cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

usagi83
Journeyman III

5800x hitting 90C under AOI Cooling - Corsair H100i V2

I just assembled a new system with this processer, and it regularly hits 90c under heavy load (Game spikes, Prime 95, benchmarks).  My cooler is set to extreme in the iCUE settings, and I have tried reapplying the thermal paste.  From my research these chips run hotter, however there is a AMD slide about the temperatures that says AOI cooling should keep it around 80c.  Is this normal, or should I continue to try and trouble shoot my cooling solution?

0 Likes
1 Solution
f60outrunn
Journeyman III

i had the exact same issue, but i fixed it. i had a 5800x using a Noctua CPU Cooler, even on ECO mode it was hitting 78c at idle on desktop. How did i fix it? well it tried cleaning up my pc, cable management, re applying the thermal paste, but barely any difference.

Until i found the real issue.
I looked in Ryzen Master, the Motherboard - on default mind you, was force feeding the CPU with 1.4V, all the time. Far too much.
So i started tweaking, i currently have my CPU Voltage at 1.15V and it has made a massive difference. also tweaked my fans etc but 90% of the difference has been the CPU voltage.

With my fans on quiet mode my cpu temp is currently on 58c, and during gaming it doesnt get over 67c now. So my advice, turn the voltage down. 

Hope this helps mate

My Specs for reference

Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Impact

AMD Ryzen 5800x

Corsair 750W SFX PSU

View solution in original post

8 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hej

So this is really a trend lately

Can you give more info about it? Case? Additional fans? Where is the AIO placed? Is it well seated? How many thermal paste was applied? Can you hear the pump functioning? Is the system free of dust? Room temperature?

There are many factors that must play together to have a happy ending.

But my (personal) opinion about is, a 240mm AIO is not going to be the best for that chip. Another user had this issue with a 3900X and a 240mm AIO, after reapplying thermal paste, max temps went to 79ºC. Still a bit high though, a 360 would be the best choice if you have space for that massive rad.

The Englishman
0 Likes

Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 Mid Tower 

Fan Setup

3 intake fans on the front.

1 exhaust on the back

240 AOI H100i v2 - Top Mounted, two fans mounted to exhaust air from the case.  I am not sure what you mean by "well seater"?

I used a small X of thermal paste on the CPU chip.  I previously tried the pee method, and it did not show any difference in temperatures.  System has been dusted during parts installation.  Room is airconditioned to 74F.  The pump is making what I would consider normal noise.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

0 Likes
f60outrunn
Journeyman III

i had the exact same issue, but i fixed it. i had a 5800x using a Noctua CPU Cooler, even on ECO mode it was hitting 78c at idle on desktop. How did i fix it? well it tried cleaning up my pc, cable management, re applying the thermal paste, but barely any difference.

Until i found the real issue.
I looked in Ryzen Master, the Motherboard - on default mind you, was force feeding the CPU with 1.4V, all the time. Far too much.
So i started tweaking, i currently have my CPU Voltage at 1.15V and it has made a massive difference. also tweaked my fans etc but 90% of the difference has been the CPU voltage.

With my fans on quiet mode my cpu temp is currently on 58c, and during gaming it doesnt get over 67c now. So my advice, turn the voltage down. 

Hope this helps mate

My Specs for reference

Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Impact

AMD Ryzen 5800x

Corsair 750W SFX PSU

That's a great tip actually, many have been doing this on Ryzen chips to tame them.

Let me share the vid I made that is helping some people with the summer. (minute 6:02)

https://youtu.be/yVFjvizChrw

The Englishman
0 Likes

Changing the CPU voltage setting does keep the temps around a more reasonable 67c under a Prime 95 heat test, which is far more reasonable.  I did notice though that it limits the turbo boost to about 4-4.1 mhz, but I guess that's just the trade off of things.  I am curious if the mother boards will tweak their "auto" voltage in the future, or if this is being required by AMD?

0 Likes

Have you lowered your voltage by offset or did you manually entered the voltage to a fixed value?

Because my boost seems to go higher since I lowered voltage on mine.

The Englishman
0 Likes

I did the manual set, after some brief research I understand how offset works, but I'm not sure what voltage I should start my calculations at to reach a 1.15 voltage, any suggestions?

0 Likes

I posted a vid up there explaining on how to do it.

Inside the UEFI/BIOS, depending on your manufacturer, in the same tab as you set manual voltage, there should be a option for AUTO/MANUAL/OFFSET.

= Your board may not have it =

If it does, use the minus option, (overclockers will use the plus) then start with 0.1 or 0.05 and work your way till its stable for you.

This way you should keep boosting as long as there's thermal headroom and since voltage is AUTO+OFFSET, the CPU will request the same voltage as before (if you set manual, no joy for the CPU), the board will then provide what the CPU wants minus 0.1v 

Don't push too much of the offset, because when idling the CPU will ask for a value as low as sub 1v, that with minus like 0.2 or 0.3 from the offset will make the system unstable and crash.

For the future I would think about a 360 or 280 AIO

The Englishman
0 Likes