cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

5800X RMA — ETA?

Hello there,

I'm not entirely sure why my last post was marked as spam, but I'll explain my situation briefly.

Last Tuesday, I filed a warranty claim with AMD for my Ryzen 7 5800X, because one of the cores was defective and causing graphic artifacting on multithread applications. I haven't received a response yet, and while I suspect the Thanksgiving holiday has created a backlog of warranty requests, I'd like to know the status of the case I opened last week, as it has been six days now.

My ticket number is 8201026843.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Alright, so here's my last update:

I got my replacement 5800X in the mail today, and FedEx delivered it very quickly—true to @tatane's word indeed. It works and I can finally not worry about having just seven cores!

Thank you to all those who responded to this thread. This case is closed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies

@Matt_AMD  may be able to check that for you. 

If you don't hear back in another day or two. Just start the RMA process request over again. 

With the Holiday and Covid yah I'm sure it's all running slow but tomorrow is a whole week so like I said give em till Wed maybe. 

Certainly! COVID-19 has slowed everything down and it's quite unfortunate, but well, what else can we do? Thanks for the answer. I'll wait until Wednesday and then follow up on this thread.

Hopefully @Matt_AMD's able to check on my ticket before then!

0 Likes

He's been pretty good at helping folks with those requests in the past. 

mrsense
Adept II

It took them 5 days to respond  to my RMA initation and another 2 weeks to finally approve the RMA.

Once they respond, they will ask you to provide lots of information and photos.

0 Likes

AMD just got back to me today—indeed @mrsense, they've asked for plenty of information, but to be honest? The more they can work with, the better, and I've documented enough evidence to hopefully warrant an RMA.

Now I wait until they get back.

0 Likes

Hi again—I hate to be a bother, but it's been about a week since AMD got back to me and I replied to their technical questionnaire with diagnostic information and evidence for my RMA request.

Should I wait a little longer, ping a community manager, or open up a new ticket referencing my current one?

0 Likes

Email them again.

I shipped the defective cpu to Florida a week ago.  I just got the final approval of RMA email.  They will ship out a replacement cpu to me shortly.

0 Likes

I think they are getting swamped and it's just long turn around. I put in an RMA request on Dec 1st and have not heard back yet.

I wonder what an acceptable turn around in the industry is.

0 Likes

That they're getting swamped right now—I figured as much. Worst comes to worst, I'll just open an RMA ticket again on Thursday, referencing my original ticket number if I have not heard back in time.

0 Likes

Alright, so I created a new followup ticket (8201033573) to my original one (8201026843), and hopefully I will be able to get AMD's attention—but I realize that I should put a damper on my expectations.

I've been lurking elsewhere on the forum and read about someone who's lost far more time than necessary (and even had to create more tickets than necessary) in RMAing his 5950X—all to learn a week after AMD received his defective chip that they did not have any stock for him at the moment. I feel for that guy, but such is, sadly, the state of affairs in a time like this...

So I've decided to keep that story in mind as I continue on with my RMA process.

You may want to try and call your local amd support number ( https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-call )... Even tho they state they no longer do warranty stuff on the phone in the "welcome" (more like "get lost") message, this still helped my requests getting a bit faster answers when it felt about to stall again (pretty sure that's actually what got them to finally offer to send another CPU in the meanwhile so I'm not left with no computer at all since that message came in French after all my tickets , appart from phone calls to local french support, were made in english in the hope i'd get faster answers this way)

It's Christmas Eve here in California, and much has been said and done in the last two weeks since I updated you guys on my thread.

AMD eventually approved my warranty claim without me needing to annoy them on their phone line, they sent me a pre-paid shipping label, and two days later my 5800X was on its way to Miami for inspection. The defective chip passed the inspection tests and AMD, in e-mail, pledged to ship out a replacement, followed by a shipping confirmation shortly thereafter.

The only qualm I have now is that they didn't provide any tracking information for the new chip. Is it going to mysteriously show up at my door next week? Or can I contact AMD for a tracking number on my replacement?

0 Likes

They indeed don't send you the tracking number, but seems in most case you get a tracking email or text from their transport provider of choice in your geo (that was the case for me when they decided to send me that 3100 while waiting for them to have a 5950x they can send me to replace mine) ...

They tend to send it pretty fast once they say so, so it should hopefully be with you soon now :)

0 Likes

I got my replacement 5800X in the mail today, and FedEx delivered it very quickly—true to @tatane's word indeed. It works and I can finally not worry about having just seven cores!

0 Likes

That's weird man, I sent my CPU to them 2 months before you and not only I didn't receive a replacement , I didn't receive any email at all. I contacted them 5 times and no reply. Can't they put out a statement to stop making us worry? Like "Hey guys, we have a huge backlog to cover or a bat stole your CPU sorry"

@aeromachinator wrote:

0 Likes

Is there QC issue with AMD (or TSMC)?

There seem to be a lot of RMAs with the new 5000 series Ryzen.

0 Likes