cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Awakeford
Journeyman III

5800x Voltage/Temps

Hello All, I am writing this post looking for some validation/peace of mind.

I just got done building my first PC, first time using a Ryzen CPU. Everything runs great, I love it...but using Ryzen Master, I see my voltage is a bit high and I want to see if this is considered normal for 5800x/my setup.

While idle, the temp is 30c-35c and the CPU Voltage is 0.90-1.10v. While gaming (Warzone, Halo, WoW) temps are 55c-65c and Voltage is consistently 1.385-1.45v and PBO is enabled, however the CPU comes out of the box. All settings for CPU, GPU, MOBO are stock, with the exception of enabling XMP. Like I previously said, everything runs great but when I looked to see how my temps/voltage compared to others, I've seen a mixed bag of answers regarding the voltage. I haven't run any test programs like Cinebench or anything yet, I wanted to see if anyone had any insight prior to doing that. Here is my setup, thanks for the advice in advance!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32gb (2 x 16) 3200mhz
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCue H100i RBG Pro XT
GPU: EVGA GeForce 3060 Ti FTW3
PSU: EVGA 650w Supernova Gold 80
Cooling: 4x Corsair iCue SP120 RGB Fans
Case: Corsair iCue 4000X

I don't think hard drives are relevant for this but:
Samsung 970 Evo 500GB SSD
Corsair Force MP500 240GB SSD
Seagate 2 TB 7200RPM HDD

0 Likes
1 Solution
tenzo23
Elite

Totally normal. The 5800X runs hotter than the higher core count 5900X and 5950X.

PBO is boosting at higher voltages because you have good cooling and there's more thermal room to work with. So, no worries!

You can improve temps even further by setting manual PBO Limits and setting Negative Curve Optimizer values.

For a quick and simple guide, find your 2 fastest cores in Ryzen Master, indicated by a yellow star and white dot (you will see in Ryzen Master that core count starts at C01, but in BIOS you might see core count start at C0, so just remember C0=C1 or core 1, and so on). Your fastest cores should have LESS negative CO because they need tighter parameters to run stable. After some tests and benchmarks I found -10 on my fastest core, -15 on 2nd fastest, and -30 on other cores worked best for my 5800X.

From there you can start increasing Boost Clock and tweaking individual cores.

I was new to all this, but I found this YouTube video very helpful - https://youtu.be/4o5AZM0AJXA

/sig Fun guy.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
tenzo23
Elite

Totally normal. The 5800X runs hotter than the higher core count 5900X and 5950X.

PBO is boosting at higher voltages because you have good cooling and there's more thermal room to work with. So, no worries!

You can improve temps even further by setting manual PBO Limits and setting Negative Curve Optimizer values.

For a quick and simple guide, find your 2 fastest cores in Ryzen Master, indicated by a yellow star and white dot (you will see in Ryzen Master that core count starts at C01, but in BIOS you might see core count start at C0, so just remember C0=C1 or core 1, and so on). Your fastest cores should have LESS negative CO because they need tighter parameters to run stable. After some tests and benchmarks I found -10 on my fastest core, -15 on 2nd fastest, and -30 on other cores worked best for my 5800X.

From there you can start increasing Boost Clock and tweaking individual cores.

I was new to all this, but I found this YouTube video very helpful - https://youtu.be/4o5AZM0AJXA

/sig Fun guy.

Awesome, thanks!

I am a novice myself and typically like keeping settings stock so I don’t mess anything up. Thanks for the video and recommendations for the Curve Optimizer, I’ll use them if I end up changing anything. 

0 Likes