cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

subunub
Journeyman III

5800X hot because of Radeon Software

I wasn't sure whether to post this under Drivers, Graphics, or Processors, but the issue I have diagnosed is that my 5800X runs hot at idle around 50 degrees C with a high idle voltage of around 1.46v, and unlike other peoples issues isn't causing high CPU usage, it's always the software only using around 10-13% at most. I have tried everything worth trying in windows power plans, the only thing that allows me to have the Radeon software open, without high temps and voltages with again, low usage, is to use power-saving mode, which tanks my clock speed boost on the CPU, or essentially slows down the CPU and is noticeable in games, right now my solution is to have the Radeon software disabled on launch by disabling StartCN. That way I don't have to use power-saving mode so I get maximum CPU performance, but cannot have a custom fan curve for my 5700XT, which happens to now get a little toastier than I'd like it to though still within the realms of complete safety it just doesn't fill me with confidence when I see 90+ junction/hot spot temperatures, to mention, the eco-mode in ryzen master did nothing. Normal idle now with Radeon software close is 1.2v or less and about 35C under a Noctua NHD15S. System was built at the start of this year, running on the F32 Gigabyte BIOS for X570 Aorus Elite. If I left anything out please do mention, apologies in advance, it's my first time ever posting something on a forum. In either configuration, Radeon software open or closed, the maximum temperature never exceeds 82-83 degrees Celcius on the CPU in 

If anyone could recommend software for GPU fan control also that'd be just as good of a solution for now if there isn't a known remedy to this issue I would much appreciate it, Thanks.

PS: Please don't try to convince me that those temps and voltages are normal, I know they're not.

System specs:

Motherboard: Aorus X570 Elite

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Aorus 5700XT

Cooler: Noctua NHD15S

Case: Phanteks Evolv X

RAM: 3600Mhz Corsair Vengeance

PSU: Corsair HX1200 (2018 version)

Storage: Gigabyte 500GB M.2 PCI-E 4.0 SSD(Boot Drive), Corsair 1TB PCI-E 3.0 M.2, and an old WD Green 1TB. Not running SSD's in raid or any shenanigans like that.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

10-13% usage on an 8-core processor with SMT means you have two threads running at max.  6.25% is one thread running as fast as it can.  That's just how Windows reports CPU usage.

0 Likes
eld0r
Adept I

heyo,

like Thanny said: that means there is at least one process with a high single thread load making the CPU boost one core permanently. Look in taskmgr and find the process with ±10% load.
If it is said StartCN (?) - BTW: is this the AMD Windows Store App`? I don't see this on my system.
I assume now it is an App or maybe even some gigabyte/Aorus extra stuff.

Try to completely uninstall all AMD (or graphics card related) apps and reinstall only the original AMD Adrenaling drivers package using the downloaded Setup and repork back if that works or not. Should be named like this:
"non-whql-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.2.3-win10-64bit-feb22.exe"

kind regards,
Eld0r

0 Likes