cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Thomasdk1405
Adept III

5800x crashes - now solved ! Most likely for all Ryzen 5000

I have almost got grey hair because of this. All bios from all vendors have a tweaker section (their own settings menu) and then the default section in advanced menu from AMD.

How it works and what should take precedence I do not know but should work like this - load optimized defaults - and enable xmp and you are ready. But all those crashes and WHEA 18 logger errors are driving people nuts everywhere. Here is my solution for a 5800x cpu on an Asus x570 gaming-f motherboard. Was very close to RMA that thing.

Update latest bios 4403 (the one with AGESA 1.2.0.7)

Load optimized defaults and enable xmp / DOCP - save and boot and enter bios again.

Go to advanced menu - AMD overclocking/precision boost overdrive/pbo - this setting is at auto - change to advanced.

In new row (PBO limits) change to motherboard and hit F10 (save and boot) and nothing else.

This alone stopped all my problems and crashings !

Why auto all over is not ok I do not know !

8 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

What the heck is "xmp / occp"?  I know what XMP is but  not occp. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Hi - my bad - could not remeber what it was called in asus world !

XMP or D.O.C.P (and not occp ) is the same.

Enable the auto clocking in bios !

0 Likes
Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Another thing that puzzles me - when you visit AMD page for 5800x - it states base clock = 3800 mhz and max boost clock = 4700 mhz. When you launch hwinfo 64 - the cpu states max boost as 4850 mhz as max ? Why is that ?

I know if we take 100 cpu's and the silicon lottery they will have different max clocks. Kind of a car - you have 100 engines and they have different max levels - they then either take an average or go for lowest value and enter that for all engines. Then you can later tweak the data to suit your engine. Same here - if we have some that goes for 4850 and some for 4700 - then you need to have lowest as the default ! People can then try to boost higher - but other way around will end up bad.

Just me thinking !

0 Likes

PBO will allow the processor to boost past the default settings.  Both 5800s I've had went well beyond the advertised boost rate. If you have a good motherboard, good PSU, and a good cooler you might get 4.8 and beyond. I lap my processors, which helps with cooling, so I've had good luck with PBO. It really negates the need for any sort of manual overclocking.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN
0 Likes

Thanks, Thomasdk1405 for your response.  The max clock and lots of other parameters are controlled by the SOC in the processor running AMD written code.  So, If you are not OCing, what AMD says should be the case except for limits enforced.  HWinfo is a free app, enough said.  Please believe AMD first! Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi - yes you are right - and that is also what I want to trust in - cpu vendor knows best - as well as memory vendor knows best. Anyway I found something that I find strange you need to change in bios - so where error lies - no clue. But again - not all needs to do this - some with same motherboard and cpu just work with all on auto and if you google 5800x crash or for that matter other Ryzen 5000 cpu's you will see a lot of those crashes and WHEA logger 18 complains. 

And not just in world of Asus - but also Gigabyte and MSi.

But I'm happy that I solved this one now - was some friends kid I build this one for - and he was sad about this.

0 Likes
FuegoDeVolcan
Journeyman III

I did your recomendations, I hope these changes work for my AMD 5950X 128GB. Thanks and I will try to inform the results

0 Likes
DapperDan81
Journeyman III

Did not work for me, thanks for the try anyway.

AMD 5800X with MSI Tomahawk MAX B450. Latest Bios with 1.2.0.7, Load Defaults, XMP Enabled, PBO with Mainboard setting, still crashing....

Windows is updated and newest chip set drivers are installed.

Disabled PBO, still crashing...

Disabled XMP, still crashing...

Disabled windows fast boot, guess what...

Nothing mentioned here or anywhere else did help. Will send back the CPU to Amazon and eventually buy another sample. Actually its the PC from my neighbors child. It had a 3200G and everything worked like a charm.

I am baffled that this WHEA 18 is such a big deal in AMD CPUs. I recommended AMD to everyone I know, running a 5800X3D in my System, which runs great btw., but this?

I found dozens of forum posts all over with this problem and the only solution seems to be to return the thing and getting a new one... What the heck AMD?!

I wasted hours of my free time with this crap.

0 Likes