stick (or my original m.2). I've tried an old 1060 vidcard and a new 3080 vidcard.. But I'll try reseating the memory after this go around.. Thanks for the suggestion

Be aware that all the motherboard manufacturers are racing to push out new BIOS versions to solve the issues you describe.

I had a 3800X and upgraded to a 5950X and it was a traumatic experience. Stability only came with manually setting voltages. The good news is that for my board a new BIOS was released last night which allowed me to regain stability without any manual voltage settings. I am also now able to use PBO and XMP/DOCP.

I would recommend installing these latest BIOS versions which should solve your problems. :)

if you MB manufacturer has not released one yet, it should not be far off. Good luck!

Its terrible to send out new hardware that doesn't work. Seems as if no one has a good working bios for any amd board. My new 5800x would not boot until i dropped the memmory speed to 3200mhz. Then it would not clean install windows. Updated to newest bios before would work and then it still SUCKED. 3 minute load time on gen 4 nvme and 32 gigs ram. Updated windows and drivers and would not reboot.

My 9900k and 3900x walks all over this piece of JUNK. Pulling it out and putting 3900x back in. Boot time is only 20 sec. Not 3 minutes. If companyies can't get things right before shipping,DON'T SEND IT OUT. And yes I AM very pissed off. spent 2 days trying to get it running before finding out JUST ABOUT EVERYONE is having same problems.

SO AMD. Get your act straight before INTEL wipes you out again

0 Likes

Unfortunately no help on re-seating memory, latest Asus bios, etc. I've also tried disabling some cores to no effect. Thankfully AMD has started the RMA process and I just shipped it out yesterday.

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Keep us updated on the RMA and your next attempt.

Stuff like this can very easily trigger an emotional response but just take things one step at a time. You'll get there.

Thanks for that :) I'm ok, it took them a week to respond to the RMA email other than the original canned response. They accepted my troubleshooting steps. The chip arrived today, not sure what happens next I guess they have to test it.

One thing I did remember when it was working, the mouse had some sluggish lag at times and I was reading about WHEA errors, hopefully by the time this comes back the bios partners will continue to update.

0 Likes

FYI, I received an email that AMD received my processor and it was accepted as an RMA product, and I will receive an email about a replacement product "shortly". :) So looks like I just got a bum lottery; we'll see what their stock is like but good news on that front

So as an update: I received my new AMD 5800x in the mail yesterday from AMD RMA center in Miami. I installed it today and so far so good! Hats off to their RMA team, even though it took a week for the initial response to the email, once I sent it fedex, it arrived on the 22nd, they noted it was accepted as an rma defect and I received the new one on the 28th.

FYI, a few bugaboos I've been tracking: pcie auto caused my usb ports to become problematic (noted from other readings that it causes constant drops, I turned them back to gen3 and all is well). Also when using DOCP and I shut down the power supply, it boots into 0d bios code and I have to reset the CMOS.. I'll look into these a little more but I've got it stable and at good temps using asus b550-e 1601 beta bios. 

0 Likes

I'm happy that's working for you, my 5800X has also been nothing but a nightmare, it worked for 24 hours (with some instability, sluggish mouse when dragging some windows). Then it got hit by blue screen city.  It would no longer boot into windows or even into a windows installer.  Removed hardware, different BIOS, disabled stuff in BIOS... any suggestion I ran across, and it would never work.  I'm currently waiting for my RMA response from AMD.

This is the first AMD chip I've every purchased, and it's been so darn frustrating.  Your good news gives me hope that AMD will actually give me a working product.

Same here, first AMD chip as a processor. Btw sluggish mouse (usb problems) appears to be an issue with pcie 4.0 settings, I turned it down to pcie gen 3 in the bios and the behavior went away. Sounds like you had the exact same issue I had! Interesting. Well, once you get the rma process going they appear to have stock and it went very fast. Good luck

0 Likes

Disable P states
Manually set pcie to whatever you need

Problem solved

Also check your VDDP VDDG in Ryzen master

I need 1000mV to be stable

But the beta bios im running on my x570 only sets 900

0 Likes

I have literally the exact same problem.  System was fine for a few hours, ran some benchmarks, ran some games, then all of a sudden blue screen.  Afterwards windows won't load, nor will the windows installer via USB.  What I have boiled it down to is the Core Performance Boost (CPB) setting in bios.  Will it disabled my rig runs normally.  Albeit it doesn't turbo to the high frequencies that we all want and expect from a $700 cpu but at least its usable until MSI and AMD can get their crap together and resolve it.

Currently I have A-XMP set to my ram's profile of 3600 CL16, PBO enabled (doesn't do anything with CPB disabled) and as stated CPB disabled.  I know its not the be all end all solution, but give it a shot to see if CPB is the issue for you as well.

Cheers!

0 Likes

Which motherboard do you have?  I'm anxiously waiting too 

0 Likes