Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Kongadrummer
Journeyman III

5800x high temperatures with watercooling

Hello guys,

My 5800x is reaching up to 90°C while gaming with custom water cooling. Even with undervolting (Curve Optimizer) the temperatures are 85+°C. I also reapplied a better thermal paste (Thermal Grizzly) and tightened the cooler but nothing changed. The GPU shows perfect temperatures so the flow rate should be also fine. This is my setup:

• Asus ROG Strix X570‑I Gaming (latest BIOS)

• Palit GeForce RTX 3080 GamingPro

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

• Crucial Ballistix 64GB DDR4 RAM 3600Mhz

• 1TB Corsair mp510 1tb NVMe Gen3

• 1TB WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe Gen4

• EK-Quantum Vector RTX 3080/3090 D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi Waterblock + Backplate

• Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge - Plexi Chrome Digital RGB

• Alphacool Eisstation 40 DC-LT

• Alphacool DC-LT 2600 Ultra Low-Noise Pump

• Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm Radiator V.2

Do you think it makes sense to send in the processor and have it replaced? I know that the 5800x can handle up to 90°C but for a lot of users, the processor runs significantly cooler with worse cooling. Furthermore, the fans are too noisy (I'm using Noctua fans) while gaming because of the high temperatures. Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
10 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

Is the CPU block the highest point in the cooling loop?

If so it might be causing air to be stuck in the block limiting flow and cooling.

Don't have much experience in custom loops. 

0 Likes

If the Temperature is reaching 90c then most likely the processor is throttling. 90c is the Maximum Operating Temperature for that processor. Once it starts to reach or surpasses 90c the processor automatically starts to throttle or lower its speed to keep the temperature at or below 90c.

You Processor has a TDP of 105 watts so your custom 240mm AIO should be able to keep it below 85 or even 80 under heavy stress or loads.

Since you have a custom built AIO most likely you have it connected incorrectly in which the fluid is not circulating properly if at all in the Radiator or the Radiator is not cooling the fluid properly or efficiently.

You should verify to see if the water-block is pumping fluid or not. Generally the input hose should be slightly cooler than the output hose on the water-block. Also you should notice some slight vibration on the hoses as fluid circulates.

I notice that you have two different water-block listed. Do both have the same issue as far as temperature on the CPU? Possibly that maybe the water-block is not powerful enough to circulate the fluid efficiently through the radiator. just guessing though if you are using one that didn't come with the Radiator.

I would also check your CPU temperature with Ryzen Master to verify it is the same as the monitoring software you are using. In case you are not using Ryzen Master.

As mentioned, an air bubble could cause a blockage to occur anywhere where fluid flows.

Basically, I doubt it is a defective processor but rather a incorrectly installed or defective Custom AIO system.

NOTE: Another User had a similar situation with his retail AIO system. The User replaced the AIO with an Air cooled CPU Cooler temporarily to troubleshoot and found out that the CPU wasn't running hot anymore. Turned out to be a defective AIO. He had a similar issue where the processor would start to overheat under heavy loads or stress.

0 Likes

The higher-end Zen3s hit 142W under normal usage. With PBO set to "motherboard" they can get much, much higher. Generally, you shouldn't get >75C or so with PBO disabled and good cooling/chassis ventilation, but with PBO unleashed only high-end cooling won't cap at 90C.

Thank you for your detailed answer. This is my build.  I'm pretty sure everything is connected correctly and I can feel the vibration from the pump. The Alphacool Eisstation 40 DC-LT is only the case of the pump. I use the Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge as water-block. The temperatures I took from Ryzen Master. Probably I have to install a different cooler. I still have an AMD Wraith Prism RGB cooler from my 2700x. Do you think it can handle the 5800x?

0 Likes

That should be able to at least eliminate your custom AIO as the problem if temperatures are cooler or the same or hotter than the AIO.

Not sure but I believe the Wraith Prism is rated for at least 105 TDP processors like yours. The Prism is bundled with the Ryzen 3900X which has a TDP rating of 105 watts, the same as your processor.

As per Tom's Hardware:

"Chinese media outlet XFastest has discovered an enhanced version of AMD's existing Wraith Prism CPU cooler. ... However, the Ryzen 9 3900X is rated with a 105W TDP, so we can safely assume that the Wraith Prism can handle processors up to 105W without hiccups.Jan 22, 2020"

Note: the example I gave in my previous reply about the User using a Air cooled CPU Cooler he was also using a Wraith Prism to test to find out if it was his AIO or not that was the problem.
0 Likes

you have false. he has a 240mm rad for both a 5800x AND a RTX 3080. THen it's not 105Watt but at least 425watt... 240mm isn't enough

I think that 240 for a 5800x is already a stretch, it will handle it but not both CPU and GPU.

Is the CPU the first of the loop? Do a bleeding again maybe? The case looks also a very good heat trap.

Are the fans on top set to exhaust?

It could be a great idea to place some feet and 2 extra intake fans below.

But IMO.. 425 TDP total (assuming no overclock and no PBO enabled) on a single 240...

good luck sorting out the temps

The Englishman
0 Likes
CapinWinky
Journeyman III

I know this is old, but PBO will just hammer the CPU to 90°C unless you lower your EDC. It defaults to 142A and there simply isn't any way to pull that kind of influx out of the CPU with any cooling solution that operates at normal ambient temperatures. All those amazing OCs you see that are talking about never going over 75°C and whatnot are either using sub-ambient cooling or being deceitful in some other way (possibly showing scores from a real run and clocks/temps from a clock-stretching run). To explain that, unless you are looking at the EFFECTIVE clock speed, the values shown are just pretty numbers the core wants to run at. If the core is unstable it will actually dial way, way down which means you take a massive performance hit (and get better thermals) while still being able to produce a nice screen grab of those 5Ghz+ clock speeds that aren't actually being achieved.

The 5800x also has an architectural struggle with heat removal, the compute units are all in one corner of the chip because its' the same layout as the 5900/5950, just without the other compute units in the other corner.

What I'm saying is, it comes down to physics. The speed with which you can remove heat energy from the CPU is based on the temperature difference between the CPU and the heat removal thing. 75°C to 25°C (which means your cooler is magic and the bottom doesn't get warm at all) simply isn't a large enough delta to remove the power entering the CPU with PBO going full bore. The only way to increase the delta is to lower the temperature of your cooling, which means hanging the radiator out of the window in winter, ice baths, refrigerated loops, etc.

0 Likes

running pbo all ryzen 5000 will reach 90'C is normal.......... unless tweak own ppt tdc and edc to cap the ryzen power usage for little performance loss....

manual clock and vcore can drop the temp as well but loss single core performance.......

if ignore the temp... you will have top performance of the cpu with aio

0 Likes
ryzen_type_r
Challenger

These chips are supposed to run hot, it's to maximize performance!  It's a different design paradigm to the CPU's of a coupla years ago.  I just built my 5800X system and my last one was a Haswell (8 years old!) and it took me a little while to wrap my head around the differences.  But now I'm fine with it, cuz after a lot of time spent stress testing and watching thermals and power consumption and seeing everything interact, I realize that these chips are really really good at self monitoring and staying within their limits.

If you don't like seeing 90c, go into your motherboard settings and lower the platform thermal limit to whatever max temp you want and then the CPU it won't exceed it.  You will get lower performance but that's the tradeoff.  

0 Likes