cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

linuxtechtips
Journeyman III

5800x ignoring temp limits.

Having a strange issue with my new 5800x. My AIO seems to not be enough to handle the thermals for the CPU, so I decided to downclock and undervolt. I tried adjusting PBO and even using the ECO mode provided in the ASUS BIOS, but I would still idle at 75C in windows. Right now, I disabled PBO completely and undervolted to1.0375 volts with a frequency of 4.4Ghz. This solves the idle heat issue. I now idle at 45C. However, when I try to run a Cinnebench benchmark to test for stability, the CPU goes beyond my thermal limit that I set at 85C and, if I don't stop the benchmark, the CPU will crash completely due to overheating. I don't have a clue as to why the CPU would ignore its own limits, but it is. Any info would be helpful and if you need anymore information I'll definitely provide it. I am just assuming I'm missing a BIOS setting or something. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
13 Replies
Zolex
Adept III

I had exact the same issue on my friend PC. For some reason there was no thermal reading for the cpu and was going crazy. High idle temps and crashing on long gaming sessions or heavy multithreaded workloads. 

I had it very quickly solved by updating the Motherboard Bios to the latest version.
Before you try that you also can reset the bios first and see if thats helps.

Did you tested this? @linuxtechtips 

Ignoring temp limits can be caused by two things
a. Problem with the motherboard bios. Reset and or update the bios. Test this out with Manuel PBO settings. 
b. (very) Bad cooling capabilities.

What´s you AIO @linuxtechtips ? I had problems with temps in my 5900x because i had a 240 aio. After changing to 360, the problem was solved

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

How's the connection of the cooler plate to the chip? Also, you could re thermal with Kryonaught. That will get you a few degrees cooler. 

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

Possible reasons:

- Some AIO's collect gunk inside which prevents CPU block to transfer heat. What brand/model AIO cooler you have? Most good brands will send you a new one for free if you have this issue

- Are you 110% sure you removed a plastic cover from your CPU cooler before installing it on top of your CPU? It will ruin your coolers performance. If you are, still check it

- Are you at least as sure all the screw holding your CPU block are tightened properly and you didn't forget any springs or washers when installing it?

- You did put enough thermal paste? Yes, I know there should not be excessive amounts, but if you check any reliable youtube video about this subject, it is better to have too much than not enough... Back in the days you just put some on the CPU and stuck a cooler on it and everything was fine. These days surface area of CPU's is a lot larger and spreading the paste or making sure the whole area is covered by some other way is not a bad idea.

- Your CPU/CPU-block/pump are lower than your radiator so all the air inside the cooling system doesn't get stuck in your CPU block and prevent cooler/block/pump do it's thing, but raises to radiator and stays there?

- Flashing your BIOS is not a bad idea, but unless your motherboard brand made some serious mistakes, it should not solve the issue... Didn't say it couldn't though...

- Enabling PBO will gain you insignificant benefit, but will waste electricity and produce heat. When I got my 3800X and Asus motherboard, I was surprised how much voltage motherboard tried to push to CPU. After a lot of testing I ended up with <1.3V and 4.2GHz all-core overclock. Your 5800X can do better with same voltage, try that, try how much GHz you can get without going beyond 1.325V.

Remember all OC is done at your own risk!

Yes, I have made sure that I removed the plastic cover lol. I even tested the same cooling setup with a 3600x. I did expect my cooling solution to not quite be enough to handle the 5800x, but that's not the main issue. The main issue is whenever I manually undervolt the CPU, it will ignore the temp limits and overheat until the computer crashes. Normally I stop it before it gets to that point, but I had to test. Is there any other BIOS setting for specifying temp limits that aren't found in the AMD Overclocking and PBO section of the BIOS?

0 Likes

See what Zolex says down there. Reset BIOS and upgrade if necessary.

0 Likes

By any chance are you using a MSI MAG Core AIO CPU Cooler?

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

@linuxtechtips go check out this video, it'll explain what @elstaci is talking about (If that's the cooler you have) MSI RESPONDS - YouTube

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

Yeah, but the main issue is the ignoring of temp limits.

0 Likes

The processor is probably not ignoring its Max. Oper. Temperature. What is probably happening is that it can't stop from overheating quickly enough to prevent it reaching its critical temperature where it will shut down to prevent damage.

If the MSI CPU Cooler was  doing its job in preventing the temperature from rising so quickly and trying to keep it from rising so fast then the CPU has enough time to throttle in trying to keep the temperature at or below the Max. Oper. Temp.

If your MSI AIO is installed properly your CPU shouldn't even be overheating at all. Even under heavy loads. I suggest you open a MSI Warranty ticket and see if you need to RMA your CPU Cooler.

There have been several Users here at AMD Forum in the recent past all had their CPUs overheat using MSI AIO CPU Coolers. All ended either RMAing or installing a different brand of CPU Cooler to fix the overheating issue.

I asked one User to install a Air CPU Cooler temporarily to see if the problem was with the MSI AIO Cooler or not. Well after he installed the Air CPU Cooler the CPU never overheated once.  He RMAed his MSI AIO CPU Cooler and got a new replacement from MSI Support.

0 Likes
john123marshal
Journeyman III

Nice discussion. I was looking for 5800x ignoring temp limits issue and finally got the answer. I will apply this and hope fully it will be resolved.

0 Likes

Problem solved. Thanks AMD how to fix divan bed base.PNG

0 Likes