Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

5800x running extremely hot

So when I run cinebench or even the benchmark included with Ryzen master, my cpu boosts up to about 4.4 ghz, my core temp skyrockets to 85-89 degrees and sustains that temperature the entire time. My 3700x Never got that hot under the same cooling (be quiet! dark rock pro 4)

Is this because of the infancy of the bios? I'm underclocking my memory profile because i cant boot due to BSOD when using the default DOCP profile as well.

14 Replies
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: 5800x running extremely hot

Same, it was around 87 degrees when I ran cinebench, same temps when I ran Aida64 stress test (only a few minutes).
I also use be quiet! dark rock pro 4 for cooling

Case - be quiet! pure base 500dx

Ambient temps - 23 degrees

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

The 3700X is a 65w TDP processor while the 5800X is a 105w TDP processor, so it's going to put a much larger strain on your cooling system. It is possible your motherboard's BIOS is using too aggressive a voltage, but the much higher TDP explains why it is getting to those temperatures.

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have the same problem i use a kraken x62 i dont know what i cant do to fix this temp problems -.-

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

https://community.amd.com/thread/196209 

what case, ambient temps,cooler installed correct? Lots of variables that you haven't listed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Yes, i understand that by design, this chip will run hotter. however, the benchmarks ive been seeing dont even come close to 90c. 75-80 is what ive been seeing. Its possible that the bios needs to be updated to change how the voltage is handled or something.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

what kind of motherboard are you running?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

My 5800X is also having this same temperature issue when running benchmarks.

I've tried different coolers (280mm water and D15), different thermal pastes and multiple reseating of the heatsinks.

My motherboard is Gigabyte B550 Master with the latest bios installed.

Pretty much all review sites reports much lower temperature except Anadtech. 

Anandtech review also reported 90C.

"Also of note are the last two processors – both processors are reporting 4450 MHz all-core turbo frequency, however the 5800X is doing it with 14.55 W per core, but the 5600X can do it with only 10.20 W per core. In this instance, this seems that the voltage of the 5800X is a lot higher than the other processors, and this is forcing higher thermals – we were measuring 90ºC at full load after 30 seconds (compared to 73ºC on the 5600X or 64ºC on the 5950X), which might be stunting the frequency here."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Until a better fix, you may try to run the processor in ECO mode: temps should drop, but unfortunately also clock frequency on all cores. If you only use it for gaming, you should still be able to achieve good frequency on single core.

I know this is not a real fix, but at least you don't risk to compromise your system, until a real fix is suggested. Could be the Bios of course, in which case setting it on the safe side temporarily will ultimately be beneficial.

There are many reports which suggest that 5800x runs at higher temperatures. If I'm not mistaken, 5800x die is a single CCD which consumes the same power as a the 2 CCDs on the 5900x; this makes it use more voltage and therefore power. 

If you know what you are doing, you could also trying to undervolt the CPU on max boost and play with negative offset, but this can be dangerous territory and it's entirely at your peril.

0 Kudos