cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Nathan_M
Adept I

5800X reaching TJMax very quickly and idling high. Should I RMA?

Hardware:
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Mobo
be quiet! Pure Rock 2 (BK006), 150W TDP, CPU cooler (120mm)

Software:
MSI Afterburner v4.6.4

The CPU will idle at around ~50c. It quickly reaches high temperatures under load and will bounce between 90c-92c. I've seen others cite hitting similarly high temperatures even when using a 240mm AIO liquid cooling solution. 

I don't know want to upgrade the cooling system if there would be little to no benefit. 

1 Solution
misterj
Big Boss

Nathan_M, quick answer: NO!

92C is not even possible with your possessor. With so little information, no real analysis is possible. Please uninstall "MSI Afterburner v4.6.4" and post screenshots of Ryzen Master (RM) both Basic and Advanced views running Cinebench R23. RM screenshots only, please. Thanks, and enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

How are temps, if you remove side panel from pc case? Lower temp would indicate insufficient case ventilation.

Also you could try negative voltage curve. Run cinebench R23 three times, make note of average result. Drop voltage curve five points, retest. Continue until performanve drops or machine becomes unstable.

0 Likes

Thanks for the response.

Case ventilation is sufficient. I've removed the side panel and even added additional case fans to improve air flow. The temperatures don't budge.

I will do the suggested cinebench tests and report back.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Nathan_M, quick answer: NO!

92C is not even possible with your possessor. With so little information, no real analysis is possible. Please uninstall "MSI Afterburner v4.6.4" and post screenshots of Ryzen Master (RM) both Basic and Advanced views running Cinebench R23. RM screenshots only, please. Thanks, and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I will use the suggested software and report back. However, I am currently comparing the values reported by MSI Afterburner and Ryzen Master and there is about a 5-10c disparity between the two with Ryzen Master reporting lower temperatures. Idle temps are being measured closer to 40c in Ryzen Master.

0 Likes

Thanks, Nathan_M. That is why I asked you to remove "MSI Afterburner v4.6.4" . RM is correct and most third party applications are just plain wrong. Looks like you are OK. Enjoy, John.

icemachine
Journeyman III

• Base Clock: 3.8 GHz, Max Boost Clock: up to 4.7 GHz. Max. Operating Temperature (Tjmax) 90°C
  • Memory Support: DDR4 3200MHz, Memory Channels: 2, TDP: 105W, PCI Express Generation : PCIe Gen 4
  • Compatible with Motherboards based on 500 Series Chipset,  Socket AM4
  • Separate Graphic Card Required; Included Heatsink Fan: No
  • 3 Years Brand Warranty. For Technical Support : Please Contact : Tel: +91-80-67030050 (Mon-Fri: 09:00 - 17:00 IST); Expect Delayed Response due to ongoing COVID Crisis
0 Likes

"92C is not even possible with your possessor."

Ha  Ha, 92c IS POSSIBLE on your processor.

The MAXIMUM OPERATING TEMPERATURE of your CPU is 90c

That means that is the temperature at which your CPU will start to throttle or slow down not burn up or shut down.

LoL

0 Likes