Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Aealith
Adept I

5800X Cinebench R23 temperature

Hi,

My system : Ryzen 5800X, ASROCK B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Bios 1.8/AGESA 1.1.0.0 patch C), 64 Gb HyperX Predator 3600 CL18, Kraken X53 (2xNOCTUA NF-F12 PWM/exhaust), chassis fan NOCTUA NF-A9x14 PWM/intake (92mm), MSI RTX 2060 VENTUS XS 6G OC, Sabrent Rocket Q4 1 To.

Testing with Cinebench in multi core, I have seen the temperature reaching 88° C. I'm not sure that is normal. I believe the clock was 4840 Mhz. Reading all the posts here and there, it's quite confusing.

Despite that and without too much customization in the bios (besides custom fan profile), I'm ok with the processor on Windows and Linux. For office stuff or even gaming on Wow, it's real nice (right now, writing those lines, about 35° C). Mostly because the frequency is down to 2196 Mhz and 'wake up' according to the needs (at least that is what I understand).

So I'm wondering if that temperature (88° C) is okay when asking for all the power and in that case I guess I must prepare to change my fan profile so I don't feel like 'leaving on a jet plane' or I must investigate and lower the max clock frequency somehow in the bios.

Forgot to mention the board being an ITX, I got a NCASE M1 6.1 and unlike my previous case, it's sitting on my desk (like 80cm/2.5 feet from my ears) so noise can be an issue.

Anyway, if you have thoughts or advices, I'd be happy to hear from you.

Have a great holiday season

Eric

0 Likes
1 Solution

Due to all 8 cores being on the same CCX in Zen 3 the 5800x is actually now the hottest processor. 

The processor can go up to 105.

In an interview with Robert Hallock of AMD. He was asked about temps and states that, due to the precision boost algorithm, Zen 3 chips are designed to go up to 90-95 degrees and this isn't too high of a temp, it's within range.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
mrsense
Adept II

5800X runs hot, hotter than the other 5000 series.  There are some lucky people out  there with "golden" chips, though.

My first 5800X reaching 90C when running R20.  I ended up RMA-ing it.  It took a month for AMD to send me the replacement which behaves much better than the first one, but it's not one of the "goldens"

If you enabled PBO, I suggest turning that off, or you can leave the PBO on with negative Vcore off-set by 0.05v or more in the bios.

0 Likes

Thank you for taking time to reply.

PBO is enabled by default in my BIOS. I tried to disable it but no visible effect. I might investigate seriously to tweak that stuff.

0 Likes

I just finished testing a theory I had when you mentioned you couldn't disable PBO.  My theory is that PBO is always on with 5800X even if you disable it in the bios setting.  I was seeing not much clock speed and temperature variances between PBO on and off in the bios setting.  With 5950X I borrowed, I was able to see the maximum clock speed and temperature differences between PBO on and off.

0 Likes

Due to all 8 cores being on the same CCX in Zen 3 the 5800x is actually now the hottest processor. 

The processor can go up to 105.

In an interview with Robert Hallock of AMD. He was asked about temps and states that, due to the precision boost algorithm, Zen 3 chips are designed to go up to 90-95 degrees and this isn't too high of a temp, it's within range.

@pokester : quite interesting. If that is by design, it's still quite impressive.

0 Likes

I'm not sure what part of what you are asking is by design but I would guess yes. 

With Zen 2 infinity fabric would bridge two, 4 core CCXs. With Zen 3 one CCX can contain up to 8 cores. So naturally you are now making that ccx core area more populated, concentrating more heat in that same space than before. 

0 Likes
xesap58662
Adept II

What are you planning on using it for?

Unless you are going to be running cinebench all day

I wouldn't worry about it

0 Likes

Of course I don't plan to run Cinebench all day :p But I thought it was worth the test to see how the whole system behave when under stress. Temp, noise, stability. I'm not that 'record hungry'.

However I thought it was a good idea because I know soon or late I will have to encode video (Handbrake and Premiere) and AFAIK it's power hungry .

After 'playing' cautiously (at least I thought so) with overclocking last night, I didn't have much of a result. The goal was not to reach a new performance level but rather to make it cooler while keeping a decent power. Anyway, this morning, I couldn't get any video signal and I had to clear CMOS. Once done, had to reset my memory to 3600. Then proceeded to disable both PBS and CPB.

Ambient temperature is like 19C/66F right now and the system is rather cool (36-42C) on idle. Tested on WoW, reached like 52/53C. Then tested on Cinebench on multi core : 12K something with the frequency not going over 3.7 something. So I guess it's logic with PBS and CPB disabled : no more turbo frequency.

I remember at one of my first try on Cinebench I got like 15K something (frequency up to 4.8 Hgz). Coming from a 4790K, I guess I'm still way beyond what I could get previously.

Anyway I will keep investigating to get somehow a turbo capability with decent temperature under stress (something around 70C-80C). I'm not there yet obviously.