cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Pure2
Journeyman III

5800x ryzen master

I am trying lower temps on the 5800x using ryzen master.

Are these settings safe  PPT 115 TDC 100 EDC 100 ?

Also will these settings have an effect on performance on the CPU and cause any problems with my motherboard Gigabyte Aorus master X570s chipset?

AMD 5800x
Gigabyte X570s Aorus Master Rev.1.0
Ripjaws 4 24 Gbs
Asus Strix 1060 6 Gbs Memory
0 Likes
6 Replies

See if this gamer's article about PBO in BIOS Settings helps you with your decision on EDC and other Ryzen Master Icons: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

It mentions maximum EDC for 105 TDP rated CPUs Motherboard sockets as an example:

Package Power Tracking (“PPT”): The PPT threshold is the allowed socket power consumption permitted across the voltage rails supplying the socket. Applications with high thread counts, and/or “heavy” threads, can encounter PPT limits that can be alleviated with a raised PPT limit.

1. Default for Socket AM4 is at least 142W on motherboards rated for 105W TDP processors.
  2. Default for Socket AM4 is at least 88W on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.

Thermal Design Current (“TDC”): The maximum current (amps) that can be delivered by a specific motherboard’s voltage regulator configuration in thermally-constrained scenarios.

1. Default for socket AM4 is at least 95A on motherboards rated for 105W TDP processors.
  2. Default for socket AM4 is at least 60A on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.

Electrical Design Current (“EDC”): The maximum current (amps) that can be delivered by a specific motherboard’s voltage regulator configuration in a peak (“spike”) condition for a short period of time.

1. Default for socket AM4 is 140A on motherboards rated for 105W TDP processors.
  2. Default for socket AM4 is 90A on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.

What is important to note is that PBO only affects these three power limits. The effect on CPU clock speed is indirect, and PBO will never boost the CPU past the advertised clocks. At best it will allow the CPU to maintain boost clocks longer and more often, and therefore PBO will have the strongest effect on scenarios where the CPU is already able to boost. Because one of the constraints is thermal, PBO will also have less effect on CPUs that are already well-cooled and not bumping up against that limit. Remember that in addition to these three power limits PB is constrained by temperature and max boost clocks, and these limits are not affected by PBO.

Edit: How high are your CPU temperatures?  If it reaches 90c then it is overheating and throttling since the Maximum Operating Temperature is 90c for your processor.

IF it is reaching 90c make sure your CPU Cooler is correctly installed and working normally. You could be using a under powered CPU Cooler.

What is the Make & Model of your CPU Cooler. It must have a TDP Rating greater than 150 watts for your 105 Watt CPU TDP rated processor.

Also see if temps are slightly cooler with the side panel of your PC case. If it is that indicates poor air circulation inside your PC case.

The cpu is hitting 80 to 90C when gaming I have the case open. The cooler is Noctua NH-14US with 140mm two fans and the thermal rating is 160 I am using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste also the BIOS are updated.

Thanks for you help

AMD 5800x
Ripjaws 4 24 Gbs
0 Likes

You have a high TDP rated processor at 105 Watts.

According to Noctua your CPU Cooler should be strong enough to keep your CPU from overheating:

Screenshot 2023-02-19 214112.png

By any chance do you have both CPU Cooler fans in a Push-Pull configuration?

One fan pushes in air and the second fan pushes out air.

If you have it set as Push-Push or Pull-Pull configuration your are counteracting the air from going through the heat sink efficiently possibly causing high temperatures.

I would double check the installation of your CPU Cooler since it is reaching overheating and throttling temperatures (at or above 90c).

Here is one YouTube video showing how to correctly install your CPU Cooler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbcimkmNi-c

0 Likes

I have the CPU cooler in a push pull configuration. What I am trying to find out is what settings for PPT, TDC,EDC, can I set to lower temps without too degrading the performance of the CPU too much.

AMD 5800x
Ripjaws 4 24 Gbs
0 Likes
ryzen_type_r
Challenger

@Pure2 wrote:

Are these settings safe  PPT 115 TDC 100 EDC 100 ?

Also will these settings have an effect on performance on the CPU and cause any problems with my motherboard Gigabyte Aorus master X570s chipset?

Those numbers are fine.  The fused (AMD default) values for the 5800X are 142/95/140.  Your TDC of 100 is slightly higher than 95, but it isn't high enough to cause issues.

ECO mode numbers are 88/60/90, you can try those using RM if you want.

Of course it affects performance of the CPU, you're telling the CPU not to draw as much power/current as it would normally.  But depending on the workload it may or may not be very noticeable.  For example, in a game if your FPS drops from 140 to 120, is it going to bother you?

Ideally though, if you're trying to keep temps in check, you should be looking at better CPU cooling, depending on what you have now.  But I can understand if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

Modern high performance CPU's draw a lot of power and run hot.  The 5800X under certain high loads will run up to 90C.  If this bothers you, look for 'Platform Thermal Limit' in your BIOS, and set it to a lower value.  The CPU will then respect that as the new temp limit.

For example, my 5800x rig is running at the stock 142/95/140, using a Noctua NH-U12S heatsink (a good CPU cooler, but not the best) with an Arctic fan.  For some reason, my brain doesn't like the value of 90 for the maximum operating temperature, so I set the Platform Thermal Limit to 85.  The computer runs great and I don't worry about temperatures.

0 Likes

Thanks for your help.

AMD 5800x
Ripjaws 4 24 Gbs
0 Likes