Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gryfinder
Journeyman III

5800X Blue Screens and Restarts

Hello!

I am having frequent blue screens using a 5800X CPU when playing high performance games, i.e. Cyberpunk after ~5 minutes. I just built my PC a couple weeks ago, so I am frustrated to be running into these issues. 

Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi (running the latest BIOS)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 (2x16) GB 3200

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850

Memory: Sabrent 1 TB Rocket NVMe 4.0

CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60

GPU: MSI Ventus OC 3080

When crashes happen, the CPU temp does not seem to be particularly high.

I have read a lot of forum posts about issues with the 5xxx CPUs. Things I have tried: enabling/disabling PBO, enabling/disabling CPB, enabling/disabling XMP, and playing with different non-XMP RAM frequencies. None of these seemed to help. Things I have not tried: different BIOS and playing with voltage/OC settings (bit of a noob here so don't want to break anything).

I checked my RAM (RAM running at 3200) with MemTest86 last night and it gave 22 errors. The test took 5.25 hours, so I have not had the time to individually test the RAM yet.

Some questions I have are:

- Will a future BIOS update fix these issues?

- Could the RAM errors be due to problems with the CPU?

- How do I undervolt/strategies for doing so?

If anyone has suggestions for further troubleshooting or ways to adjust the voltage to make it better, please let me know.

0 Likes
4 Replies
michaelsj1
Adept I

If you got errors on memtest86, then I would buy new RAM. You should get zero errors. 

0 Likes

It's potentially nothing to do with ram, I have 3 kits which are all tested in my 3000 series build. I put my 5950X in and all 3 cannot pass a memory test. Karhu reports errors equal to thread count every time at 7%, this is the same on all memory kits on two different x570 motherboards.

0 Likes

Sorry to hear about your problems. An issue like this can potentially be many things.

Assuming your memory is on the QVL list for your board:

I would not suggest any changes to fix the issue. That is something you can play with when the machine operates at defaults to begin with. 

Talk with your motherboard makers support department. They should be able to help diagnose if they think you have a MB, Memory or CPU problem so you can RMA accordingly if needed. 

You can feel free to contact AMD as well.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

0 Likes
KevinCobley
Journeyman III

Install latest B550 chipset drivers from AMD website (not MSI).

0 Likes